Cranking rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Cranking rod

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:39 am

Picked up a millionaire Bay casting special and want to use it for cranks, possibly spinnerbaits or blades jigs or something but I want a rod that kind of matches (wasnt thinking that far ahead when I bought it).

Anyway I was looking at the dobyns champion xp line and not sure whether to go glass or composite.

Also I've been looking at the St Croix legend glass. Hard to tell using pictures but I think that blue reel might look good on it. What do you guys think?

If I don't need glass I think the St Croix legend tournament could work (I think they have crank bait models).

Never been a huge fan of dobyns or at Croix but I don't think there is anything wrong with them and sensitivity isn't the priority with this setup.

I do have a Tatula Elite TAEL721MHRB universal rod that im not using and the silver could go with the blue. Anyone know anything about this rod and if it would work for any of those techniques? (I bought this one and tried to cancel the order last summer and just kind of left it in my room).

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Cranking rod

Post by Warhawk » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:23 am

Take a look at the Phenix glass cranking rods, they make them in both red and blue.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:30 am

Warhawk wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:23 am
Take a look at the Phenix glass cranking rods, they make them in both red and blue.
Will do. I've been wanting one of their rods.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:41 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:30 am
Warhawk wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:23 am
Will do. I've been wanting one of their rods.
I’m planning to get one for tossing big swimbaits to stripers.

I’ve got one of their Maxim rods, it’s a VERY nice rod.

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:27 pm

IMO, Dobyns makes some really good crankbait rods. I have the 705 Glass. This is a really good overall crank rod. For lighter baits, I also have the 704 Glass. What I like about the Dobyns glass rods is that they don't feel like glass at all. Really light and balanced. Seem a bit stiff until you get a fish on and then you get the smooth feel of the glass kick in. But there are a lot of good crank rods out there. If looking at Phenix, check out the X-10 or X-11. Good luck!