Punching Rods....Help me find the one.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Punching Rods....Help me find the one.

Post by Jeep » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:44 am

I'm looking for a punching rod. So far I have used a couple top contenders. I have used the NRX 916 and the Megabass warhammer. So those are both out because I would like to go another route. I would like to keep my rod cost at $800.00 or below. So come on guys give me some options please.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Punching Rods....Help me find the one.

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:52 am

When you're punching, are you in the camp that prefers something more moderate, or do you want something super stiff and fast tapered?

Alright.. no immediate answer, so I'm going to continue while I have the time. Assuming you want a proper, moderate taper punching rod, here are my suggestions:

Megabass: I asked the original question because I find the Warhammer more of a proper flipping stick than a punching rod. It has a really nice, responsive tip, but a fast taper. I think the Bunker Buster fishes more moderate than its rating and would make an excellent punching rod - especially if you're punching through thick patches of submerged weeds that are just starting to matt out over the surface and not some of that floating pennywort on the CA Delta.

If you want something less glamorous, you can't go wrong with iRod's AIR IRA7104PRG-H. This stick was spec'd by Bub Tosh, who makes part of his living by punching on the CA Delta on the way to top finishes on the CA Delta year after year.

Is nostalgia your game? Delta Anglers really covet Daiwa's STZ801HFBA as the perfect rod for punching. I hear anglers are paying ridiculous money for the original sticks - enough to make me think of selling mine, but I hate shipping rods. 🤷‍♂️

Lastly... if custom is your style or even not, Kistler's Helium 7'10" Heavy is the current day version of the He3711MAD, Mark Daniel's signature stick when he was with Kistler. Daniels is another Delta Rat, and that stick was really hot for a while. You can contact Kistler directly and have that 7'10" heavy built up exactly how you want... like with spiral wrapped guides and a full rear grip of cork or EVA instead of the split.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:12 am

Cal wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:52 am
When you're punching, are you in the camp that prefers something more moderate, or do you want something super stiff and fast tapered?
Sorry about that. I should have been more specific. I will be throwing a 1oz weight with hook and creature bait. I need to power the fish out after the hookset so I'm up for options. I would be throwing into shallower pads 20 to 25 yards deep sometimes.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:13 am

Hah! of course you replied as I was typing up that lengthy response :lol: :lol: :lol: ... check it out, hope it helps ;)

And btw.. the Warhammer will handle what you described as your punching scenario... I was more concerned in situations with the floating vegetation that the rod is too fast and would rip the hook out of the fish's mouth or allow it to gain the leverage to throw the hook.
Cal, Managing Editor

Jeep
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jeep » Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:39 am

Cal wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:13 am
Hah! of course you replied as I was typing up that lengthy response :lol: :lol: :lol: ... check it out, hope it helps ;)

And btw.. the Warhammer will handle what you described as your punching scenario... I was more concerned in situations with the floating vegetation that the rod is too fast and would rip the hook out of the fish's mouth or allow it to gain the leverage to throw the hook.
Thank you for the list of options. I think you should just sell me your STZ801 so I can post pics of all the bass I catch on it... :lol: :lol: I will try to procure a Steez or a bunker buster and give them a shot. Thank you for your input. Its highly valued

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:02 am

I got the model number wrong.. it's actually STZ802HFBA .... because it's a 2 piece stick separating at the handle ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:24 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:02 am
I got the model number wrong.. it's actually STZ802HFBA .... because it's a 2 piece stick separating at the handle ;)
That’s my favorite punching stick!

JonathanSeto
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by JonathanSeto » Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:49 pm

froteur wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:24 pm
Cal wrote:
Mine too!

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:07 pm

JonathanSeto wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:49 pm
froteur wrote:
Cal wrote:
Mine too!

I think you need to ask your Dad about “The List” ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

JonathanSeto
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by JonathanSeto » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:14 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:07 pm
JonathanSeto wrote:
froteur wrote:
Cal wrote:
Mine too!

:lol: Pretty sure there are two STZ802HFBA on “The List” :-$

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:16 pm

JonathanSeto wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:14 pm

:lol: Pretty sure there are two STZ802HFBA on “The List” :-$
Not the same list then ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

froteur
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by froteur » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:18 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:07 pm
JonathanSeto wrote:
froteur wrote:
Cal wrote:
Mine too!

Except that we already have two of them. 😬

But I “will” tell him about the “list”.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:16 pm

I have a 2019 Kistler zbone 7'10H that is very very good for intended application. I'd say the rod is a more moderate action but to me it fishes like a fast action- feels similar to my NRX 894 with a bit longer and a bit stronger.

bought it to punch but have been fishing it with heavy t-rigs as the grass on okeechobee was dead in 2019 and early 2020.

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Wed Aug 26, 2020 4:26 pm

Cal wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:52 am

Alright.. no immediate answer, so I'm going to continue while I have the time. Assuming you want a proper, moderate taper punching rod, here are my suggestions:

Megabass: I asked the original question because I find the Warhammer more of a proper flipping stick than a punching rod. It has a really nice, responsive tip, but a fast taper. I think the Bunker Buster fishes more moderate than its rating and would make an excellent punching rod - especially if you're punching through thick patches of submerged weeds that are just starting to matt out over the surface and not some of that floating pennywort on the CA Delta.

If you want something less glamorous, you can't go wrong with iRod's AIR IRA7104PRG-H. This stick was spec'd by Bub Tosh, who makes part of his living by punching on the CA Delta on the way to top finishes on the CA Delta year after year.

Is nostalgia your game? Delta Anglers really covet Daiwa's STZ801HFBA as the perfect rod for punching. I hear anglers are paying ridiculous money for the original sticks - enough to make me think of selling mine, but I hate shipping rods. 🤷‍♂️

Lastly... if custom is your style or even not, Kistler's Helium 7'10" Heavy is the current day version of the He3711MAD, Mark Daniel's signature stick when he was with Kistler. Daniels is another Delta Rat, and that stick was really hot for a while. You can contact Kistler directly and have that 7'10" heavy built up exactly how you want... like with spiral wrapped guides and a full rear grip of cork or EVA instead of the split.
I love the Warhammer for punching but find .yself reaching for the Bunker Buster a lot more. Love it for punching.

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Thu Aug 27, 2020 5:14 am

Take a look at the shimano expride 1711XH. It's a beast of a rod and a great for punching.

It's also very durable, no issues in my mind to make some huge hooksets with this rod.

On the other hand, if you enjoy snapping rods on the hookset, the warhammer or other MB offerings might be a good choice.