More Bang for the Buck : The Shimano SLX DC Baitcaster Series

TT Reviews - Latest reviews listed and open to member comments
Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:53 pm

Introduction: Shimano continues to make their digital cast control (DC) technology available in more affordable reels, and for the first time has equipped their SLX series with the same I-DC4 cast control system first introduced in the Curado DC two years ago. The SLX DC Series marks the first time that a DC equipped reel has been available to US anglers under the 200 mark.

Complete Article: http://www.tackletour.com/reviewshimanoslxdcreel.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: More Bang for the Buck : The Shimano SLX DC Baitcaster Series

Post by mark poulson » Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:21 am

Cal,
Why do you think this reel only has 5 ball bearings? I know, many years ago, Shimano said their manuf. tolerances were so close that more ball bearings weren't needed, but they now have 11 bearings in their flagship reels, so what has changed?

Zander
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zander » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:47 pm

mark poulson wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:21 am
Cal,
Why do you think this reel only has 5 ball bearings? I know, many years ago, Shimano said their manuf. tolerances were so close that more ball bearings weren't needed, but they now have 11 bearings in their flagship reels, so what has changed?
Hi Mark,

I reviewed this particular reel and can help provide some additional color. It is a good question and there are a few reasons:

- Yes, reel tolerances have improved and value and mainstream reels have gotten better, as long as the frame material is rigid enough to keep everything in check, but this isn't the only reason

- Cost. In a mainstream reel cost is a high priority so less bearings, or more affordable bearings, plays into the build

- Positioning. The SLX Series, and SLX DC, is aimed at the mainstream and in the category manufacturers like Shimano are looking for an optimal balance of price/performance. Would use of more bearings improve the feel? Definitely. But this would also potentially cause more cannibalization of more expensive reels in the company's own portfolio, like the Curado DC

-Z

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:48 pm

Thanks Zander.
That makes perfect sense.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:11 pm

I recently bought a SLX DC for fishing bladed jigs. I also have used a regular SLX for over a year or so. After comparing both I prefer the cheaper SLX. I can cast the SLX further than the DC in most situations. The DC is a little easier to cast into a strong wind because I don't have to use my thumb as much. Both reels feel about the same on the retrieve. The main reason why I prefer the regular SLX is because it is smaller and more comfortable to grip. My next reel is going to be a SLX XT.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:28 pm

joekaz wrote:
Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:11 pm
I recently bought a SLX DC for fishing bladed jigs. I also have used a regular SLX for over a year or so. After comparing both I prefer the cheaper SLX. I can cast the SLX further than the DC in most situations. The DC is a little easier to cast into a strong wind because I don't have to use my thumb as much. Both reels feel about the same on the retrieve. The main reason why I prefer the regular SLX is because it is smaller and more comfortable to grip. My next reel is going to be a SLX XT.
After fishing the SLX DC alongside the regular SLX and the SLX XT over the last couple of months I have come to favor the DC over the other two. The braking is more consistent especially against the wind. No need to adjust anything on the fly like the other two reels. The DC is a little bulkier but It is not a deal breaker. I mainly notice the difference if I am switching back and forth at a rapid rate. I also like that the ipt is one inch more on the gear ratio.