Fishing Line Diameter

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
Larry 2020 Niagara
Angler
Angler

Fishing Line Diameter

Post by Larry 2020 Niagara » Sun Mar 15, 2020 4:44 pm

I have been reading with interest various member’s opinions and experiences with a wide range of fishing line types. People often make comparisons using the manufactures’ specifications regarding line diameter. As someone who has been measuring and comparing claimed diameters vs. actual diameters for many years, I can safely say that the manufactures’ claimed diameter is never very accurate. Lines are always thicker than advertised, usually from 5-25% thicker. The only accurate specification I ever encountered was 12# Silver Thread Excalibur which had a discrepancy of less than 1%. Line manufacturers’ claims should be treated like the deep-diving depth claims of crankbait manufacturers, and taken with a grain of salt.

fishes
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Fishing Line Diameter

Post by fishes » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:11 pm

This is great info. Maybe we should get a thread going where we post actual, measured line diameters.

Methods question: how do you measure braid diameter accurately?

Larry 2020 Niagara
Angler
Angler

Post by Larry 2020 Niagara » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:23 pm

So far, I have primarily measured monos, copolymers, and flourocarbons. The only braid I’ve measured is 30# PowerPro Spectra which, incidentally, is only about 2% thicker than its claimed diameter of .011 in.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:13 pm

I do pay attention to line diameter, but it's just a starting point. You have to develop confidence through success with any line. I have to spend a bit of time with any line to learn its strengths and weaknesses. A database would be nice to have, but there are several other line qualities that have to match what you want also. Abrasion resistance, manageability, knot strength, and color all factor in when choosing a line.

Larry 2020 Niagara
Angler
Angler

Post by Larry 2020 Niagara » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:24 pm

I agree entirely. But, as a possible starting point, it’s very disappointing to purchase a line that, based on the advertised specs, you believe is thinner than another line when it is not. Other attributes are extremely important. For example, I fish the Upper Niagara River a lot. There, abrasion resistance and tensile strength are crucial. The last few years, I’ve lost quite a few lures due to unexplained (not at the knot} break-offs. I’ld gladly pay a few dollars more for a line that didn’t cost me $50. in lost lures!
Last edited by Larry 2020 Niagara on Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:35 pm

We had gigantic walls of bulk line in the tackle shops that I worked in college. I may have filled millions of yards of bulk line for customers. It's hard to really estimate. You really get a feel for what a line is like when it is running through your hands. I spent a lot of my idle time inventing and conducting torture tests on the various lines. I thought I knew a lot about mono and copoly lines. Things have changed so much with all of the newer types of lines that the trial and error process seems never ending! :lol: You had better plan on making the database a lifetime job! :D

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:58 pm

toddmc wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:35 pm
We had gigantic walls of bulk line in the tackle shops that I worked in college. I may have filled millions of yards of bulk line for customers. It's hard to really estimate. You really get a feel for what a line is like when it is running through your hands. I spent a lot of my idle time inventing and conducting torture tests on the various lines. I thought I knew a lot about mono and copoly lines. Things have changed so much with all of the newer types of lines that the trial and error process seems never ending! :lol: You had better plan on making the database a lifetime job! :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:27 am

Larry, in your experience, do you notice a difference in lines that are "precision wound" to lines that are not?

Larry 2020 Niagara
Angler
Angler

Post by Larry 2020 Niagara » Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:22 am

I’ve only measured one line (10# Suffix Advance - copolymer) that is precision wound. While there are obvious advantages to precision winding in terms of impressive uniformity and, therefore, lack of possibly weak “pinch points,” the actual diameter was
about 6% greater than claimed by the manufacturer.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:21 am

Line diameter consistency is another thing to consider. Some line manufactures have better control and will provide a line that has much less variance in line diameter consistency. Silverthread is one of the manufactures that has very good control for their lines.

Back to the line diameter comparison...I only truly compare it from the same brand first before comparing it to another manufacture brand. As I may be looking for a .235 mm diameter and then it's not available from one manufacture, I may look for it from another manufacture. That's where looking at box listed #test. It could be 4# in one manufacture brand and it's 6# in another manufacture brand just for comparison.

When looking for finesse lines, like diameter of .100 mm up to .200 mm, very little size changes affects it all. That may be 1# test up to 4# test. A few different line samples at .200 mm can vary from in actual line break strength from different manufactures from a low 4# to as much as 9# breaking strength. Again all manufacture claimed line diameter on the retail box.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

steve1206
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by steve1206 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:51 am

Larry 2020 Niagara wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:23 pm
So far, I have primarily measured monos, copolymers, and flourocarbons. The only braid I’ve measured is 30# PowerPro Spectra which, incidentally, is only about 2% thicker than its claimed diameter of .011 in.
You are able to go out to 1/10,000 or 1/100,000 of an inch? Just curious?

Larry 2020 Niagara
Angler
Angler

Post by Larry 2020 Niagara » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:51 am

1/10,000

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:39 pm

I always do compare diameters. Some brands are thicker than others and some are thinner.

Larry 2020 Niagara
Angler
Angler

Post by Larry 2020 Niagara » Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:48 pm

If when comparing, you are using the diameters as
stated by the manufacturer, you are being mislead.
Their specifications are not accurate. That is my point.

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:49 pm

Larry 2020 Niagara wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:48 pm
If when comparing, you are using the diameters as
stated by the manufacturer, you are being mislead.
Their specifications are not accurate. That is my point.
What tool/procedure are you using that is so accurate.