High end frog rod: heavy-ish surface veg

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: High end frog rod: heavy-ish surface veg

Post by goldrod » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:55 pm

Obz wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:47 pm
Mostly frog pads, matted milfoil and other matted veg(6-8 out of 10) walk the edges and open patches. So, looking for something Between H-XH not more than 7'6" that is fairly easy to walk with. I can walk with a broomstick but the slack I have to throw can lead to backslashes when bombing casts.

The top of my list right now is the st.croix LE 74H. I trust the build quality of st.croix and in my experience the MH rods fish heavier than their rating, if this is also true for their H rods think it would put me in the right "power zone".

I'm curious about the Steez AGS 74XH. Hoping it's not a broomstick.

I've considered the tatula elite ish 74H but the TT rod rack rating of 1.50 makes me think its too light for the thick stuff. Wouldn't frog with my glx 854.

Kinda skeptical of the expride 73XH and 76XH just heard breakage stories but would consider if either is ideal for my intended purpose.

Open to suggestions and will appreciate feedback from guys who have used any rods I've mentioned.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:02 pm

Sorry about that
I took the st. Croix out today and if you weren’t using it for frogs in heavy cover it just could work. It’s more of a toad rod IMHO

it does have backbone and is great for skipping jigs. That the rod that lends itself to skipping for me.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:09 pm

The notion of high end and heavy vegetation is in the eyes of the beholder. I've owned rods that would pull a jeep out of a creek but I did not care to fish with it because of a low hook up ratio.

I have a HE3 7'3 Heavy now that I use for frogs and it works the bait well, casts a long way and I've not have problem landing fish I hook. Is it high end? Is it heavy-ish vegetation? I can only say on Okeechobee and surrounding waters I would not be throwing a frog unless I was around vegetation. My take is it is the most rod I can work a frog with and hook up. I think that is about all one can say about a frog rod.

harry chang
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by harry chang » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:32 pm

I have used Phenix K2 736 for more than 5 yrs. yes, some of the K2 line are fragile and must handle with care. I have beat this rod pretty good and it’s still holding up. Super light weight and very powerful but it is a broomstick with very little tip. That is why I only use it for open water. Too hard to cast accurately into tight places.

Harry

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:35 pm

Obz wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:47 pm
Mostly frog pads, matted milfoil and other matted veg(6-8 out of 10) walk the edges and open patches. So, looking for something Between H-XH not more than 7'6" that is fairly easy to walk with. I can walk with a broomstick but the slack I have to throw can lead to backslashes when bombing casts.

The top of my list right now is the st.croix LE 74H. I trust the build quality of st.croix and in my experience the MH rods fish heavier than their rating, if this is also true for their H rods think it would put me in the right "power zone".

I'm curious about the Steez AGS 74XH. Hoping it's not a broomstick.

I've considered the tatula elite ish 74H but the TT rod rack rating of 1.50 makes me think its too light for the thick stuff. Wouldn't frog with my glx 854.

Kinda skeptical of the expride 73XH and 76XH just heard breakage stories but would consider if either is ideal for my intended purpose.

Open to suggestions and will appreciate feedback from guys who have used any rods I've mentioned.
I have been using the Destroyer Valdivia and it is a good rod if you want long distance frogging. Might not be preferred for close in work. Definitely enough backbone tho.

lape0019
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lape0019 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:24 am

Currently using the Expride 173XHA and think it is a great rod. I have a metanium on it and it balances out really well.

There is a ton of backbone in the rod and it keeps the fish pinned. It is a little harder to walk a bait with but once you figure it out, you will be really pleased with the rod.

I bought this as I snapped a Dobyns Champion 735 the week before a tournament. the 735 walks the bait a little better but the expride is an amazing stick.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:31 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:02 pm
Sorry about that
I took the st. Croix out today and if you weren’t using it for frogs in heavy cover it just could work. It’s more of a toad rod IMHO

it does have backbone and is great for skipping jigs. That the rod that lends itself to skipping for me.
Thanks for helping me rule out the st.croix man!
DavidSA wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:09 pm
The notion of high end and heavy vegetation is in the eyes of the beholder. I've owned rods that would pull a jeep out of a creek but I did not care to fish with it because of a low hook up ratio.

I have a HE3 7'3 Heavy now that I use for frogs and it works the bait well, casts a long way and I've not have problem landing fish I hook. Is it high end? Is it heavy-ish vegetation? I can only say on Okeechobee and surrounding waters I would not be throwing a frog unless I was around vegetation. My take is it is the most rod I can work a frog with and hook up. I think that is about all one can say about a frog rod.
I say 6-8 out of ten because I've never been to guntersville or okeechobee but some of the mats I fish in Minnesota require 1.5 oz weights to break. David I think we have similar preferences when it comes to bottom contact for sure, I really dig my 894 nrx. I like how that H3 could prob be used as a heavy trig/jig rod too. How much more powerful us it than the 894? I'm currently using a Faust for froggin and a Faust for punching. They fish really light for the power they provide but leave something to be desired when it comes to working a frog and I suppose that is the big rub.
BigG wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:55 am

For heavy-ish surface veg I vote Black Jungle Power Versatile. Short handle, casts frogs well and is powerful with moderate action.
Rod seems like it fits what I'm looking for, too bad TTT is sold out. Ill keep it in mind still.

I added the imx pro 885c twfr to the list along with the H3 and AGS. I'm feeling the 885 is probably exactly what I want just froggin. But I like how the H3 and AGS would make good jig rods. I fish out of a 16.5 walleye boat so anytime I can get a rod to pull double duty it helps with deck space. Decisions decisions. Lots of frog threads rolling now got some good reading in. Thanks to all who contributed it does help.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:25 am

Obz wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:31 am
I say 6-8 out of ten because I've never been to guntersville or okeechobee but some of the mats I fish in Minnesota require 1.5 oz weights to break. David I think we have similar preferences when it comes to bottom contact for sure, I really dig my 894 nrx. I like how that H3 could prob be used as a heavy trig/jig rod too. How much more powerful us it than the 894? I'm currently using a Faust for froggin and a Faust for punching. They fish really light for the power they provide but leave something to be desired when it comes to working a frog and I suppose that is the big rub.
I know what you mean about the Minnesota mats. It can get THICK here in the summer. I was using a H3 7'HXF as my frog rod and it is pretty good, but I wanted something stiffer for when a fish gets wrapped up or buried in some thick junk, for frogging and flipping. I just got my 7'3XH Expride yesterday and it's what lape0019 said. Stiff! I imagine it'll be a little harder to work the frog, but it has a reputation as a good frog rod, so I'm not too worried. That also makes me not worry about keeping fish pinned, but with the faster action and stiffer rod than the H3, I think I have reason to worry. Hopefully I can still bomb frogs out without putting too much work into it. We'll see.

If you're gonna be around the Twin Cities any time soon, I'd be willing to meet up and let you see/hold/work the rod so you know what to expect. We just won't have any open water unless we go to a river, which still makes it hard to see how a frog walks on flat/mostly-flat water. Shoot me a PM if interested!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:54 am

Yeah man sounds like I might want something a touch beefier than that H3, thanks! I appreciate the offer but I don't think I'll be in Minneapolis anytime soon. There is local shop that carry expride and prob that model. I have the day off might go up there and play with it. I heard those expride are sensitive so it could double as a heavier jig rod. If you end up casting around in your yard or st let me know what you think.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:58 pm

The 7'3H Kistler H3 feels like more power and better tip then NRX 894. In a test of deflection with a 1.5oz punching weight some months ago the kistler deflected more. My conclusion is they are very similar but different.

I'd also make this point again. Length is a huge factor. one day about 4 years ago I am senko fishing with a GLX 844 7 foot rod and a NRX 894. Same reels, same line. When I was bit, the NRX had far more leverage on the fish. It is slightly more powerful then the 844 but fishes even more powerful. If the fish is down in slop you need to get them UP no matter what rod. in that regard, 7'3 in the same blank is better then 7, but s not as good as 7'6, which is not as good as 7'10.

So i'm pretty certain my 7'3h Kistler H3 will fish more powerful then the 7H, but that said, 7'10H will fish even better in slop just based on length. Further, the 7'10H rod is build for punching so it is not really a H rod but more like xH with tip.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:13 am

The Steez AGS 74XH isn't a broom stick by any means, but has a lot of power and plenty for heavy cover. Both of the "frogging" models in that series have a deeper flex to the blank, more of what I'd consider a moderate fast when compared to other Steez AGS rods. The 74XH does a great job with frogs, and it is a very nice big jig/heavy cover type rod as well. It's very light and very sensitive.

Since you asked about the 71H Steez AGS, it is another excellent jig rod that I like for close quarters pitching primarily. This one is of course light, well balanced, very sensitive, and loads up nicely for pitching. I've sold a few other similar rods I've had after fishing this one quite a bit.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:26 am

bronzefly wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:13 am

Since you asked about the 71H Steez AGS, it is another excellent jig rod that I like for close quarters pitching primarily. This one is of course light, well balanced, very sensitive, and loads up nicely for pitching. I've sold a few other similar rods I've had after fishing this one quite a bit.
How does the Steez AGS 71H compare to a Megabass FMJ? They seem like they would be a close match in power and taper for jigs. How about sensitivity comparison between them?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:39 am

jpmoney wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:26 am
How does the Steez AGS 71H compare to a Megabass FMJ? They seem like they would be a close match in power and taper for jigs. How about sensitivity comparison between them?
They are both fantastic rods, light, powerful, sensitive and I find them to be fantastic jig/plastic close quarters pitching rods. I like the overall comfort, feel, and fishability better on the Steez and it has an edge in terms of sensitivity. Not trying to derail the post, so I will say that I've skipped frogs under docks and overhangs with both rods :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Post by FishNrace » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:48 pm

Just saw the STZ751MHHFB-AGS on the daiwa site pop-up, available in red only. Wondering how this rod feels. I haven't seen daiwa rate a rod power as MHH before either....

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:11 am

FishNrace wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:48 pm
Just saw the STZ751MHHFB-AGS on the daiwa site pop-up, available in red only. Wondering how this rod feels. I haven't seen daiwa rate a rod power as MHH before either....
It feels amazing! I was actually throwing a paddle tail Keitech in the grass this weekend on that rod, along with 1/2 and 3/4 oz jigs... There are some more details and pics on the Tackle Trap site about this rod. PM me for details 8-)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap