The Offseason Changes Continue!

Anything and everything related to fishing tackle. If you cannot find the sub-category for your topic, go ahead and post it in here!
toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

The Offseason Changes Continue!

Post by toddmc » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:39 am

http://bassfan.com/docktalk_article/201 ... jr8UuhKi1s

Wow! I didn't expect a few of the Shimano poster boys to jump ship to Daiwa. Either Daiwa is offering a better product, a better deal, or both. As long as Ike doesn't come back to Daiwa, I don't care who fishes what! :P Fish on brothers!

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: The Offseason Changes Continue!

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:48 am

All about the money. If you have ever read about Shimano/Daiwa sponsorship, it seems Daiwa and many other companies are a much better deal. Shimano seems to be more interested in anglers on YouTube and social media now.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:55 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:48 am
All about the money. If you have ever read about Shimano/Daiwa sponsorship, it seems Daiwa and many other companies are a much better deal. Shimano seems to be more interested in anglers on YouTube and social media now.
Maybe the better deal.
I’m thinking a connection to a younger generation is much more lucrative.
A guy like you may buy Daiwa Steez rods and reels but that guy comes through the door once a week maybe. One youth on the tube with say 309 subs will make much more when those 309 go through shimanos door and get middle tier equipment. A mature guy spends the money he didn’t tell the wife about , a youth spends his parents money yet has no job.
Not to mention what shimano would pay a professional vs. a YouTuber
Just a saying sprinkled with truths
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by lifeofRiley » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:09 pm

Who knows, maybe Jared got cut. I don't think he's ever won anything has he? Who is on Shimanos pro staff other than a mart?

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:26 pm

lifeofRiley wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:09 pm
Who knows, maybe Jared got cut. I don't think he's ever won anything has he? Who is on Shimanos pro staff other than a mart?
Keith Combs
Scott Martin uses Metaniums looks like.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:39 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:55 am
JBcrankaddict wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:48 am
Maybe the better deal.
I’m thinking a connection to a younger generation is much more lucrative.
A guy like you may buy Daiwa Steez rods and reels but that guy comes through the door once a week maybe. One youth on the tube with say 309 subs will make much more when those 309 go through shimanos door and get middle tier equipment. A mature guy spends the money he didn’t tell the wife about , a youth spends his parents money yet has no job.
Not to mention what shimano would pay a professional vs. a YouTuber
Just a saying sprinkled with truths
There is a lot of arguments for both models. But, I would guess that young youtubers would not buy large quantities of reels until they are older tournament fishermen. A lot of my tournament friends buy a dozen or more of any one model when a new model is introduced. Daiwa has been big on the Project videos on youtube lately. I'm sure that these are aimed more at the younger generation. Us older guys tend to just pick apart and make fun of the Daiwa Project videos :lol:!

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:01 pm

Several Quantum guys have went to Lew's, as well. Gerald Swindle, Shaw Grigsby and KVD, if course.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:15 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:01 pm
Several Quantum guys have went to Lew's, as well. Gerald Swindle, Shaw Grigsby and KVD, if course.
Quantum to Lew’s was a major realignment because Lew’s bought out Strike King. It was a big move of pros. It’s one thing to change from Quantum to Lew’s. It’s a whole other thing when you’re forced to move from Daiwa to Lew’s.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:25 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:15 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:01 pm
Quantum to Lew’s was a major realignment because Lew’s bought out Strike King. It was a big move of pros. It’s one thing to change from Quantum to Lew’s. It’s a whole other thing when you’re forced to move from Daiwa to Lew’s.
You said a mouthfull with that last line, dude! =D>
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:42 pm

Cracker wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:26 pm
lifeofRiley wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:09 pm
Keith Combs
Scott Martin uses Metaniums looks like.
Think David Walker, Luke Clausen, and JVD also

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:35 pm

Quantum without KVD is like a race car without a driver.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:35 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:35 pm
Quantum without KVD is like a race car without a driver.
I'm not a Quantum fan, but I hated to see him leave. I hate to see almost any angler that is such a big part and synonymous with a company part ways. This throws me for a loop every time that I think about it. It's like Agassi without Nike! :lol:

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:38 am

I can’t say who’s right or wrong on their marketing strategy, that’s their decision to make, but this is really hard to view any other way than being about the money. After all, as long as the deal is good, if they think it’s better than what they used before, I’m sure they will tell you it’s better. And if they think it’s worse than what they used before, they will tell you it’s better :lol:

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:34 pm

goldrod wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:55 am
A guy like you may buy Daiwa Steez rods and reels but that guy comes through the door once a week maybe. One youth on the tube with say 309 subs will make much more when those 309 go through shimanos door and get middle tier equipment.
Thing is, from a marketing POV these are not mutually exclusive options for a company. Small youtubers/influencers happily push product for freebies and more often, mere discounts ("pro staff" level in this day and age). A few dozen free reels and a 10-20% discount costs these companies nothing...it's not eating into their actual sponsorship budget at all.

The Chinese manufactured companies like kastking piscifun etc took full advantage of this virtually free marketing on social media, while the big 2 stuck with traditional sponsorship deals and spreads in bass magazines, spots on tv shows etc. Daiwa/Shimano can easily do both, and if they don't see the asymmetrical aspect of social media marketing by now...they never will.