Tdz spool in a SS sv

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
joejoe83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Tdz spool in a SS sv

Post by joejoe83 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:41 pm

Anyone tried a TDZ spool in a ss sv? Looking for performance pros/cons before I decide to get a Spool.. really want to avoid going to an SV spool and would like to stick with mag force V/Z

Thanks In advance

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Tdz spool in a SS sv

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:21 pm

joejoe83 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:41 pm
Anyone tried a TDZ spool in a ss sv? Looking for performance pros/cons before I decide to get a Spool.. really want to avoid going to an SV spool and would like to stick with mag force V/Z

Thanks In advance
How much line capacity do you want? Other options could be the 1016 and 1010. You have me a little curious now.

joejoe83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joejoe83 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:50 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:21 pm
joejoe83 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:41 pm

Thanks In advance
How much line capacity do you want? Other options could be the 1016 and 1010. You have me a little curious now.

line capacity isn’t really an issue and usually as long as I get 70-80 yards of 12 lb sniper on there I’m good.

I’m more concerned with the breaking profile of the spool. My thumb is like a ninja so I prefer faster spools :lol:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:11 pm

The TDZ 105 spool was a little too fast for my tastes in the ss sv. Same magnets as the og steez, so I knew it was gonna be fast...but it was just too much work for me. Your ninja skills might enjoy it, though. :lol:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

joejoe83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joejoe83 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:29 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:11 pm
The TDZ 105 spool was a little too fast for my tastes in the ss sv. Same magnets as the og steez, so I knew it was gonna be fast...but it was just too much work for me. Your ninja skills might enjoy it, though. :lol:
It was a little too fast lol.....

I ended up using the stock spool but I replaced the inductor with one from a damaged SV105 alphas spool which I noticed was thinner and shorter then the stock one.... I also replaced the stock spring with one from a TDZ type r+ that I purchased from the tackletrap. Hopefully this opens it up and doesn’t feel as restricted.

Anyone know how the thinner and shorter inductor on the sv105 spool compares to the zillion sv spool inductor since that part is available to order separate? The alphas sv inductor wall was half as thick as the stock one and a couple MM shorter as well.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 6:42 am

joejoe83 wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:29 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:11 pm
It was a little too fast lol.....

I ended up using the stock spool but I replaced the inductor with one from a damaged SV105 alphas spool which I noticed was thinner and shorter then the stock one.... I also replaced the stock spring with one from a TDZ type r+ that I purchased from the tackletrap. Hopefully this opens it up and doesn’t feel as restricted.

Anyone know how the thinner and shorter inductor on the sv105 spool compares to the zillion sv spool inductor since that part is available to order separate? The alphas sv inductor wall was half as thick as the stock one and a couple MM shorter as well.
I just measured the thickness of the zillion sv rotor at .023 or about .6 of a mm, in case you have a set of calipers and can measure what you have. I did not measure the length; I'd have to take it apart at work.

joejoe83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joejoe83 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:23 am

Just took out the reel with all the spool mods and it LAUNCHED 3/8oz swim jigs and chatter baits with ease and control. If anyone is thinking about it, the new rotor and type r+ spring are the way to go. Both can easily be ordered through the tackle trap and really opens up the reel.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:35 am

joejoe83 wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:23 am
Just took out the reel with all the spool mods and it LAUNCHED 3/8oz swim jigs and chatter baits with ease and control. If anyone is thinking about it, the new rotor and type r+ spring are the way to go. Both can easily be ordered through the tackle trap and really opens up the reel.
Thanks for the update

Tony9
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tony9 » Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Took my calipers and SV spools and did some measurements. Length is measured from the edge of the spool to the end of the rotor by eyeballing. Not the most accurate but gives you an idea how much it sticks out. I have a of few Ray's DIY rotor kits but not installed so I couldn't get a length.

Spool--------------Thickness--------------------Length
Zillion G1 SV------0.74mm---------------------4.35mm
Alphas SV----------0.55mm---------------------5.47mm
Ray's DIY-----------0.64-0.48mm (tapered)
SV103--------------0.97mm----------------------5.77mm
Steez SV105 Ltd--0.96mm----------------------4.77mm