Plastic broken piece inside SV Spool

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Plastic broken piece inside SV Spool

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:59 am

TommyG wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:41 am
Datbasstho wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:21 am
TommyG wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:18 am
A big plastic bag, like the ones you get from a dry cleaner. Don't ask how I know. :doh:

Sorry, what about the bag?
When you take the spool apart, work inside a plastic bag, those small parts are prone to try and get away.
Ok for sure, thanks

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:12 am

Slazmo wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:50 pm
It's rather straight forward, just don't loose the retainer clip and disassemble it all in a clear plastic bag to catch any jettisoned parts.

How it happens... Chinsy plastic, coupled with shear forces and a cup that both acts against rotation forces and magnets - possible it grabs somewhere at some stage of the spool generating to 30,000 revolutions or so.

Rather than those two pins holding it really needs some form of key between the spool / shaft and the plastic in a mild interference guise.
Hey Slazmo,

So here’s my issue. I’m located in Canada. I can order that part but shipping to Canada from tackletrap is $15 which I’m ok with paying that plus the part $23 usd. The problem is even the guy there told me it’s not the easiest thing to replace.
They offer to fix it for $5 if I ship them the spool, which I thought was a great price.

But shipping my spool from Canada right now will cost around $20 cad, then $5 usd for labour, $8 usd for the part and then $15 usd for shipment back. So grand total I’m looking at like $60 cad just to replace this small plastic piece.

I wish there was a video of what I can expect and I can try doing it myself, I just don’t want to try and somehow can’t get it to work and then have to ship it in which would cost me more.

I even contacted Daiwa Canada and then gave me the closest repair shop and I called them but they can’t get the piece and they can’t even get a part number to replace the spool if I wanted lol

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:35 pm

This is the closest video i can find

https://youtu.be/zdXj_QOJJ2I

All you need to do is
Take the c clip off (relatively easy, but go slow and focus on not damaging the spool or shaft)
Take the washer, spring, inductor off
Replace the broken piece
Put the inductor, spring and washer back on
Then depending on how handy you are, either spend 5 min or 20 min and swearing putting the c clip back on, if you don't loose that or the spring.

Work in a bag as others have said.

A job for sharp eyes and not sausage fingers :lol:

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:44 pm

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:12 pm

Awesome. That video was perfect, and the next video that loads shows how he puts it back together.
I totally understand the mechanics of it and how the spring needs to be pushed down while you put the clips back in order for the purple part to be able to move up and down.

This is a extremely helpful and I’m confident I can do it.

Just one question, in the second link you provided, it shows the part I need in 2 small plastic pieces.
Is is the same piece as the tackletour one I need but separated?

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:15 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:12 pm
Just one question, in the second link you provided, it shows the part I need in 2 small plastic pieces.
The second link just shows they have 2 white pieces (one as spare).
You only need one.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:23 pm

y2k88 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:15 pm
Datbasstho wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:12 pm
The second link just shows they have 2 white pieces (one as spare).
You only need one.
Ok cool.
Appreciate it very much man!

I’ll update the thread once I complete it.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:51 pm

It's not a hard process. Just work methodically and conciouse on what your doing - work inside that plastic bag is a massive help for "explosive take off parts"...

That e-clip is by far the most difficult of the whole process - you the rest is the reinstalling of the parts in the reverse order - work with the parts lined out in a horizontal plane - spool to the left and spread parts to the right as they come out in sequence.

You'll be able to achieve this for sure!
Last edited by Slazmo on Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:29 am

Datbasstho wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:12 am
Slazmo wrote:
It's rather straight forward, just don't loose the retainer clip and disassemble it all in a clear plastic bag to catch any jettisoned parts.

How it happens... Chinsy plastic, coupled with shear forces and a cup that both acts against rotation forces and magnets - possible it grabs somewhere at some stage of the spool generating to 30,000 revolutions or so.

Rather than those two pins holding it really needs some form of key between the spool / shaft and the plastic in a mild interference guise.
Hey Slazmo,

So here’s my issue. I’m located in Canada. I can order that part but shipping to Canada from tackletrap is $15 which I’m ok with paying that plus the part $23 usd. The problem is even the guy there told me it’s not the easiest thing to replace.
They offer to fix it for $5 if I ship them the spool, which I thought was a great price.

But shipping my spool from Canada right now will cost around $20 cad, then $5 usd for labour, $8 usd for the part and then $15 usd for shipment back. So grand total I’m looking at like $60 cad just to replace this small plastic piece.

I wish there was a video of what I can expect and I can try doing it myself, I just don’t want to try and somehow can’t get it to work and then have to ship it in which would cost me more.

I even contacted Daiwa Canada and then gave me the closest repair shop and I called them but they can’t get the piece and they can’t even get a part number to replace the spool if I wanted lol
I have a couple I can send you. I live in Nova Scotia so shipping won't be expensive. PM me and we'll sort it out.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:11 am

daiwa canada parts ordering is very difficult and expensive. best to source from the US or japan.

aikmen is terrible.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:19 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:11 am

aikmen is terrible.
^ Yes x 1000. Avoid this place.

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:50 pm

Slazmo wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:51 pm
It's not a hard process. Just work methodically and conciouse on what your doing - work inside that plastic bag is a massive help for "explosive take off parts"...

That e-clip is by far the most difficult of the whole process - you the rest is the reinstalling of the parts in the reverse order - work with the parts lined out in a horizontal plane - spool to the left and spread parts to the right as they come out in sequence.

You'll be able to achieve this for sure!
Ok, I think I got this!

Appreciate the help!

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:51 pm

adam lancia wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:29 am
Datbasstho wrote:
Slazmo wrote:

Hey Slazmo,

I have a couple I can send you. I live in Nova Scotia so shipping won't be expensive. PM me and we'll sort it out.
Ah, I wish you would have posted earlier, I already placed my order with TackleTrap.

All good though, if I ever need another, I know who to contact.

Thanks!

Datbasstho
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Datbasstho » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:53 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:11 am
daiwa canada parts ordering is very difficult and expensive. best to source from the US or japan.

aikmen is terrible.

Daiwa Canada is the one who told me to call Aikmens.
The guy at Aikmens said he couldn’t even find the part number for the spool itself if I wanted to just order one.
I asked him are the SV spools all different from the newer SV models, he told me he doesn’t know. Lol

So no part number for the conductor, no part number for the spool, no idea what spool goes to what reel and absolutely no suggestion on what I can do.

I got off the phone feeling like I called the wrong number.

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:49 pm

Datbasstho wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:51 pm
adam lancia wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:29 am
Datbasstho wrote:
Slazmo wrote:

Hey Slazmo,

Ah, I wish you would have posted earlier, I already placed my order with TackleTrap.

All good though, if I ever need another, I know who to contact.

Thanks!
I wish I had seen your thread sooner. Next time I got you.