Compact Jigs

Jig it, spin it, buzz it, if it's got a wire or a lead head, it can and will be discussed in here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Compact Jigs

Post by goldrod » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:06 pm

Just got some OutKast tackle tungsten feider jigs in
Went Through amazon because blue black is hard to find.

It’s a compact pitching jig with a tungsten head and I wanted to know if anyone else has tried them or any other compact jig
What your experiences were and equipment used to deploy the jig?

How do you guys like compact jigs in general and under what circumstances do you reach for them?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Compact Jigs

Post by Houndfish » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:17 pm

The only compact/heavy jigs that I use are the Kietech casting jig but only then when fishing a lead-ban lake.

I do fish smaller/lighter jigs all the time, my most used size is 1/4oz and I fish a lot of 1/8oz ones as well. I fish a lot of pretty shallow water so I generally want to maximize fall time and minimize the dredging up of soft muck bottoms.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:23 am

i'm gonna try the bill lowen jigheads from lure parts online sometime this year. they're compact.

i think you get more bites with smaller baits most of the time. yeah you may catch small fish, but you're gonna catch some big ones also. i fish strictly for fun, and want to catch fish the 1 or 2 times a week i actually get to go.

i've been crappie fishing a lot lately with 1/8oz weedless crappie jigs. last week, 1st fish of the morning was probably 2 1/4-2 1/2# largemouth on that jighead with a 2" baby shad plastic. i was just fishing it more like i would for bass instead of crappie.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:34 am

Jason Penn wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:23 am
i'm gonna try the bill lowen jigheads from lure parts online sometime this year. they're compact.

i think you get more bites with smaller baits most of the time. yeah you may catch small fish, but you're gonna catch some big ones also. i fish strictly for fun, and want to catch fish the 1 or 2 times a week i actually get to go.

i've been crappie fishing a lot lately with 1/8oz weedless crappie jigs. last week, 1st fish of the morning was probably 2 1/4-2 1/2# largemouth on that jighead with a 2" baby shad plastic. i was just fishing it more like i would for bass instead of crappie.

Let us know

I’ve recently got the OutKast Seth Fielder tungsten compact jig
Unlike the compact jig that dirty jigs has this hook is about 1/2 the strength
I ordered from amazon and TWH. The ones from TWH have the weight stamped in the head but the ones from Amazon do not. So I question the authenticity but still fishing it.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:57 pm

the set up
Attachments
Image-19.jpg
Image-19.jpg (127.46 KiB) Viewed 9473 times

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:51 pm

how could you possibly use a rod that has no sensitivity?? 😄

my pb was caught on comp-x probably 9-10 years ago. i loved fishing with that rod

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:33 pm

Jason Penn wrote:
Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:51 pm
how could you possibly use a rod that has no sensitivity?? 😄

my pb was caught on comp-x probably 9-10 years ago. i loved fishing with that rod
I use 20lb floro and it’s worked for me.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:36 am

i was kidding, i've never had problems feeling anything with any of the steez rods i've owned.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:03 am

Jason Penn wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:36 am
i was kidding, i've never had problems feeling anything with any of the steez rods i've owned.
I know.
It’s a pretty good stick. I’ve heard people say that it dead in the hands but i like you haven’t had that experience. I attribute it to having a shimano on a Daiwa rod. :lol:

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:22 am

I regularly fish Riot Baits Minima Jigs. Awesome full weight small profile Flippin jig.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:43 am

white84z wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:22 am
I regularly fish Riot Baits Minima Jigs. Awesome full weight small profile Flippin jig.
Have you tried stroking a compact jig?
I think I’ll try that. I know most people do it with a heavy jig but why not right ?

white84z
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by white84z » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:22 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:43 am
white84z wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:22 am
Have you tried stroking a compact jig?
I think I’ll try that. I know most people do it with a heavy jig but why not right ?
I really fish cover mostly, have never tried stroking a jig period. Don't really drag them either. Just in and out of cover from the bank.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:34 am

I really enjoy compact jigs. My go to have been the Keitech Model 1 and Model 2. I've been fishing quite a few Queen Tackle Tungsten jigs lately since Tackle Trap started stocking them and they are outstanding. The Picasso Little Spotty Jig is another excellent compact jig... for a non-tungsten compact, the Molix Kento jig is a nice one too.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Bassforce1
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Bassforce1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:32 pm

Haven’t fished the Feider but dirty jigs’ scott canterbury compact flipping jig is real nice, great keeper, gammy hook. I fish heavily pressured urban waters around chicagoland so finesse/compact iigs are a must imo, I fish em on a 6’8” heavy nrx with 15lb pline tactical fluoro pretty much year round.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:12 pm

i didn't order any of the bill lowen jigheads, but i did get in some 1/4oz brush jig heads with a 2/0 hook. i've got a couple made up i will fish tomorrow.

that do-it brush jig is probably my favorite jig for fishing wood.