Top Water rod for 1ozers

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Top Water rod for 1ozers

Post by poisonokie » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:37 pm

Cristo wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:30 pm
I always had a thing for glass. When you absolutely need a do all treble hook rod IMHO
I don't know. IMHO It's not much fun for walking baits or anything where the rod is used to impart the action.
This is the way.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:52 am

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:37 pm
Cristo wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:30 pm
I always had a thing for glass. When you absolutely need a do all treble hook rod IMHO
I don't know. IMHO It's not much fun for walking baits or anything where the rod is used to impart the action.
It’s glass but does not seem like it. NuGlas is more like it.
Honestly if you’ve got to give it a shot
Last edited by goldrod on Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:29 am

Well I suppose Poisonokie some can adapt better than others and make a rod do what it needs to do relative to the situation imparting action and all :-k

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:45 am

I am stirring the pot here :lol: I have a soft spot for glass as it served me most excellent for all my treble needs in my YG years 8-)

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:32 am

bronzefly wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:20 am
Cristo wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:53 am
Some goofy a** suggestions here even with subjectivity thrown in :lol:
:lol:

I've been throwing the I-Jack on the new Megabass Destroyer Wild Bunch Carbon Head, among other things. It handles 1 oz range top water baits very nicely. That Valkyrie 71H is an interesting option too... I know how much I enjoy the 71MH version in general.
Off topic, are all the MB Valkyrie rods spiral wrapped? Thanks

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:39 am

TommyG wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:32 am
bronzefly wrote:

I've been throwing the I-Jack on the new Megabass Destroyer Wild Bunch Carbon Head, among other things. It handles 1 oz range top water baits very nicely. That Valkyrie 71H is an interesting option too... I know how much I enjoy the 71MH version in general.
No. The 7'1" H and 7'6" XXH are spiral wrapped, the others aren't.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:43 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:39 am
TommyG wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:32 am
bronzefly wrote:

No. The 7'1" H and 7'6" XXH are spiral wrapped, the others aren't.
Thanks Gary,

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:44 am

Cristo wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:29 am
Well I suppose Poisonokie some can adapt better than others and make a rod do what it needs to do relative to the situation imparting action and all :-k
I see what you're saying, glass is a lot of fun and really effective for trebles, and like I said before, I like it for things like i-Louds, Pompadours, Buzzjets, Chan Wakes, etc, and especially for cranking because the super soft tip lets them suck in the bait easier.

For walkers, poppers, and jerkbaits I just think a short, lightweight, sensitive, super balanced, responsive and crisp rod is best and glass doesn't give you that. The hook set technique is different, so the action needs to be faster. That's just one topwater enthusiast's opinion, though.
This is the way.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:32 am

Just busting balls I agree with your sensibilities. Truth be told I no longer have a glass in my arsenal, only because I have no need as i am currently chucking shoes :lol: I always loved the security they bring when fighting though and absolutely loved my old Powell Max glass for TW even walkers 8-)

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:22 am

Cristo wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:32 am
Just busting balls I agree with your sensibilities. Truth be told I no longer have a glass in my arsenal, only because I have no need as i am currently chucking shoes :lol: I always loved the security they bring when fighting though and absolutely loved my old Powell Max glass for TW even walkers 8-)
Oh, I know. Just thought I'd clarify. The first bass I ever landed over 5 lbs was on a Zara Spook fished on 40# PP, Lexa 100 4.9:1, and a Browning Silaflex 7' MH glass rod, so I know it can be done, but in my hands everything about that combo is far from ideal. IIRC, the bait straight dropped out of her mouth when I pulled her out, so I got lucky. That is a cheap rod at only $50 and I've since done well with walkers on nicer glass composite sticks which I'm sure are still crap compared to some of the high dollar (yen) JDM glass rods I've seen and will likely never have the pleasure of using, so for me carbon is king for those techniques. A fast tip and good progressive taper combine to allow for an actual penetrating hook set and forgiveness to absorb some of the fight, plus it doesn't wear you out as fast as working the bait is much easier.
This is the way.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:24 am

Evergreen Heracles EG Swimming 7'2" MH is a sleeper with braid/leader for topwaters from 3/8 up to about 1.25 oz. Easy to walk with, long enough to slow wake a Mikey Jr., handles 1 oz lipless very well, and plenty of backbone with a forgiving and controlled tip to impart action.

If I want to slow roll Buzzjets or Mikey Jr. type baits all day, and want to bomb casts, I actually like using my MB Orochi Cyber Shootist...again with braid.

FWIW, I have a custom 7'6" MHX CB907 spiral wrapped that I had specifically made with a shorter rear handle length, so I could fish anything from 1 oz spinnerbaits, 1/2-1 oz Topwaters of all types, and bigger 5/8-1 oz lipless and cranks with a do it all mod-fast composite rod.

Some kool options listed here for thought and consideration.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:00 am

I'm using a Dobyns Champion 734C--it's a "heavy" with a fast tip and works 1 oz. topwaters great.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:16 pm

By chance I grabbed the wrong rod. Brought to the lake the Poison Adrena 7'4" Heavy and had to use it for my poppers. Granted they were only 3/8 oz. but after seeing how well it worked, I'm sure it would work.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:10 am

I use my Hyuga 72H but would probably use a H Valkaryie if I had one. Those blanks are great reaction bait blanks but are still deceptively powerful.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:19 am

LowRange wrote:
Sat Jun 18, 2022 9:10 am
I use my Hyuga 72H but would probably use a H Valkaryie if I had one. Those blanks are great reaction bait blanks but are still deceptively powerful.
One of my local shops has the 7'1 heavy valkyrie in stock for full US price. They've had it for almost 2 years and no one has bought it. I want it so bad but I could just order the same rod from japan for $150 less. Maybe I should make them an offer on it since its been sitting there for so long. :laugh1:

Right now I use a daiwa airdx 7' heavy for bigger topwaters.