Tat Elite vs Zillion SV

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Tat Elite vs Zillion SV

Post by KP Duty » Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:00 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:17 am
The Taula Elite is a much more comfortable reel. It is smaller in hand and sits lower in the reel seat than the Zillion SV TW, which is the same frame as the Tat CT. The Elite is virtually the same frame as the Steez A, which is very compact. I sold all my Zillion SV TW in favor of the 2019 Tatula TTU 100 reels(same frame as Tat Elite). They can be had for half the price and perform excellent for me. In my opinion, the only thing gained with the Zillion is the 34mm spool interchangeability.

My tat 100's seem wider/not as tall as my zillions, but being a tall guy with long fingers; I find the zillion/tat ct frame as the ideal fit for my palm (in the daiwa lineup). People use the term 'subjective' too much on fishing forums, but how a reel fits in your hand truly is.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:25 am

KP Duty wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:00 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:
The Taula Elite is a much more comfortable reel. It is smaller in hand and sits lower in the reel seat than the Zillion SV TW, which is the same frame as the Tat CT. The Elite is virtually the same frame as the Steez A, which is very compact. I sold all my Zillion SV TW in favor of the 2019 Tatula TTU 100 reels(same frame as Tat Elite). They can be had for half the price and perform excellent for me. In my opinion, the only thing gained with the Zillion is the 34mm spool interchangeability.

My tat 100's seem wider/not as tall as my zillions, but being a tall guy with long fingers; I find the zillion/tat ct frame as the ideal fit for my palm (in the daiwa lineup). People use the term 'subjective' too much on fishing forums, but how a reel fits in your hand truly is.
My fingers are short and fat, so that's likely why the lower frame is more comfortable for me. I will agree 100% that it is all subjective, because no 2 people are alike or have the same tastes. My dad still loves his 5500C's.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:08 pm

I opened up the reel tonight and it was bone dry. I can't believe Daiwa would let a reel leave the factory with no grease on the gears. I added medium ZPI grease to the gears and it's pretty smooth. I would be hard pressed to feel the difference between it and a Steez A if I were blindfolded.

johnD
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnD » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:41 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:08 pm
I opened up the reel tonight and it was bone dry. I can't believe Daiwa would let a reel leave the factory with no grease on the gears. I added medium ZPI grease to the gears and it's pretty smooth. I would be hard pressed to feel the difference between it and a Steez A if I were blindfolded.
Mine was the same way , I just don't get it...

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:10 pm

If purchasing a new daiwa and wish to fish salt or dirty water steer clear of full shaft spools that don't have a bearing mounted on the spool shaft. That design has an inherent flaw that allows water to enter the reels gearbox along the spool shaft requiring continued maintenance as the pinion bearing and handle side plate spool bearing will require regular changing. I service reels and the tatulas are the worst when it comes to being affected by saltwater. If you have one of these reels pack the pinion bearing full of grease and this slows down the entry of water. The full floating spools have the bearing on the spool and the boss on the gearbox side which deflects water that runs down the side of the spool.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:29 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:10 pm
If purchasing a new daiwa and wish to fish salt or dirty water steer clear of full shaft spools that don't have a bearing mounted on the spool shaft. That design has an inherent flaw that allows water to enter the reels gearbox along the spool shaft requiring continued maintenance as the pinion bearing and handle side plate spool bearing will require regular changing. I service reels and the tatulas are the worst when it comes to being affected by saltwater. If you have one of these reels pack the pinion bearing full of grease and this slows down the entry of water. The full floating spools have the bearing on the spool and the boss on the gearbox side which deflects water that runs down the side of the spool.
The type r tatula has crbb bearings to account for this, correct?

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:46 am

KP Duty wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:00 am
hoohoorjoo wrote:

i'm the same way. the tatula sv feels really good in hand to me. the thing i think makes it so comfortable, is the cutout behind the gearbox. i have pretty big hands as well, and think that may be why other reels don't feel as good. if they weren't as big, they may not wrap around far enough that it is a problem.

DrTrevorkian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DrTrevorkian » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:56 am

ska4fun wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:48 am
Strangely my Elite Casting ''freespools'' noticeably less than my tatula 100 and 2018 SV. Maybe a diference in lubing? This damned quarantine is preventing me of doing a field casting test.
I’d be interested in your findings and others, I was looking to pick up a few of these for float fishing steelhead. Effortless freespool is critical.

Wondering if your zero adjuster was bumped by chance?

Lightning
Angler
Angler

Post by Lightning » Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:00 pm

The strangest thing about my elite is I can skip with it better than my Tatula SV. The elite also casts longer between the two. So I am baffled as you would think it would be one or the other and not both.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:19 pm

johnD wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:41 pm
HobeyBaker wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:08 pm
Mine was the same way , I just don't get it...
you would think it'd be the other way around

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:23 pm

doomtrprz71 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:29 pm
BARRAMANIAC wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:10 pm
The type r tatula has crbb bearings to account for this, correct?
A crbb wont help with contamination entering the bearing. It will slow down corrosion but if small particles enter the bearing it will still fail from balls rolling over the particles and damaging the races, packing the bearing with grease is the only measure to slow down the entry of contaminants as no bearing is fully sealed except magsealed bearings.