Alternatives to Carl's Drag Grease for BFS?

How small is your rod and how light is your line? It's not about the size of your tackle, but how you work it. Come share your Ultralight and Bait Finesse System (BFS) fishing success here!
patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Alternatives to Carl's Drag Grease for BFS?

Post by patrickrio » Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:00 am

So, I am about to do the drag lapping procedure to smooth out my drag and I have received carbontex replacements from smoothdrag.com.

Before doing the lappinga and filling the new disks with grease, I wanted to test the Carl's drag grease to see how it functioned. It seems to be very waxy, which means that until it warms up, it seems to increase the drag a bit from where it is when warm. Granted, I am using the old, non carbontex disks for this test, and doing so before lapping, so that might make a difference too. However, while this increase plus normal differences between static and dynamic friction probably don't matter much for heavier fishing, it seems to be a pretty big difference when set for protecting 2lb test line.

What is the suggested method for reducing the difference between static and dynamic friction while making it so drag pressure remains constant for a whole day even when some significant drag use events happen? I think the lapping and carbontex will help, but maybe a switch to a less waxy grease is in order? How do you pick something that keeps drag constant without becoming higher friction when the drag heats up/lubricant evaporates? Or no grease at all?

I am sure one of you guys who uses BFS a lot has figured this out!

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alternatives to Carl's Drag Grease for BFS?

Post by Slazmo » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:43 pm

Run a super light grease on them. It acts both wet and dry at the same time. Not like you'll be giving any real drag pressures with 2lb.

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:16 am

thanks

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:13 am

apparently Cal's has a light "purple" drag grease. Has anyone tried this for bait finesse? The tan solidifies when cold and is pretty thick and pasty.

Any other specific recommendations for a good lightweight grease for a BFS drag? maybe something NGLI 00 or 0 weight? Is that too light?

eklikewhoa
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by eklikewhoa » Sun May 24, 2020 7:09 am

I'm using Deuthlon drag grease and it's amazing in everything, incredibly smooth drag pressure so no jerky skips which is favorable in bfs

patrickrio
Angler
Angler

Post by patrickrio » Sun May 24, 2020 1:33 pm

The only Duethlon drag grease product I could find is called "Duethlon Power Drag Grease" and it is designed to increase "drag force by a factor of 50 ~ 60% extra" direct quote... It says it is a thicker/waxier product to increase drag but keep drag results consistent.

If there is another Duethlon product designed for super low drag pressures found in BFS that I missed, please let me know.