How long does braid last

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: How long does braid last

Post by mthao105 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:46 am

Unless there is significant fraying, I leave it on until my spool is low. Oldest braid I have now is going on 3 seasons. I tie braid to leader though, so that may help a bit.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:00 am

mark poulson wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:51 pm
If I get hung up and can't get it back, I tie my line off to a cleat, and use the TM to pull....
I wonder if your line cut part-way into itself at a point where it crossed over itself on a cleat, once you applied desnagging pressure; that could account for the weak spot.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:44 pm

I have some 60lb Suffix that is on it's 5th or 6th season. I keep having to bounce it to shallower and shallower spools, this might be it's last season before it gets too short. It's very very faded but it has never let me down.

Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 108642 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:04 pm

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:04 pm

Bronzeye wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:00 am
mark poulson wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:51 pm
If I get hung up and can't get it back, I tie my line off to a cleat, and use the TM to pull....
I wonder if your line cut part-way into itself at a point where it crossed over itself on a cleat, once you applied desnagging pressure; that could account for the weak spot.
That is a good possibility. While I was reversing my braid on one of my Powell Max 733 spinnerbait rods, I noticed that the insert in the top guide was missing, so I have been fishing with no insert for a while. That probably explains why the braid was getting fuzzy. Once I found that to be the case, I check my other Powell Max 733 rod, and it was also missing the top guide insert. I bought both rods at the same time 15 years ago, so I can't complain, except about my failing eyesight! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:47 pm

I know what you mean about the eyesight. Twice this year I have discovered, after making a dozen or more casts, that in my pre-dawn rigging I had run the line through the gap under the tip-top guide ring on a spinning rod instead of through the ring. D'oh!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:02 am

Bronzeye wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:47 pm
I know what you mean about the eyesight. Twice this year I have discovered, after making a dozen or more casts, that in my pre-dawn rigging I had run the line through the gap under the tip-top guide ring on a spinning rod instead of through the ring. D'oh!
:lol:
Been there, done that. It happens to all of us at some point. A missed guide, a poorly threaded guide. I remember an old Babe Winkelman tv show where his daughter was fishing with him, and had passed the line through the hook hanger when she was rigging up. So it happens to the pros, too.
Thursday I fished with my buddy in his boat, and he's been bass fishing forever. He broke off his drop shot, and had to rerig. When he did, he missed the tip guide altogether, and fished for an hour like that before he noticed it. Of course he blamed that for his missed fish. And he is 12 years younger than I am. :lol: :lol: :lol: