Daiwa Sol Upgrades question

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
bmadd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Daiwa Sol Upgrades question

Post by bmadd » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:06 pm

I have a Daiwa Sol that I am going to be using on a cranking rod for throwing balsa crankbaits. What I'm looking at adding to the reel is a 90 MM swept handle and possibly some other options. My questions are
1. If I stick with the stock drag star and bend the tines, will I need to replace the cast control cap?
2. Is the worm gear bearing replacement worth it?
3. Thoughts on swapping to the SV spool?
4. Any other options I should strongly consider?

Thanks

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Sol Upgrades question

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:33 pm

1. You won't have to bend the drag star much at all. Most swept handles have quite a bit of clearance. Do you have a particular one you are looking at?
2. If you plan to take the reel apart anyway, you might as well upgrade it. Minimal difference unless you like the handle to free spin longer on its own.
3. For small to midsized balsa cranks, I think the SV spool is a great idea. They handle wind very well.
4. With a little sanding I think you can fit a TDS/TDZ line guide in the Sol similar to a Pixzilla. It is a bit more of an advanced trick though.

DaveJ

Bass Junkie
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bass Junkie » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:28 pm

Dave covered pretty much everything, the only thing I’ll add is Carbontex. Especially if you’re going to be playing with lighter lines, the $12 or so invested are absolutely worth it. The Sol/Alphas platform is great, and the stock Sol drivetrain is a great speed for your application. Make sure to throw up some pictures when you’re done \:D/

bmadd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bmadd » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:15 pm

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:33 pm
1. You won't have to bend the drag star much at all. Most swept handles have quite a bit of clearance. Do you have a particular one you are looking at?
I will probably go with a stock Daiwa handle from the Zillion TWS. The gunmetal will match the color of the SV105 spool. I can upgrade to make it 4 bearings as well.

I have a Carbontex set ready to go as well.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:20 pm

The easiest way to bend the star is with an adjustable wrench tightened down snugly on the tines, with the end of the wrench just a hair further than at the narrowest spot. Bend it very slowly, with steady pressure.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:49 am

bmadd wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:15 pm
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:33 pm
I will probably go with a stock Daiwa handle from the Zillion TWS. The gunmetal will match the color of the SV105 spool. I can upgrade to make it 4 bearings as well.

I have a Carbontex set ready to go as well.
If you have any interest in a barely used OG Steez 103 handle I have one wasting space in my parts box I'll give you a good deal on...

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:50 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:20 pm
The easiest way to bend the star is with an adjustable wrench tightened down snugly on the tines, with the end of the wrench just a hair further than at the narrowest spot. Bend it very slowly, with steady pressure.
That sounds better than the towel on the counter top method I have used...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:55 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:50 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:20 pm
That sounds better than the towel on the counter top method I have used...
Almost forgot, put a strip of tape on the tines to prevent scratches. Btw, I tried it the way you mentioned to begin with and actually popped the little collar loose. :doh: Had to epoxy it back into place.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

bmadd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bmadd » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:30 pm

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:01 pm

Great job, dude! That looks nice! =D> =D> =D>

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:24 pm

I'm loving the subtle color changes on the reel. After so many years the Sol just looks timeless.
Get your kids hooked on fishing, and they'll never have any money for drugs or alcohol.

bmadd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bmadd » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:56 am

Thanks for the compliments and all the help. Also, thanks to IlliniDawg for the handle hookup! A few slight differences in the two oranges and in the light and dark gunmetal but I think it turned out great! Ready to give it a go with SV spool!

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:32 pm

bmadd wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:56 am
Thanks for the compliments and all the help. Also, thanks to IlliniDawg for the handle hookup! A few slight differences in the two oranges and in the light and dark gunmetal but I think it turned out great! Ready to give it a go with SV spool!
Glad you like it. I had been trying to figure out what to do with that handle for like 3 years. Sorry the gunmetals don't quite match, but it looks dang cool imo. I kinda wish I had a Sol now. If only there was an SV Spool that fit my Viento...

DaveJ

bmadd
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bmadd » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:57 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:32 pm
bmadd wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:56 am
Glad you like it. I had been trying to figure out what to do with that handle for like 3 years. Sorry the gunmetals don't quite match, but it looks dang cool imo. I kinda wish I had a Sol now. If only there was an SV Spool that fit my Viento...

DaveJ
Hey Dave, no worries man! There's not really any light gunmetal handles out there that would match what's on the Sol. The Steeze handle matches the SV spool and but and isn't a big difference from the drag star, CCC, or brake screw. I want another Sol myself now!

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:18 pm

zodiak311 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:24 pm
After so many years the Sol just looks timeless.
I couldn't agree more. Something about that color really grabs me, and I normally don't give two $hits about aesthetics.

l'm thinking it's time to pull my Sol out of retirement and get it back in the lineup ....