Titanium Framed reels?

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Re: Titanium Framed reels?

Post by mark poulson » Tue May 05, 2020 9:02 pm

ska4fun wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:24 pm
Houndfish wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 1:42 pm
LowRange wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 11:18 am
Plastic parts on firearms is limited to grips and accessories is it? No one is making plastic actions or barrels. Plastic drag stars and side plates are fine but I want my frame to be metal at the very least. I would prefer a metal drag star and dual side plates just to make the reel feel nice, solid and high end.
No, polymer framed handguns have metal rails embedded in the plastic that interface with the metal slide. It's not taking a ton of direct force but it's still impressive the roundcounts and heat they can withstand. People lost their minds about it when they first started becoming a market force and there a a million "glock 17 torture tests" if you want to read up on it.

I like metal side plates a lot of the time but in the winter I want plastic 100% of the time. If I had a garage to pre-heat my reels in I might feel different.
And I want polymer frames because I fish in a very hot region. I even burned my hand when caught my second reel wich was exposed to direct sun.
When I was a framer we used to have to cover the steel skilsaws when we laid them down in the summer, or we couldn't pick them up because they were so hot.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed May 06, 2020 4:14 am

Try leaving you tool box drawer open in Iraq and letting that hot sun bake those tools. Ouch. To learn to close/cover real quick.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Wed May 06, 2020 11:38 am

ska4fun wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:24 pm
Houndfish wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Plastic parts on firearms is limited to grips and accessories is it? No one is making plastic actions or barrels. Plastic drag stars and side plates are fine but I want my frame to be metal at the very least. I would prefer a metal drag star and dual side plates just to make the reel feel nice, solid and high end.
No, polymer framed handguns have metal rails embedded in the plastic that interface with the metal slide. It's not taking a ton of direct force but it's still impressive the roundcounts and heat they can withstand. People lost their minds about it when they first started becoming a market force and there a a million "glock 17 torture tests" if you want to read up on it.

I like metal side plates a lot of the time but in the winter I want plastic 100% of the time. If I had a garage to pre-heat my reels in I might feel different.
And I want polymer frames because I fish in a very hot region. I even burned my hand when caught my second reel wich was exposed to direct sun.
Reel covers are an amazing thing.... 8-)
<")))><{

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Thu May 07, 2020 8:34 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:14 am
Try leaving you tool box drawer open in Iraq and letting that hot sun bake those tools. Ouch. To learn to close/cover real quick.
Funny how some lessons stick after the first time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri May 08, 2020 5:35 am

Well at least now you won't be burnt by a metal clutch return leg if you ever leave it out in the sun...
Attachments
IMG_20200509_073014.jpg
16 Meta
IMG_20200509_073014.jpg (70.08 KiB) Viewed 7353 times
IMG_20200508_223130.jpg
20 Meta
IMG_20200508_223130.jpg (48.01 KiB) Viewed 7411 times
Last edited by Slazmo on Fri May 08, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri May 08, 2020 6:01 am

I want to say Abu and a few other manufacturers offer titanium parts in larger sized models. I think the Revo Premier 30 I owned was the cutoff, the 40 size had a titanium main shaft or something, the other smaller sizes either had aluminum/brass/steel.

LgMouthGambler
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LgMouthGambler » Fri May 08, 2020 7:29 am

Slazmo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:35 am
Well at least now you won't be burnt by a metal clutch return leg if you ever leave it out in the sun...
Haha! Now I dont want any of them Shimano people knocking on Doyo!
<")))><{

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Fri May 08, 2020 12:10 pm

I don't see why would this be such a big deal for a company like shimano/daiwa. They could make em in low quantities for saltwater purposes only. If they become popular, extend from there. Not only is marketing Titanium teels "Our Ti reels are built like a tank" would be extremely easy (especially toward saltwater guys), but titanium itself isn't even expensive. This could be a good thing for Daiwa. Shimano has the "computer aka DC" inside their reels, while Daiwa has "Ti tanks". A Ryoga or a Millionaire in full titanium would be pretty hot.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 08, 2020 12:48 pm

Houndfish wrote:
LowRange wrote:

So it is still metal on metal. It's just plastic peices attached to metal functioning parts of the firearm. Sort of like plastic drag stars and side plates on reels?

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri May 08, 2020 2:03 pm

LgMouthGambler wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:29 am
Slazmo wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:35 am
Haha! Now I dont want any of them Shimano people knocking on Doyo!
I still wouldn't buy Doyo. But then again I wouldn't buy a reel with a plastic clutch return leg either.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri May 08, 2020 2:06 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 12:48 pm
on metal. It's just plastic peices attached to metal functioning parts of the firearm. Sort of like plastic drag stars and side plates on reels?

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/201 ... he-answer/

Metal embedded in the plastic that takes the force of the shot. The plastic frame is legally the "firearm", with a metal plate with the SSN on it embedded in the plastic.

It's hard to overstate how much gun nerds lost their minds over plastic pistols. It turned out to be a lot of nothing so I am fairly unconcerned about what my fishing reels are made of, if they fail it's just a bummer, not a small bomb going off inches from my face.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri May 08, 2020 2:19 pm

Just looks like a plastic grip to me. The firearms bits are still made like traditional firearms bits.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri May 08, 2020 2:36 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 2:19 pm
Just looks like a plastic grip to me. The firearms bits are still made like traditional firearms bits.
I know, but it was a filthy bit bit european plastic trash and many teeth were gnashed and pearls clutched. It's why people moaning about "Plastic!" without talking about what the part is, the force it sees, and the type of plastic it even is makes my eyeball twitch. It's like the opposite of people getting super excited about "Carbon Fiber!" without asking the same questions.

I would take a reel made of Glock plastic, gearing and all, over one made entirely of Raven Arms pot metal any day of the week.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Fri May 08, 2020 2:40 pm

With the firearm build it seems that the rails are embodied deeply and into the FRN* plastic while it's injection moulded around it to make it as secure as possible and whatever parts are attached to it as the rest.

Cycling heat through the barrel and the like and how much is absorbed into the grip etc is conducive to many factor's also, again coming from a non firearm society of fearful sissies...

When a gun is shot / cycled - there aren't any rotational cranking forces with gears in the mix. Now I could see an issue with a forearm such as a Dilon being made of composites and - for $100k there would be outcries.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Fri May 08, 2020 4:46 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 4:14 am
Yeah, when I was in the Army at Ft Irwin CA. Working in the desert in the mid day sun, I'd wear gloves to keep from getting burnt hands.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious