J-Dream spool replacement

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

J-Dream spool replacement

Post by NYBASSIN » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:27 am

Hey everyone, haven’t been here in a while but some bad news brings me here.

I dropped my J-Dream spool and bent the edge. It didn’t seem to have any effect on functionality but it bothers me nonetheless.
I’ll be keeping my eye out for a stock replacement in the buy/sell/trade forum but don’t expect much luck.

So my question is, what would be another good option? Looking for similar capabilities as the stock spool. Will be using it mostly for paddle tail swimbaits with 1/2-3/4 oz heads.

My initial thought was Hyper Long Cast spool. What are your thoughts? Thanks everyone.

iabass8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: J-Dream spool replacement

Post by iabass8 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:25 pm

If you can find a TDZ100m spool, I would opt for that. any 36mm spool will work. HLC would be a good option, too.

MountainMan 83
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MountainMan 83 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:45 pm

I agree with the 100m spool. I have one in my type r and it's great. Have another one I just threw in a tdz bbs but was in a vanilla zillion before. I haven't tried the hlc spool yet, but that's next on the list. No doubt a good'n too.

Baik
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Baik » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:14 pm

Another vote for the 100m spool, if you can find one... HLC is rad too, also getting hard to find, it's also lighter than the 100m. I have a stock Zillion 100ha spool I'm not using if you need something to get you by for awhile.

NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NYBASSIN » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:39 am

Baik wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:14 pm
Another vote for the 100m spool, if you can find one... HLC is rad too, also getting hard to find, it's also lighter than the 100m. I have a stock Zillion 100ha spool I'm not using if you need something to get you by for awhile.
Thanks for the response everyone. Will definitely keep an eye out for a 100m spool.

Baik ,thanks for the offer but for now the damage is not actually effecting performance in anyway.
Will just hold out till a 100m or HLC comes along at the right price.

trevor60
Angler
Angler

Post by trevor60 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:46 am

Evening

tough break.

You may also wish to consider a Zillion PE spools. They are available

Trevor

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:49 am

If you use Braid, the PE spool is great. Too shallow for mono/fluoro line though.

I'd be happy to take that bent J-Dream spool off your hands if the price is right. Been looking for one for ages...

DaveJ

NYBASSIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by NYBASSIN » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:12 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:49 am
If you use Braid, the PE spool is great. Too shallow for mono/fluoro line though.

I'd be happy to take that bent J-Dream spool off your hands if the price is right. Been looking for one for ages...

DaveJ
Not looking to get rid of it especially without a replacement.
Just curious what you want to use it for? Is there any reason why even damaged it would be a sought after spool? Would you recommend keeping it over the other options?

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:15 am

NYBASSIN wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:12 am
IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:49 am

DaveJ
Not looking to get rid of it especially without a replacement.
Just curious what you want to use it for? Is there any reason why even damaged it would be a sought after spool? Would you recommend keeping it over the other options?
I've never used one, but I thought the prevailing wisdom from those that have experience is that the J-Dream and IP spools are the best all-around spools available for the OG Zillions.

DaveJ

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:20 am

Find a beat up one on ebay for cheap. Then you have a spool and spare parts. ?
<")))><{

jtesch
Angler
Angler

Post by jtesch » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:52 am

Japan Tackle shop has a good selection that will fit. The 100 Z spoil is impossible to find but the best option. HLC is a good spool but not very versatile.