St. Croix stagnating?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

St. Croix stagnating?

Post by bwjay » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:03 pm

Maybe I'm having a hard time finding anything interesting that St. Croix has done in the last few years, but I feel like they are just resting on their laurels. I haven't seen any real innovation from them. No exciting new super-sensitive blanks or anything. I just got a newsletter from them that says copyright 2017 on it. Their website says 2018, and it's been broken for the past year (go to freshwater rods to see). Are these folks even trying anymore or what's the deal?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: St. Croix stagnating?

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:40 pm

They have introduced a few rods over 8' long after B.A.S.S moved the limit to 10' a couple years ago.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:58 pm

Just my opinion, but I've always thought that they are WAY overpriced for what you get. Performance-wise, there are comparable rods that are $50-$150 less, depending on the series. I honestly think that the warranty is what attracts many to the brand.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Jan 22, 2020 6:54 pm

I'm going to pick up a LE 7MF spinning rod before spring because of their focus on build quality and durability. My friends&family have st.croix rods over 20yrs old. I have lighter more sensitive rods but never had a st.croix break in a normal fishing situation. I think a lot of the rod industry is just throwing new products at people to create interest, emphasize less on durability and QC because they can just release a new model 2yrs later. If I have to pay a bit extra for a US rod that isn't going to fall apart I will.
Last edited by Obz on Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Jan 22, 2020 7:54 pm

They have a different target audience IMO. They aren’t about flash and bling. Rather simplicity, sort of boring or conservative styling, and quality components like Fuji seats and guides. They tend to target an older audience mainly, a tournament fishing audience or guides plus folks that can appreciate their warranty. Their Avids are good bang for your buck rods and the upper end tiers are nice too. I don’t believe they are the worst in their price point nor are they the best but rather a solid option.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:10 am

I am new to Muskie fishing, picked up my first muskie rod, a St. croix Premier.

But i quickly realized that they are HUGE in the musky world. They have 5 muskie rod series, which is a lot.

Triumph
Mojo
Premier
Legend Tournament
Legend Elite

and the upper ones are super popular. Especially the LT series. they are everywhere on the muskie videos on youtube.

They seem to be putting a lot of effort into the muskie market the last few years, rather than the Bass market??

But I do agree - they take the same blank and put new guides on it (with a lesser guide ring material) and add a split grip and they launch a new rod series. the avid X. Rather than try to design a new blank.

same with the legend elite vs legend extreme -same blank, different components

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:09 am

Hulkster wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:10 am
I am new to Muskie fishing, picked up my first muskie rod, a St. croix Premier.

But i quickly realized that they are HUGE in the musky world. They have 5 muskie rod series, which is a lot.

Triumph
Mojo
Premier
Legend Tournament
Legend Elite

and the upper ones are super popular. Especially the LT series. they are everywhere on the muskie videos on youtube.

They seem to be putting a lot of effort into the muskie market the last few years, rather than the Bass market??

But I do agree - they take the same blank and put new guides on it (with a lesser guide ring material) and add a split grip and they launch a new rod series. the avid X. Rather than try to design a new blank.

same with the legend elite vs legend extreme -same blank, different components
Good point on the Musky scene. The St Croix factory is right in the middle of musky country.

They also appeal to walleye anglers as well within many series.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:20 am

I own several LE LX rods, however I won't buy any in the future.

Pros:
One of the best warranty on the market. 15 years as I recall.
Good rods for the price, especially, if you have connections to get them with extra discount.
( I would never pay MSRP though)

Cons:
They had a lot of issues with QC in the past, had to go through three rods in order to get finally the one with straight guides on it.
If you compare two identical rods, don't be surprised about guide spacing, it may be different on both. They do use bunch of contractors, and it's up to them how to put guides.

And last thing, some how most recent LE LX models come with different guide sizes, they used to have a stripper guide - 25mm on M, MH models, now they use 20mm instead, which is way too small for 2500,3000 old generation Daiwa reels (2500 size has 48mm OD spool), my casting distance dropped just because of that.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:04 pm

i find it strange that they contract out the guide installation when they have such a huge factory

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:02 pm

Hulkster wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:04 pm
i find it strange that they contract out the guide installation when they have such a huge factory
I think a majority of the industry does this. Winston fly rods that sell for a grand does it this way.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:35 pm

Hulkster wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:04 pm
They do both. Not sure what chunk contractors take though... St. Croix sells a lot of rods even in Europe.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:46 am

They have also been focusing in the ice fishing market.

They have just put out their Custom Ice Series...year two or so. Really great blanks. Just that they're following the market in using plain cork handles and no reel seat except on their Apex Predator rod. That's like the best rod and far lighter than current competition even with no reel seat on the competitors.

If they would just build it in the popular Fuji SK reel seats both in spinning and bait casting, they'll have the best ice rods.

but still over-priced. :big grin:
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:58 am

I hate SK reel seats, especially on casting rods. The blank flexes and the baitcaster feels loose in the seat. Dumb design.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:40 am

i hate the SK seats too on both spinning and casting.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:27 am

Hulkster wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:40 am
i hate the SK seats too on both spinning and casting.
Same here. The SK spinning seat is a mild annoyance for me. The casting seat actually makes my hand cramp up after a few minutes. I feel like the rod is gonna slip out of my hand, so I squeeze tighter on it than other seats.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.