Sensitive jig rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Sensitive jig rod

Post by bbates3 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:06 pm

I would look hard at the 75 steez bottom contact

It’s just wonderful I’ve fished 1/8oz and a stick bait all the way to 1oz dark sleepers and just love it more and more as I spend more time fishing it

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:44 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:57 pm

Thank You for the kind words. I’m a simple student and still learning.
My hope is to help others in any way possible so that they find what they are looking for without wasting money. I’ve been burned on a lot of equipment but I learned something’s.

When I say 3/8oz that was just the jig.

I see the Steez ags 7’9” rod for sale on here and I wish there was more information on that stick.
Again thanks for the kind words.

I'll take any help I can get to stop wasting money on rods o don't need lol.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:45 pm

versus158 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:57 am
You sure will love that rod, excellent through the whole line up !
What do you use it for?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:46 pm

Who has the best price on the bottom contact? Tackletrap with the discount?

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bbates3 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:47 pm

Yes buy from tackletrap

They helped design it and should have them soon

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:33 pm

I may have to do that. We'll see.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by scrapiron » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:46 am

I’ve got the Steez BC and and a Zbone (x-ray). The BC is flat out amazing- as others have said, the more I fish with it the more I feel they got it ‘right’.

The Zbone is not shabby however- mine is a 7’3” MH Mod Fast so deeper bend and not apples to apples. You pick it up and think there’s no way it’s rated to an 1oz. The new ones are now rated to 3/4 I believe. Super light, super sensitive and a joy to throw. And it does cast 1oz just fine. The Zbone that would be more oriented to bottom contact would be a close second to the Steez.

The new SC rod looks interesting but my budget is busted this season (sorry tackle monkey). 😀

If you have the opportunity to get the Steez BC- totally worth it. I use it for jigs and c-rigs.. 3/4 and 1oz. with a Steez A 7.1 and ZPI PG spooled with Tatsu 15lb.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:51 am

scrapiron wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:46 am
I’ve got the Steez BC and and a Zbone (x-ray). The BC is flat out amazing- as others have said, the more I fish with it the more I feel they got it ‘right’.

The Zbone is not shabby however- mine is a 7’3” MH Mod Fast so deeper bend and not apples to apples. You pick it up and think there’s no way it’s rated to an 1oz. The new ones are now rated to 3/4 I believe. Super light, super sensitive and a joy to throw. And it does cast 1oz just fine. The Zbone that would be more oriented to bottom contact would be a close second to the Steez.

The new SC rod looks interesting but my budget is busted this season (sorry tackle monkey). 😀

If you have the opportunity to get the Steez BC- totally worth it. I use it for jigs and c-rigs.. 3/4 and 1oz. with a Steez A 7.1 and ZPI PG spooled with Tatsu 15lb.
Well you're making me want it more. That's for sure. Also now I kind of regret selling my steez A lol.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:54 am

Has anyone used or have the tatula elite TAEL701MMHXB-AGS? Is it anything like the steez (but 5" shorter) as far as taper/power? Its one of the rods I was considering selling to fund a higher end rod.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:26 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 5:57 pm

I see the Steez ags 7’9” rod for sale on here and I wish there was more information on that stick.
Again thanks for the kind words.

I am offering this rod for sale, so let me know if you have any questions that I can answer ;)

versus158
Angler
Angler

Post by versus158 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:21 am

Mostly use it for frogging or T rigging in heavy grass

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:07 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:28 am
russ57 wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:22 am
goldrod wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:30 am
russ57 wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:01 pm
Can't speak to the 74 since I haven't handled it.

I got the 72 in today and pitched a jig around my apartment some. Sensitivity is very impressive and the handle gives the whole setup a very connected feel which is hard to describe but very unique, at least among the rods I have used. The taper is very regular and the rod loads really deeply into the blank. IMO that is a good thing since a deep load will keep the fish finned on a jig. It is definetly not as powerful as a 76H expride.

For frog fishing I may need to go up to the 74H model though, honestly. I may order it from TW to check out the taper, if it seems too stiff I can send it back.

Exactly my point. The 7’2” for me is 3/8 jigs but definitely NOT 1/2 IMHO
I’m not sure about the 7’4” and that’s what I’m waiting to find out. To the OP yes the bottom contact is what you want but when considering the price point you mentioned H3 Kistler rod is pretty good especially if you get it used.
I’d stay away from the 7’2” poison Adrena for what you intended to do. Maybe it’s just me but I’m more of an old IMX 844 type when it comes to jigs
I just like that type of feel and rigidity. Another stick is the St. croix legend e. Rod. I have mine paired with the Antares reel and is like the two are made for each other. Just gives you that connected feel especially with floro.
Lastly a used gambler is a wonderful choice
Sounds good, you were definitely right about it being a great texas rig rod in any case. Let us know about the 74H when you can.
I wish that the poison Adrena had the power of the old gen one cumara and the sensitivity, balance and lightness of the new model.
If I get my hands on a 7’4” I’ll definitely let you know

I didn’t read where he said 1/2oz jig but for me that jig is too much and I understand that there are different types of half ounce jigs.
Everyone is different so my humble is just a different spin which is why I tried to describe what I like in a jig rod. From what I read in his post it further aligns with my thoughts especially when he gets on the water and fishes cover or grass.
The easiest thing to do to end all of this is just get a bottom contact rod and be done with it. It’s by far the gem of jig rods.
The new st. Croix rods may have one in the line up that could be a contender as well. Some people speak highly about the Expride line up but after my 6’10” rod I don’t want another just personal preference.

Sorry for any confusion

Ended up pulling the trigger on a steez bottom contact. Couldn't handle not knowing what I was missing. Hope it's as good as everything I've been reading about it.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:49 am

Probably should start another topic but is it frowned upon to put a lower end reel on a mid to high end rod? (Not in a snobby way but as far as getting the most out of setup) I see most people putting steez reels on the bottom contact but I was thinking about throwing a tatula elite on it until I find a good deal on a reel I want. Digitaka has the steez a for a decent price so im considering it, just not sure how long shipping from Japan is right now.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:39 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:49 am
Probably should start another topic but is it frowned upon to put a lower end reel on a mid to high end rod? (Not in a snobby way but as far as getting the most out of setup) I see most people putting steez reels on the bottom contact but I was thinking about throwing a tatula elite on it until I find a good deal on a reel I want. Digitaka has the steez a for a decent price so im considering it, just not sure how long shipping from Japan is right now.
If it fits your hand, balances ok, holds the amount of line you want and has a good drag whats' there to frown on?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:15 am

TommyG wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:39 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:49 am
If it fits your hand, balances ok, holds the amount of line you want and has a good drag whats' there to frown on?
You're right. Also I think it's usually the other day around. $100 rod and $500 reel but again, to each their own. I was tired and shouldn't have been posting.

Thanks