2020 Zillion 10

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: 2020 Zillion 10

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:18 pm

I actually like the current mag dial. I can adjust it one-handed and I guess I palm it the right way to not notice it.
This is the way.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:28 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:18 pm
I actually like the current mag dial. I can adjust it one-handed and I guess I palm it the right way to not notice it.
I feel the dial and the ridge under it on my pointer finger. I tried using two fingers in front of the trigger many times but I can't get used to it.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:51 pm

joekaz wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:28 pm
poisonokie wrote:
I feel the dial and the ridge under it on my pointer finger. I tried using two fingers in front of the trigger many times but I can't get used to it.

Yeah palming with two finger in front of the trigger helps to minimize the issue but palming that way feels weird. It is even worse on the big Tatulas/Zilion TWS.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:19 am

LowRange wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:51 pm
joekaz wrote:
poisonokie wrote:

Yeah palming with two finger in front of the trigger helps to minimize the issue but palming that way feels weird. It is even worse on the big Tatulas/Zilion TWS.
I have also tried keeping only two fingers in-front lf the trigger but cant get used to it. Is there a way to increase the tension on the mag dial? I would love to be able to stiffen some of mine up.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:05 am

Houndfish wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:19 am
LowRange wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:51 pm
joekaz wrote:
poisonokie wrote:

I have also tried keeping only two fingers in-front lf the trigger but cant get used to it. Is there a way to increase the tension on the mag dial? I would love to be able to stiffen some of mine up.
I read where a guy stretched the spring that is between the dial and the screw to give it more resistance. Not sure if it works good because I have never tried it.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:51 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:52 am
I'm not feeling this one... yet. It just seems that they updated the old frame with the zero adjuster, new paint job/cosmetics, and the recessed brake dial side plate. None of those things are bad, I just wish they had maybe used a newer frame, like the Steez A. Would love to eventually see an aluminum Steez CT frame, even if it is more than the normal $300 Zillion price. I am also an outlier for the gears, I changed my Zillion TWS 9.1 to the 7.3 gears (weren't bad, just didn't feel as good as the 7.3 set). Personally for me, I have had so many mid priced reels I would just step up to the Steez level reels now. I think I would rather have a JDM Steez CT or Steez SV for $150 area more.

If they did everything you are asking... you would have a Steez A... what would be the point?
Especially when you admitted you are willing to given another $150 for what you really want.

For me ... I have been exclusive DAIWA since 1979 when the first magforce was introduced.

And my stance has always been:
Zillions are for fast bait hard core chucking and winding.
Steez are for pitchin - close work bottom contact plastics.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:22 am

joekaz wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:05 am
I read where a guy stretched the spring that is between the dial and the screw to give it more resistance. Not sure if it works good because I have never tried it.
That's really interesting. I supposed one could replace the spring with a stiffer one as well but idk how springs are “rated” so I don’t know what to look for.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:07 am

The project T 2020 post has gotten away from the discussion on this reel and even swayed into rods on the reel section of Tackle.

So decided this belonged here.

Guessing you will be able to get from Japan by year end.
USDM will most likely be a Feb/March release.

Really hoping the USDM release includes the 6.3:1 and 7.1:1.

https://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/r ... index.html

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Magnesium alloy... Interesting...

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:13 pm

Oh, wow, I simply must have one of those now. Take all my disposable income, Daiwa!!! 🤑🤑🤑
This is the way.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:35 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:17 pm
very interesting copied this from google translate.

( High-precision machine cut Air metal housing Air metal (magnesium alloy) is adopted for the main housing, and the set plate is made of aluminum, so it is lightweight and highly rigid, suppressing blurring and distortion. Directly connected to improved rotation performance and hoisting performance)

But by the weight specs it doesn't suggest magnesium. should be well under 200 grams even closer to 180 grams. not the 215grams as listed.

Not a deal breaker though. The current Daiwa magnesium reels surprisingly do quite ok in the salt. I have been using my Steez SV TW for a few years now in salt water with no signs of corrosion. Even have a guide from Weipa send me his reels for servicing and they are mostly Steez SV TW or CT's and none have salt or corrosion issues.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:14 pm

Doesn't make much sense to me having a magnesium frame, other than to cut weight.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:48 am

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:35 pm
Slazmo wrote:

( High-precision machine cut Air metal housing Air metal (magnesium alloy) is adopted for the main housing, and the set plate is made of aluminum, so it is lightweight and highly rigid, suppressing blurring and distortion. Directly connected to improved rotation performance and hoisting performance)

But by the weight specs it doesn't suggest magnesium. should be well under 200 grams even closer to 180 grams. not the 215grams as listed.

Not a deal breaker though. The current Daiwa magnesium reels surprisingly do quite ok in the salt. I have been using my Steez SV TW for a few years now in salt water with no signs of corrosion. Even have a guide from Weipa send me his reels for servicing and they are mostly Steez SV TW or CT's and none have salt or corrosion issues.
They've already changed to aluminum alloy on the site. I guess the realized their mistake. I was about to ablow a gasket over them using a Tatula CT platform to make a Zillion then still use the same shape to then make a magnesium Tatula CT Zillion.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:11 pm

Damn, I was hoping the weight was wrong...
This is the way.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:17 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:48 am
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:35 pm
Slazmo wrote:

They've already changed to aluminum alloy on the site. I guess the realized their mistake. I was about to ablow a gasket over them using a Tatula CT platform to make a Zillion then still use the same shape to then make a magnesium Tatula CT Zillion.
The zillion 1016SV used that shape before the tatula ct was released. They have added the alloy side and set plates and bumpers on top in this one , basically the same as they have done with the larger zillion 1520 HD and HLC1516