Spool Overfilled? and Topshot Floro Issues

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Spool Overfilled? and Topshot Floro Issues

Post by reason162 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:01 am

I can't get a long topshot of floro to work on spinning reels. If my FG/Alberto is in the spool, sooner or later the braid right behind the knot gets frayed to hell on a random cast (my knots are PERFECT).

14lb YGK x8 Upgrade (4lb US braid dia) to 6lb floro leader, happens w/o fail at some point during the day. Knot outside of spool, no issues. So it's 12ft leader or 100+ yards of straight floro for me.

Do you guys think this spool is overfilled with straight floro? That's 6lb Sniper. Haven't even seen a spool of anything but braid for over a decade lol.

aavery2
Angler
Angler

Re: Spool Overfilled? and Topshot Floro Issues

Post by aavery2 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:14 am

Spool looks filled correctly to me, I'd fish it. I was wondering if you ever thought about or tried adding just a tiny drop of superglue to the the tag ends of the braided line after the knot was tied to help prevent the braided line from unraveling.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:40 am

aavery2 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:14 am
Spool looks filled correctly to me, I'd fish it. I was wondering if you ever thought about or tried adding just a tiny drop of superglue to the the tag ends of the braided line after the knot was tied to help prevent the braided line from unraveling.
Thank you.

The tag end is not unraveling, it's the inch or so of main braid behind the knot that is fraying. You can hear it on a cast, the knot thunking through the guide train. Then you reel it back and the braid is hanging by a few threads. It could happen on the first cast or the 200th cast, but sooner or later it happens.

The actual knot and the floro ahead of it is perfect.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:17 pm

Let the spool tell you. Judging by photo I’d say you’re filled better than maximum. But you’ll know for certain soon enough, mount it, string it up, open the bail. What jumps off the spool is the amount the spool doesn’t want.
PEACE

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:07 am

GOOD YEAR 71 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:17 pm
Let the spool tell you. Judging by photo I’d say you’re filled better than maximum. But you’ll know for certain soon enough, mount it, string it up, open the bail. What jumps off the spool is the amount the spool doesn’t want.
Excellent, thank you. I just cut off about 15 yards of slinky line.

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:17 pm

That is a very unusual issue to have. I run a topshot or just a long leader of 6-12 feet often. It's not happen to me like this.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:44 am

I started underfilling the spool when I have flouro, not a lot, maybe 12’/15’. Hasn’t impacted my casting ability or distance at all BUT it’s helped with reducing spinning loops and stuff. I know that’s not exactly your issue but it may help a little.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:21 pm

I make my leader as long as the rod I am using, that way the knot never ends up in my reel.
Its worked perfect for me, I use a FG knot.

Your reel looks good to me, I fill mine up about the same amount but with braid...

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:07 am

slipperybob wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:17 pm
That is a very unusual issue to have. I run a topshot or just a long leader of 6-12 feet often. It's not happen to me like this.
After talking to a few people, it's not that unusual. Knot inside the spool (for a 7'6 rod that's 13ft+) leads to problems, knot outside of spool zero issues. I think what you're throwing matters as well. Whipping out a spybait as far as I can = braid fraying eventually, lobbing out a dropshot or weightless fluke jr. almost no issues.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:19 am

Johnny A wrote:
Thu Aug 20, 2020 5:44 am
I started underfilling the spool when I have flouro, not a lot, maybe 12’/15’. Hasn’t impacted my casting ability or distance at all BUT it’s helped with reducing spinning loops and stuff. I know that’s not exactly your issue but it may help a little.
Yeah I ended up stripping off the 6lb sniper for 5lb, and filling a little less. This is about perfect, still get some loops and twist on slack line but it's tolerable. If Daiwa can achieve Shimano's line lay I'd never consider a Shimano spinner again lol.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 4:18 pm

reason162 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:19 am
If Daiwa can achieve Shimano's line lay I'd never consider a Shimano spinner again lol.
Have you tried the Stella FJ?

Greg64
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Greg64 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 3:51 pm

So, are knots on the spool considered problematic. I'm having problems with one of my reels, in particular. I have the knot on the spool; plus, I may have too much braid on the spool.

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:18 am

I've had this issue of fraying right behind the knot as well.

What I found was if I had the knot in the spool on the cast, then as that knot joint comes off the spool it must be heavier and not flying straight. The knot ends up wrapping around the first guide on the rod, then snapping back around before continuing out the guide train. That wrapping and snapping back causes the braid to wear fast, eventually leading to failure. I actually had the braid break, the line hanging off the spool was exactly the length to the first guide.

I've since started using a shorter leader and not had a problem.