Purple Reign : Phenix's Reinvigorated M1 is a Winner

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:31 am

Introduction: With many manufacturers refreshing their core lineups every three to five years, Phenix Rods has taken a more conservative route instead infusing their lineup with a Feather series here, a K2 series there. Case in point? It's been a good seven years or more since we took a look at the MX72H from their M1 series. Well, the wait is finally because Phenix Rods has unveiled a totally revamped, refreshed, and renewed M1 series with an updated look, feel, and appeal. We took the M1 MX72MH our for a test run.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewphenixm1mx72mh.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Purple Reign : Phenix's Reinvigorated M1 is a Winner

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:42 pm

Is this a a newly designed blank, or a 2nd generation built around the original, with the heightened sensitivity coming from the new handle design? I also don't like the placement of the hook keeper. If it's a new blank, I may have to call Phenix and order one.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:03 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:42 pm
Is this a a newly designed blank, or a 2nd generation built around the original, with the heightened sensitivity coming from the new handle design? I also don't like the placement of the hook keeper. If it's a new blank, I may have to call Phenix and order one.
Sounds like a 6 to one, half dozen to the other answer to me to be honest. This stick fishes different than the original M1 and I'm assuming that fluted end is integral to the blank not tacked on but unless I cut the rod into pieces... 🤷‍♂️
Cal, Managing Editor

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:39 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:03 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 2:42 pm
Sounds like a 6 to one, half dozen to the other answer to me to be honest. This stick fishes different than the original M1 and I'm assuming that fluted end is integral to the blank not tacked on but unless I cut the rod into pieces... 🤷‍♂️
Well don't do that! I mean, unless you really want to. You should take a peek at the blanks on the Phenix website. I'm too lazy to post a picture.

Vince Borges
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Vince Borges » Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:59 pm

So the new M1 actually still uses the same Nanolite resins. The carbon fiber is actually a new upgraded scrim. Things like Carbon Fiber and resins seem to advance as much as cell phones and other gadgets. There’s always something new and improved, and the raw materials used on the new M1 fit that motto perfectly. The design is also on completely different Mandrels which gives the rods a different action and taper then previous M1s. Making them a lot better. The vortex handle is actually the blank, and no, it’s not a two piece handle added like other models that manufactures have tried to do. So we actually sell the blanks as well for the custom rod builder and you can scope the internal to see its all a one piece blank. We used a micron vibration sensor and that’s how we determined the 60+ percent increase in sensitivity. It works by sending pulses from the tip and measured at the butt. Kinda like sound waves. Hope that helps explain the new models a bit more. They really are some of the most technologically advanced designs this industry has seen in years!!
Phenix Rods : Pro Worms : TNT Baits : Blackwater

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:30 pm

Vince Borges wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:59 pm
So the new M1 actually still uses the same Nanolite resins. The carbon fiber is actually a new upgraded scrim. Things like Carbon Fiber and resins seem to advance as much as cell phones and other gadgets. There’s always something new and improved, and the raw materials used on the new M1 fit that motto perfectly. The design is also on completely different Mandrels which gives the rods a different action and taper then previous M1s. Making them a lot better. The vortex handle is actually the blank, and no, it’s not a two piece handle added like other models that manufactures have tried to do. So we actually sell the blanks as well for the custom rod builder and you can scope the internal to see its all a one piece blank. We used a micron vibration sensor and that’s how we determined the 60+ percent increase in sensitivity. It works by sending pulses from the tip and measured at the butt. Kinda like sound waves. Hope that helps explain the new models a bit more. They really are some of the most technologically advanced designs this industry has seen in years!!
When I asked Matt Newman about how his newer rods were improvements over the rods I bought from him more than ten years ago, he also said the new resins and materials available now are just miles ahead of what was available ten years ago. Interesting.
I fish with one of your old Phenix prostaffers, and he still loves your rods.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 7:04 pm

Vince Borges wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 9:59 pm
Thanks Vince! Much appreciated :big grin:

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:39 pm

Thanks for the review Cal! I seriously cannot wait to pick up one of these rods.

Did you have any issues of the butt of the rod slipping if it got wet since there's no EVA or cork at the end?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:06 pm

accodn2ryan wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:39 pm
Did you have any issues of the butt of the rod slipping if it got wet since there's no EVA or cork at the end?
None... only time I hold that portion of rod is during a cast (I always cast with two hands) and I didn't have any issues with it at all.
Cal, Managing Editor

kevkim
Angler
Angler

Post by kevkim » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:42 pm

Sorry to bring an old thread back, but I was wondering if anyone could compare the m1 vortex series to the feather series in terms of sensitivity, balance, and overall weight?

I’ve got the feather casting models in 7’1” light, 7’1”medium-heavy, and 7’7” heavy and was considering getting the 6’9” medium heavy but was curious about the m1 vortex 6’9” medium-light.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:24 pm

Purple huh? Might be a good rod to pair with a TD Ito reel.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:23 pm

Warhawk wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:24 pm
Purple huh? Might be a good rod to pair with a TD Ito reel.
👍
Cal, Managing Editor