Kistler Carbon Handles - Experiences?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Kistler Carbon Handles - Experiences?

Post by Drakestar » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:57 pm

I'm considering a custom Kistler rod based on the Z-Bone/Xray blank, but I'm really wary of Kistler's reportedly low-grade cork on such an expensive rod. So the only handles I'd consider are their carbon handle options, "Woven Carbon Tec Handle" or "EFX Soft Touch Graphite Handle". Does anybody have experience with either handle type and can share thoughts on look, feel and craftsmanship? I'd expect this handle to help with sensitivity, as well - any field notes on that?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Kistler Carbon Handles - Experiences?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:18 pm

I wonder if those are NFC as well :-k

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:36 pm

Curious as well, was just looking at the custom builds and the carbon grips myself this morning. Did some searching and they do seem to be the ones produced by NFC. Wonder if the "soft touch" is similar to others where its like a thin layer of rubber applied over the handle.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:35 pm

I saw this post and having absolutely nothing better to do I went out and got into my boat. I have Oct 2019 zbone and a 2017 era zbone with the marbled cork. my preference is to the 2019 traditional cork by a small margin.

when I get a new rod I go out an fish it around local pond with some rip wrap so I can at least set the hook on a rock and get a sense of the feel of the rod. If I like the rod and determine I will keep it I put U40 on the cork. That said, my 2019 cork is totally smooth, no pitting, and relatively a small portion of a 7'10 rod.

If I compare the cork to say one of my 2015 era NRX rods the NRX has more uniformity in color, less filler. If I compare to a 2007 GLX rod the Kistler has more uniformity.

My conclusion is that purity of cork is more impactful on full rear grips and we should not confuse looks of the grip with smoothness, density or pitting. I understand this is tackletour and you are ordering custom but I don't see a major issue with my stock 7'10H rod.

when I got my zbone I was dissapointed because it was heavier then the Kistler website stated and the balance was marginal to poor. That got my attention much more then the cork. I have since fallen in love with the blank. The 7'10 H is roughly a 5.1oz rod and the balance point is about 3 to 4 inches in front of the reel seat with a 6.5oz reel. No way to add a counter balance that I recall. If I was custom ordering a long rod, I would seek a slightly butt heavy rod if my application was bottom bouncing

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:21 pm

Well, I can say the old NFC carbon grips were junk. They have made improvements, so they say. I'm assuming they should be better

KP Duty
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by KP Duty » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:48 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:21 pm
Well, I can say the old NFC carbon grips were junk. They have made improvements, so they say. I'm assuming they should be better
I like the carbon grips on my black widows. They look and feel like carbon fiber. My Glorious XC's look and feel like plastic.

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:20 pm

I have the NEO-hybrid Edge rod with the soft touch handle. I think it feels really nice. It's similar to the soft touch reel seats and fairly grippy when wet. It reminds me a bit of the feel of the black widow handle, though obviously a different shape. Can't really speak on sensitivity because my rod is a composite cranking blank, but I don't think it would hurt the performance at all.

Also, don't forget to use the code "BUILD10" to get 10% off.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:01 pm

I had a Carbon handle years and years ago on a Rogue rod, Rogue rods where pretty good rods back in the
day.