Flip Pitch Punch Reel

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Flip Pitch Punch Reel

Post by LgMouthGambler » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:03 am

Take hand off handle. :lol: The roller clutch will keep the spool pinned with the drag.
<")))><{

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:12 am

:lol: Yeah; I was trying to imagine myself setting the hook and realized that I must not take my hand off the handle sometimes. The soreness in my hand after that last break clued me in. Did not even realize I was doing that at times.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:21 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:12 am
:lol: Yeah; I was trying to imagine myself setting the hook and realized that I must not take my hand off the handle sometimes. The soreness in my hand after that last break clued me in. Did not even realize I was doing that at times.
:shock: Those must be some devastating hooksets. :lol: It takes a good amount of force to bend the handle posts out and break carbon fiber. At least you figured out why it keeps happening to you.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:44 am

It's been the first longish stretch of cold in FL, so the bite changed on me. It's been a bit sparse for my liking. So, perhaps I was a bit trigger happy this morning :o

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:14 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
I stick with a metal handle for my flip/punch reels. The little bit of added weight is not noticeable.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:51 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:09 am
Deps DR-100ZX and zillion type R. The type R really benefited from a 50th handle for this application. Unfortunately, I can be a slow learner and I had to go through 2 type R handles before I made this switch.
I’ve seen but never used the Dr-100zX
I imagine that it’s one heck of a flip,pitch,punch reel.
It’s not gorgeous but it has its beauty. Thanks for sharing
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:06 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
:lol: Whoa! So how does this happen? Been trying to visualize it but can't quite figure it out.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:16 am

i_am_R2 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:06 am
Polkfish1 wrote:
:lol: Whoa! So how does this happen? Been trying to visualize it but can't quite figure it out.

My strong arm is right and use it for power. However, I’m left dominant eye; so all precision left-shooting pool, rifle, etc. I also retrieve reel lefty. So I’m holding the rod right and reeling left. When this happens, I’m holding my rod and reel as you would a chain saw. When I get the bite and get too excited I just jack it up without taking my hand off the handle and nearly tear the handle off the reel or break it instead :oops:

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:39 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:16 am
i_am_R2 wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:06 am
Polkfish1 wrote:

My strong arm is right and use it for power. However, I’m left dominant eye; so all precision left-shooting pool, rifle, etc. I also retrieve reel lefty. So I’m holding the rod right and reeling left. When this happens, I’m holding my rod and reel as you would a chain saw. When I get the bite and get too excited I just jack it up without taking my hand off the handle and nearly tear the handle off the reel or break it instead :oops:
Oh wow, thanks for the explanation. Like others said you must have a killer hookset! Makes me think about how I set the hook although I probably need to hit the gym before I could do something like that haha. Good luck with your next handle!

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:18 pm

Daiwa Tatula Elite Pitch/Flip

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:12 am

M Perry wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:18 pm
Daiwa Tatula Elite Pitch/Flip
How do you like this reel for flipping/pitching so far? I'm in the market for a reel for punching and have a scorpion 71 already, but not too sure if it will hold up or not for that technique.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 4:50 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:09 am
Deps DR-100ZX and zillion type R. The type R really benefited from a 50th handle for this application. Unfortunately, I can be a slow learner and I had to go through 2 type R handles before I made this switch.
That Deps is so sweet. I'm not a huge fan of the OG Zillion spool choices or I would have to get one. The lack of drag worried me, but for punching it actually probably makes sense with the right rod and line.

DaveJ

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:19 am

Deps DR - 100ZX. Any Zillion variant would be great. I like the Zillions over the Z 200 & Z2020 due to the weight of the Zs.