Daiwa Tatula SV TW

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Steve Jones
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Daiwa Tatula SV TW

Post by Steve Jones » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:13 pm

Is Daiwa Tatula SV TW 103, the same as the tatula 100 except for the sv spool and more drag?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa Tatula SV TW

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:15 pm

It also has an aluminum handle side plate which should help to allow the reel feel more solid and smooth. Tatulas with the plastic side plate are sort of gritty feeling. My old aluminum handle side plate Tatula Type R is butter.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:52 pm

The new Tat Sv , has a graphite side plate gear side. No mention of aluminum.

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=15263

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:31 pm

johnD wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:52 pm

That sucks. That's a backwards step from the Tatula Elite reels

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:19 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:31 pm
johnD wrote:

It's a matter of perspective really. If the new 2020 Tatula SV TW had an aluminum handle side plate, it would have retailed for $40 or $50 more. With the incredible success of the 2017 Tatula SV TW at its $199.99 retail price point, it only makes sense that by building off of an existing winner, utilizing a more compact frame that is also a fan favorite, and maintaining the price point, Daiwa will have another very popular reel in their line up. I've handled the 2020 model, but won't get to fish it until this weekend if TT gets stock on Friday, otherwise it'll be early next week, either way, I'm excited to fish this one very soon :D
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:55 am

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 8:19 pm
LowRange wrote:
Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:31 pm
johnD wrote:

It's a matter of perspective really. If the new 2020 Tatula SV TW had an aluminum handle side plate, it would have retailed for $40 or $50 more. With the incredible success of the 2017 Tatula SV TW at its $199.99 retail price point, it only makes sense that by building off of an existing winner, utilizing a more compact frame that is also a fan favorite, and maintaining the price point, Daiwa will have another very popular reel in their line up. I've handled the 2020 model, but won't get to fish it until this weekend if TT gets stock on Friday, otherwise it'll be early next week, either way, I'm excited to fish this one very soon :D
I'll end up getting one or two. Do you know of the side plate , gear side has the honeycomb design like the previous model ? My old Tat Sv y'all super tuned for me is still the smoothest reel I own, and it's has caught loads of fish , big and small.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:37 pm

johnD wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:55 am
I'll end up getting one or two. Do you know of the side plate , gear side has the honeycomb design like the previous model ? My old Tat Sv y'all super tuned for me is still the smoothest reel I own, and it's has caught loads of fish , big and small.
Glad to hear it is working well for you! You'll have to clue me in on the honeycomb design though. I've been looking at my 2017 Tatula SV TW trying to figure out what you're talking about :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:18 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:37 pm
johnD wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:55 am
Glad to hear it is working well for you! You'll have to clue me in on the honeycomb design though. I've been looking at my 2017 Tatula SV TW trying to figure out what you're talking about :lol:
Lol , I should've been more specific.

It's the reinforcing pattern on the inside of the side plate.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Mon Feb 24, 2020 4:46 am

Loving my 2020 Tatula SV....so far its everything I wanted and more.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:41 am

How is the casting distance versus the last gen? Does it feel choked off at the end of the cast like the last one can sometimes?

Thanks!

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:59 am

What would you guys get between this reel and the Elite PF? It would be used for flipping milfoil.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:12 am

HobeyBaker wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:59 am
What would you guys get between this reel and the Elite PF? It would be used for flipping milfoil.
You can't go wrong with either, but for dedicated and heavier cover flipping/pitching (you didn't say skipping :lol: ) I'd take the Tatula Elite Flip/Pitch model. I'm really loving that reel.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:08 am

On a separate note I did verify that for those like me that are using the Elite Long Cast for froggin' that you will be able to purchase the Elite p&F handle if you prefer the larger handle for power techniques. I will get pricing as soon as its released and post.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:46 am

M Perry wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:08 am
On a separate note I did verify that for those like me that are using the Elite Long Cast for froggin' that you will be able to purchase the Elite p&F handle if you prefer the larger handle for power techniques. I will get pricing as soon as its released and post.
Mark - we will have those handles in stock as soon as they become available. Daiwa just hasn't gotten many spare parts for the new reels yet.
i_am_R2 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:41 am
How is the casting distance versus the last gen? Does it feel choked off at the end of the cast like the last one can sometimes?
So far so good! I was throwing a 3/8 oz Mibro spinner bait yesterday on an old Daiwa Steez 67MH with 14# Sunline Super FC Sniper and getting fantastic distance, excellent control in the wind, and it felt very nice on the retrieve.
johnD wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Bryan cracked one open yesterday at the shop to investigate. It doesn't have the same honeycomb pattern that the 2017 has.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:17 am

bronzefly wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:46 am
M Perry wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:08 am
Mark - we will have those handles in stock as soon as they become available. Daiwa just hasn't gotten many spare parts for the new reels yet.
i_am_R2 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:41 am
So far so good! I was throwing a 3/8 oz Mibro spinner bait yesterday on an old Daiwa Steez 67MH with 14# Sunline Super FC Sniper and getting fantastic distance, excellent control in the wind, and it felt very nice on the retrieve.
johnD wrote:
Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:18 pm

Bryan cracked one open yesterday at the shop to investigate. It doesn't have the same honeycomb pattern that the 2017 has.
Thanks , Gary. Maybe with the smaller profile they didn't think it was necessary , or it's possible they used a long strand graphite.
Either way , my Tat 100 reels have been solid with heavy use , I'm sure the Tat Sv will be the same.