Rod Length in Kayak vs canoe

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod Length in Kayak vs canoe

Post by russ57 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:01 pm

I've done a lot of fishing in the past from a canoe, but this year It is going to be a combination of bank and kayak for me. In the canoe I've handled rods up to 76 without issue, but I have heard people seem to prefer shorter rods from a kayak. I am torn between some frog rod that are 72 and 76. From the bank/canoe I really like the extra length, but I am not sure how it will be from a kayak. How do you guys feel about max rod length in a kayak?

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod Length in Kayak vs canoe

Post by TravisNY » Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:56 pm

Is your yak a sit on top or sit in ? I log a ton of miles on my Jackson Tuna every year chasing river smallmouth in all kinds of conditions. I’ve never had an issue with my rod lengths. I fish plenty of sticks to 7’6” but would have zero issue going longer if a presentation depended on it. The only limiting factor for some may be if threading a needle in or around overhanging timber or feeling more comfortable walking a bait with a shorter rod. I stand up for that. Again I’m a riverine guy and haven’t fished a lake/pond in twenty plus years so take it for what it’s worth.

Good fishing, Travis
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:39 am

Don't hava a kayak yet but plan to get a sit on top

Bubbleboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bubbleboy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:18 am

In my decade of kayak fishing I’ve never purchased a rod for its length due to what I’ll be fishing out of. Is it a little easier to chuck a bait while seated if the butt of the rod is a little shorter, however if you stand up that problem goes away.
Toronto, Ont.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:44 am

russ57 wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:39 am
Don't hava a kayak yet but plan to get a sit on top
The issue is high sticking when you land fish. I would suggest a full length handle landing net if you're going with 7'6+ rods from the yak, will make your life a lot easier.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:51 am

Rod length doesn’t matter to much, but handle length can, especially if sitting down. If you stand up to fish neither makes any difference. I do like rods to be at least 7’ to make it easier to bring fish around the bow of the kayak.

NormanD
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by NormanD » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:11 am

I have tried kayak specific rods with shorter handles and didn't like them. I fish with my Dobyns swimbait 795 and 806 rods sitting down without any problems. You might need to experiment with what works best for you.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:22 am

In CQC situations shorter and for open water longer. Truth be told it doesn't matter too much for me though as I have sit on top style. I will say though longer tend to be more side arm casting as my other gear and rods tend to cut the casting room down so unless I am really paying attention to my mechanics I rarely catapult directly overhead if that even makes any sense. I will also say sit in suck for me personally as I am taller and I like being able to move about and sit in different positions to lessen my back issues overalll 8-)

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:30 pm

Cristo I have 5 Ram mounts on my Big Tuna. 3 on the big JKrate behind my seat on the track system with rods traveling at a downward angle and trailing behind. 2 at either side of my seat. The 2 at either side of my seat are used for the rods “in use” and are angled lower rather than straight up in the air with my strong side (casting side) being empty. I can easily overhead bomb cast anything.

As one poster suggested. Use what feels comfortable for your uses.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:39 am

Travis =D>