—Daiwa Catalina TW 4.9:1–

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: —Daiwa Catalina TW 4.9:1–

Post by LowRange » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:11 am

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:07 am
reason162 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:57 am
Gary, is this based off the original Tatula TWS frame? Just trying to get a feel for the size. Thanks!
It feels smaller, a bit lower profile and more comfortable in my hands than the older Zillion TWS. Its practically the same as the current, newest Zillion HD. Here is a comparison photo - Catalina TW on left, Zillion HD on right.

How do the two differ in braking profile? The HD is fixed inductor and the Catalina is Magforce Z, correct?

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:43 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:33 am
LowRange wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:24 pm
Does it have an aluminum or Zaion handle side plate?
Aluminum. This reel is solid, smooth, and refined. I'm very impressed with it at this point.

Here's some translated text from the Daiwa Japan site.

■ Robust super metal housing
The handle side plate, main frame, and brake set plate are metalized.
Both side plates are aluminum?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:02 pm

^Yes^
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:03 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:43 pm
bronzefly wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Aluminum. This reel is solid, smooth, and refined. I'm very impressed with it at this point.

Well, I'm sure the actual side plate is the same plastic or graphite or whatever material Daiwa has been using since the turn of the century :lol: (20 years on I think it's safe to use that phrase.) However I think by "set plate" they mean the part that bolts to that plastic piece and both holds the magnets and spool bearing and supports the spool.
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:35 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:03 pm
doomtrprz71 wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Well, I'm sure the actual side plate is the same plastic or graphite or whatever material Daiwa has been using since the turn of the century :lol: (20 years on I think it's safe to use that phrase.) However I think by "set plate" they mean the part that bolts to that plastic piece and both holds the magnets and spool bearing and supports the spool.
:oops: I misread the question. I thought it said "....both set plates....". The guts of the palm plate are indeed aluminum, much like all the Daiwas from the last 15+ years. My pride is the only thing keeping me out of glasses. Guess I should at least look into lasik. :roll:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:37 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:35 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:03 pm
doomtrprz71 wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
LowRange wrote:

:oops: I misread the question. I thought it said "....both set plates....". The guts of the palm plate are indeed aluminum, much like all the Daiwas from the last 15+ years. My pride is the only thing keeping me out of glasses. Guess I should at least look into lasik. :roll:
I think you and I are practically in the same boat as far as that goes, lol.

It's basically the same thing. There's no practical purpose in making the palm plate out of metal. That would just add weight and cost. Since the set plate sits inside of and is bolstered by the frame, and supports that side of the spool, it's the only part that needs to be that rigid. Here are some pics of different set plates to illustrate.

SV Light. The red part is the 2mm spacer. The white part is the aluminum set plate.

SS SV, Steez, etc...

T3. It's a bit more complex because of the Magforce 3D adjustability.

Alphas ASC with 2mm spacer

SV105, Alphas, etc...

TD-X

Now these are different and why I'd like to see the Catalina or Zillion HD set plates. This is a Zillion SV, TWS, and Tatula-R. They're all interchangeable and completely different from the others. I'm not sure if there's any metal to them at all. The part that appears to rest against the frame is the same plastic as the palm plate, but it's possible that the part holding the actual magnets is aluminum. I can't tell.

This is the way.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:00 am

That makes sense now, the Catalina certainly doesn't have a metal palm side plate. The screws that hold the magforce in have inserts instead of being threaded. I'll take pictures of the plate guts tomorrow.

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:11 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:37 pm
Now these are different and why I'd like to see the Catalina or Zillion HD set plates. This is a Zillion SV, TWS, and Tatula-R. They're all interchangeable and completely different from the others. I'm not sure if there's any metal to them at all. The part that appears to rest against the frame is the same plastic as the palm plate, but it's possible that the part holding the actual magnets is aluminum. I can't tell.
The Catalina TW and the Zillion HD are basically the same reel with different cosmetics, different spools and the Catalina has the clicking drag.

Both reels feature an aluminium frame, crank side plate and set plat just like the old Zillion.

I don't remember to have ever seen a Daiwa low profile reel with a metal palm plate. The ones proper made have the metal set plate and a plastic palm plate. In my opinion this is the right way to do it as structurally the set plate connects the spool to the frame as well as the palm plate. =D>

On the other hand, I have seen some Abu Garcia reels with metal palm plates being connected to the frame with a plastic set plate.
Obviously, the buyer gets hooked on the cheap casted metal palm plate and misses the important machined set plate. [-(

Concerning the Zillion SV, TWS, and Tatula-R, I believe they are like the old Daiwa Alphas 150 or the Advantage 153HSTA (same platform) http://www.tackletour.com/reviewdaiwaad ... 3hsta.html
The palm plate functions as set plate and is made of plastic. This is why I have skipped the last Zillion iterations but acquired a Catalina TW. :big grin:

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:27 pm

Heres the catalina, looks like the zillion tws with a different latch to me

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:48 am

LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:11 am
How do the two differ in braking profile? The HD is fixed inductor and the Catalina is Magforce Z, correct?
Correct - the new Zillion HD has a fixed inductor and Catalina TW is Magforce Z. Both are very capable casters but the Zillion HD has a more consistent, controlled feel all the way through the cast due to the fixed inductor. The Catalina TW handles some of the lighter baits I've thrown on it (3/8 oz range) a little better overall, but is still an excellent performer with up to 2 oz (umbrella rigs, swim baits). The Catalina TW feels to be a more free, longer casting reel, but with that comes a bit more thumb control when compared to Zillion HD. I haven't found it to be difficult to control at all.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:28 pm

Got mine out today for a bit...so much power and pretty dang smooth. I see myself using this A LOT when I get to deep crank next year.

Id say it is worth the 189 dollars.

More to come
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:46 pm

After my test and wanting a bit more control, I looked at the inductor spring and it was a beast.

I swapped it with a TDZ spring from TTT and it is much more controlled. The stock spring is the heaviest I've seen in a Daiwa reel.
IMG_20191127_46351.jpg
IMG_20191127_46351.jpg (45.46 KiB) Viewed 7635 times
Also opened up the 4.9 just to see the gears. Teeth are still fairly small but the pinion is a beast. Also has a very long support that goes well into the sideplat bearing. Bunos porting on the driveshaft.
IMG_20191127_10780.jpg
IMG_20191127_10780.jpg (24.6 KiB) Viewed 7635 times

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:59 pm

The 4.9 might be a great long bombing deep diving crankbait reel.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:31 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:28 pm
Got mine out today for a bit...so much power and pretty dang smooth. I see myself using this A LOT when I get to deep crank next year.

More to come
What rod are you using it on?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:41 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:31 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:28 pm

More to come
What rod are you using it on?
Custom Legend Glass. Over 9ft of cranking goodness.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing