EDGE RODS by Gary Loomis?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: EDGE RODS by Gary Loomis?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:02 am

yoshi31 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:38 am
Thanks for the review. I have a first strike spinning model and it doesn’t feel very balanced. 200 is a hell of a deal. I caught one of their “sales” but paid quite a bit more than that for my BW. My black widow is still “processing” I am anxiously awaiting it for this season!
...you wont be getting it this season. Expect a very long wait for your order.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

tmd11111
Angler
Angler

Post by tmd11111 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:44 pm

I don't post on here too much but I'll put my .02 cents in. Back in Oct. '18 I ordered a Delta rod from them. 8 weeks later it showed up broken in half from the cheap rod tube it was sent in. I called and got someone on the phone the same day. He gave me an email to send pictures to and said they would send out a replacement. Aside from being broken in half it looked to be a surprisingly nicely built rod for $149 so I went ahead and ordered a second one. Two months later and over a dozen attempts to get ahold of someone on the phone and email I finally connected. This time the lady I spoke with knew nothing of my broken rod and had no update on the second rod I ordered. After all the confusion was cleared up I think it was another 6 weeks before I got a replacement for the broken one. This one looked to be assembled by a drunk monkey. Lower rod handle was glued on crooked and the sharp edges right below the reel seat sliced my hand open. Instead of even bothering with customer service I sanded down the sharp edges of the graphite handle. A few weeks later the second rod finally showed up. This one had two eyelets on the rid guides glued over. Took it to a local guy to have them replaced. I've wasted more on less in my life by I will never buy another rod from them going forward.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:50 pm

tmd11111 wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:44 pm
I don't post on here too much but I'll put my .02 cents in. Back in Oct. '18 I ordered a Delta rod from them. 8 weeks later it showed up broken in half from the cheap rod tube it was sent in. I called and got someone on the phone the same day. He gave me an email to send pictures to and said they would send out a replacement. Aside from being broken in half it looked to be a surprisingly nicely built rod for $149 so I went ahead and ordered a second one. Two months later and over a dozen attempts to get ahold of someone on the phone and email I finally connected. This time the lady I spoke with knew nothing of my broken rod and had no update on the second rod I ordered. After all the confusion was cleared up I think it was another 6 weeks before I got a replacement for the broken one. This one looked to be assembled by a drunk monkey. Lower rod handle was glued on crooked and the sharp edges right below the reel seat sliced my hand open. Instead of even bothering with customer service I sanded down the sharp edges of the graphite handle. A few weeks later the second rod finally showed up. This one had two eyelets on the rid guides glued over. Took it to a local guy to have them replaced. I've wasted more on less in my life by I will never buy another rod from them going forward.
Sadly, this is a continual thing with Edge, blanks and finished rods alike. It's a shame, too, because they are excellent blanks.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:27 am

That sucks
Like a lot.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:58 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:27 am
That sucks
Like a lot.
Me too...

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:05 am

Love to suppory Gary Loomis as much as I can but the rods i ordered were medium lights but felt like medium heavy to heavy rods no joke!

If i knew they were heavier than they were rated, I could make it work!

Besides that I think the rods are great! Very reminiscent of the old imx mag bass and spin jig models of olden days. Beautiful crisp graphite blanks without gel coat. Rods are the same sensitivity of the imx made today.

The handle is cool but nothing groundbreaking. The reel seat and metal lock down nut are nice and a great homage to old loomis rods with metal lock. The metal lock nut will scratch your reel foot so be aware!

I like the spinning 7'6" medium light for finesse swimbait fishing.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:39 pm

ChubbyGoby28 wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:05 am
Love to suppory Gary Loomis as much as I can but the rods i ordered were medium lights but felt like medium heavy to heavy rods no joke!

If i knew they were heavier than they were rated, I could make it work!

Besides that I think the rods are great! Very reminiscent of the old imx mag bass and spin jig models of olden days. Beautiful crisp graphite blanks without gel coat. Rods are the same sensitivity of the imx made today.

The handle is cool but nothing groundbreaking. The reel seat and metal lock down nut are nice and a great homage to old loomis rods with metal lock. The metal lock nut will scratch your reel foot so be aware!

I like the spinning 7'6" medium light for finesse swimbait fishing.
What version rod did you order? My first strike medium light was perfect until it snapped in half on a cast, my delta has been good for the money but I have concerns with the warranty.

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:07 pm

So my first order was the spinning series manufacturer rated at 7' Medium Light fast. I forget the exact model and it get more confused everytime I go on their website to find info.

Well I thought I'd honor the world renowned innovation in blank construction Gary Loomis. I've typically fished G. Loomis rods for bottom contact and sensitivity. I really liked the old imx rods and I said lets find a nice 7ml for throwing light grubs, jigs, and tubes. And the rod I pulled out took the "first bend" to see it and i felt like this rod was rated to be a medium heavy to heavy spinning. Thought i was crazy so i lined it up for jigging on Lake Michigan and many may think im crazy but i kid you not its a scary stiff rod. Id compare it too the 7'1 mossyback senko rod. The rod isnt bad by no means but I dont want another fellow fishermen to spend 300 bucks on a rod you buy for its specific blends of power and action to find your perfect rod!

If anybody reading this is planning on getting a Edge rod, I recommend talking with an expert well educated that will help guide you to the correct rod your looking for. But if the expert steers you in the wrong direction, send it back!

Ive been fishing Loomis since middle school 2005 and have fished with about all the finest from Shimano Loomis corp and I thought for sure that Edge rods should be exactly comparable to the imx he built and described over the years but after 2 rods that are not exactly like the imx's I fish with, then I definitely not getting high end rods I typically thought Gary Loomis had begun.

Now there could be contracts still in place to prevent him from building rods to similar to the loomis rods that Shimano owns. In my research Gary was in innovator at machine and building graphite blanks but his would not be the foremost expert in rod designing for technique specific bass rods. He could assist in the creational and understand the workings with machinery and graphite to build rods to a visionary/designers specifications. Gary isnt a die-hard bass guy!

I think that full ownership by Shimano has taken G. Loomis to higher levels than what Gary could've done independently. Rods were the best graphite rods in the day but along with the best building process you have to fully dive into bass fishing rod applications and understand how to build a rod to super specifications and Shimano team put the finest designers to the job. After that, loomis evolved with the sport and eventually built the finest bottom contact bass rods in existence and those are the NRX series.

I still have the utmost respect for what Gary had brought to the fishing industry and Its a sad that he is not working or apart of his legacy after being struck with terminal disease leading to death but he wanted his legacy to continue in fishing and continue building the best rods so he sold to Shimano. Somehow he miraculously recovered and it is apparent that Gary and Shimano never could make a working relation partnership for mutual benefits but that's all dock talk.

I look at it as if Gary did in fact pass away, then he could rest easily knowing he made the right choice of selling to Shimano because they built industry leading rods and still maintain an build better and better rods each year. So his dying wish would've actually became true. But a sad story that we all wish couldve had a happy ending. But the story continues!

Im just going to say it here. If your looking for the ultimate rod in sensitivity to have the industries finest. Get an NRX.