YGK x8 Upgrade on Spinning Reels

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

YGK x8 Upgrade on Spinning Reels

Post by reason162 » Mon May 18, 2020 10:13 am

I'm really liking the YGK Upgrade on my baitcasters, but I prefer a limper, softer braid for my spinners (I'm using J braid x8 currently, it works okay but it holds a lot of water and in wind I'm sure I can do better).

I do a lot of slack-line rod tip twitches, small jerkbaits etc where I'm winding slack a lot...and I find some of the stiffer more wiry braids (that work so beautifully on baitcasters) forms rather frequent loops under the spool. Has anyone tried the 14lb YGK Upgrade on spinning reels for stuff like shaky heads/ned/tight lining etc?

Any other recommendations for a finesse braid on spinning reels that is relatively limp but won't absorb as much water as jbraid x8?

bbates3
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: YGK x8 Upgrade on Spinning Reels

Post by bbates3 » Mon May 18, 2020 11:15 am

What lb test of teh x8 are you having success with on your bait casting set ups?

I tried 30lb and it didn't work out well at all switched to 50lb recently and its working better for me

As far as spinning set ups i haven't tried the x8, but i do really like this line from YGK, i have it on 2 of my combo's and haven't had an issue with it so far and ive pretty much exclusively fished it in salt water

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... _2392_2394

i have 16lb on one combo and either 10 or 14 on the other one, so far its holding up, casts great, no wind knots, casts super far

if i was rigging up another spinning rod today this is the line i would order and i have lots of PP, PP ss v2, sufix braid, jbraid etc.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: YGK x8 Upgrade on Spinning Reels

Post by reason162 » Tue May 19, 2020 5:53 am

bbates3 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:15 am
What lb test of teh x8 are you having success with on your bait casting set ups?
Yeah I believe I have 40 or 45 of the x8 Upgrade, works very well on my baitcasters.

The SS112...is it more like the YGK Upgrade, stiffer than J braid x8? I've been eyeing that line for awhile.