reel deal

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
FishHunterNewb
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

reel deal

Post by FishHunterNewb » Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:09 am

Hello everyone,

I'll start from the beginning. This summer i've tried to fish first time in my life. My dad took me out town for fishing lesson, which i'd asked for. At the beginning i was frustrated, but when i got my first fish... Oh my... I was happy as a kid :lol: My dad gave me his spinning, and now i go fishing with my family a few times a month. My elder son got this passion to fishing too, so we often go out of town, camp and chill.

I want experienced fishermen to help me with choosing new reel, because my one is very outdated and it spins around not smoothly, even my dad doesn't know when he bought it. I'm interested in spinning reels for inshore fishing. Which one do you use and why? Which one would you recommend for newbie? Any nuances about servicing reel and spinning in general?

Waiting for your feedback. Especially interested in Shimano reels, my dad said that they had not bad reels. I need more info ;)

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: reel deal

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:28 am

I particularly dont care to use a spinning reel, but for the money, the Pflueger reels are hard to beat. Just find one with a metal frame, and the rest is personal preference.
<")))><{

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:12 am

With shimano spinners you can have mild to wild depending on your budget. What are you looking to spend?

The Sedona and Sahara are the 50-80 dollar range, NASCI is the 100 dollar range, the ultegra is the $150 price point then you move up to stradic at $200, then the sustain $300. Top players are the twin power, exsence, vanquish and stella but you're now getting up in the $500+ range.

For inshore I like the 3-4000 size reels for the added capacity and drag without being too bulky. I personally think for saltwater it's worth stepping up to the stradic level for the blend of refinement and durability.

DenhamBruce
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DenhamBruce » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:09 pm

Fuego LT

FishHunterNewb
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by FishHunterNewb » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:32 pm

Hello every one, thanks for your feedback.
ss30378 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:12 am
With shimano spinners you can have mild to wild depending on your budget. What are you looking to spend?

The Sedona and Sahara are the 50-80 dollar range, NASCI is the 100 dollar range, the ultegra is the $150 price point then you move up to stradic at $200, then the sustain $300. Top players are the twin power, exsence, vanquish and stella but you're now getting up in the $500+ range.

For inshore I like the 3-4000 size reels for the added capacity and drag without being too bulky. I personally think for saltwater it's worth stepping up to the stradic level for the blend of refinement and durability.
I'm going to spend about 200-300$. Where can i read smth about this reels? I was trying to find some more info, but didn't manage to. I found one review, but there are only Shimano reels. I don't understand the ropes and i don't feel big difference between reels(now :) ) I'd like to read more about them.

Review:
https://outdoorsly.org/best-saltwater-spinning-reel/

I've put an eye on Shimano Spheros 5000 SW, but there it's said that it's "Still very durable, but not as durable as the other Shimano products on this list" it sounds like bad or very bad :? ? If smb have experience with this model? I don't wanna revisit the issue 2-3 months later [-(

About other models: guys, could you tell more about them or link sites where i can read about them myself. When i try to google them all i have are commercial offers :-k

FishHunterNewb
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by FishHunterNewb » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:39 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:28 am
I particularly don't care to use a spinning reel, but for the money, the Pflueger reels are hard to beat. Just find one with a metal frame, and the rest is personal preference.
Finally, I decided to buy Pflueger :lol: I was choosing one of Shimano's reels and asked about Pflueger, keeper showed me 3 of them and I bought one. That's for me! I saved money and got a good reel. The question is how much time will I use it? I'll keep you posted :lol:

P.S. I chose one with metal frame, it looks reliable...

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:42 am

Pflueger reels are ok, so long as you dont get the ones with the aluminum main gear, like the Patriarch. They just dont last. I had one replaced under warranty 2 times in a year. Sold the 2nd new replacement right after it came to me. Personally, I would go with Shimano or Daiwa, since you're fishing saltwater.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:48 am

DenhamBruce wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:09 pm
Fuego LT
This is the correct answer :lol: Heck of a nice reel for the money indeed...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

spoonplugger1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by spoonplugger1 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:49 pm

Any reel you get at a certain price point is going to be pretty similar to the others, the vast majority are bought at $100, or less, if you don't build a good reel in that market, for each price point, your soon out of business. A big thing in keeping your gear looking good and working reliably in to rinse them of with freshwater and give them a light spray of lube/water displacement product like WD 40. Personally I'm a fan of Blakemore Reel Magic as there is nothing in it to harm your line, tackle, boat, etc.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:00 am

When you decide to buy a second reel, look at the Daiwa BG. Not the lightest, but built like a tank. Personally love its looks. I don't use spinning enough to make it worthwhile, but I wouldn't mind trying a Tatula LT or JDM Ballistic FW LT.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:50 am

Now you've got a reel the most important thing is to wash it with fresh water every time you use it in the salt as soon as you get home, otherwise you'll be moaning about how rubbish the reel is in a few months. Applies to all models and brands.

CheezusCrust
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CheezusCrust » Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:18 pm

Pfluegers are the best reels in the world for a month then they break.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:11 pm

Stella.

Go big or go home :big grin:

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:48 pm

CheezusCrust wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:18 pm
Pfluegers are the best reels in the world for a month then they break.
You just described my tatula sv. :big grin:

CheezusCrust
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by CheezusCrust » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:54 pm

Are tatulas made in Thailand?