Daiwa SV Light LTD

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Daiwa SV Light LTD

Post by goldrod » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:07 am

Anyone using this reel for weightless plastics like flukes?
I have been contemplating if another is worth it.. I love mine for jerk baits of all sizes but I've not used it for flukes.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Daiwa SV Light LTD

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:33 am

I used one for a while using a wide array of BFS gear. It is a pretty versatile caster. Line capacity is the only issue if using over 10lb FC.

Does great with weightless plastics. Just need the right rod.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:13 pm

It wouldn't be my first choice for weightless plastics. It's not a true bfs reel by any means. It is however an outstanding power finesse machine. 3/16 total weight is where it really starts to shine. And then of course, you can also use it for baits up to a half ounce. I like this spool better than the Alphas Air spool... For my purposes anyways. It doesn't feel as restricted imo, plus I appreciate the slightly larger line capacity. I also run it in my Alphas Air. It will cast those weightless plastics attached to the right rod, but there are better reels for that.

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:15 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:13 pm
It wouldn't be my first choice for weightless plastics. It's not a true bfs reel by any means. It is however an outstanding power finesse machine. 3/16 total weight is where it really starts to shine. And then of course, you can also use it for baits up to a half ounce. I like this spool better than the Alphas Air spool... For my purposes anyways. It doesn't feel as restricted imo, plus I appreciate the slightly larger line capacity. I also run it in my Alphas Air. It will cast those weightless plastics attached to the right rod, but there are better reels for that.
It’s a great Reel for 8lb test weightless 4” senkos snd 1/16 oz Ned heads.
Of coarse without the right rod ... it’s worthless for that Application.

I just ordered my 2nd one as TW has’em at a great price right now.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_J ... e-JLC.html

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:07 pm

E73Bass wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:15 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:13 pm
It’s a great Reel for 8lb test weightless 4” senkos snd 1/16 oz Ned heads.
Of coarse without the right rod ... it’s worthless for that Application.

I just ordered my 2nd one as TW has’em at a great price right now.
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Daiwa_J ... e-JLC.html

I’ve looked at the prices
And I’ve been contemplating getting another.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:45 pm

Casting a weightless Senko isn't too difficult

E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by E73Bass » Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:01 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:45 pm
Sure it is with a 7-6” flipping stick and a millionaire !

I was speaking of the BFS qualities that you discounted with this reel and not much from you on the 1/16 oz Ned Head capabilities.hmmmm....
Reread my remark.Weightless 4” senko and I neglected to add wacky style on #1 hook 30 + yds.

But less face it most of the recent offerings will do about the same. It’s the correct rod tip that does 90 pct of the work here.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:50 pm

Flukes of course come in a few sizes. What size are we talking about ? You have the reel. Give it a whirl.

Someone could tell me a 100 Calcutta Conquest isn’t a great weightless plastic reel and I would agree. But I know from my experiences that it’ll bomb cast a Magnum Fluke.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:04 pm

E73Bass wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 5:01 am
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:45 pm
Sure it is with a 7-6” flipping stick and a millionaire !

I was speaking of the BFS qualities that you discounted with this reel and not much from you on the 1/16 oz Ned Head capabilities.hmmmm....
Reread my remark.Weightless 4” senko and I neglected to add wacky style on #1 hook 30 + yds.

But less face it most of the recent offerings will do about the same. It’s the correct rod tip that does 90 pct of the work here.

You’re correct about the rod / reel work percentages but I was just trying to justify buying another. The only con to me is the spool size isn’t the same at any other Steez-ish reel I have. But other than that I’m rather pleased with the reel

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:07 pm

TravisNY wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:50 pm
Flukes of course come in a few sizes. What size are we talking about ? You have the reel. Give it a whirl.

Someone could tell me a 100 Calcutta Conquest isn’t a great weightless plastic reel and I would agree. But I know from my experiences that it’ll bomb cast a Magnum Fluke.
Understood.
After careful consideration I’ve decided not to buy another but not because of performance simply based off the spool size. With braid and or light diameter I didn’t have an issues casting normal size flukes