Better than the average travel rod?

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Better than the average travel rod?

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:13 pm

Thanks for the replies. Has anyone heard of or have travel rods from a company called Jabbers? I've seen some comments on the Wanderlust model. These rods are inexpensive and look nice, but I can't help but feel that performance is probably lacking.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:00 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:41 pm
I have two of the Daiwa BBB. One casting one spinning, that are always with me in the car. The fact that you can fully collapse them, make them SO much more practical in my opinion. You can put them in the luggage with the reel attached, add them on the side of your hiking backpack and just store them in general very easily.

They are beautifully made, balance well and look pretty good. Also the performance is nice. The sensitivity is pretty good and competes with something like a Dobyns Sierra.

The power of the Daiwa B.B.B Baitcasting 666TMLRB (casting version) is a medium light and it is fine for any kind of small tackle tasks (on up to 15 pound test), but I would not throw a frog on it or do any kind of heavy application technique.
I have 666TMLRB as well and really like it. Unfortunately, I do find that it’s slower to set up and take down then a four part rod due to the fussiness with the floating guides and just having more pieces to align straight. But it cannot be beat for compactness.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:46 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:00 am
freelancer27 wrote:
I have two of the Daiwa BBB. One casting one spinning, that are always with me in the car. The fact that you can fully collapse them, make them SO much more practical in my opinion. You can put them in the luggage with the reel attached, add them on the side of your hiking backpack and just store them in general very easily.

They are beautifully made, balance well and look pretty good. Also the performance is nice. The sensitivity is pretty good and competes with something like a Dobyns Sierra.

The power of the Daiwa B.B.B Baitcasting 666TMLRB (casting version) is a medium light and it is fine for any kind of small tackle tasks (on up to 15 pound test), but I would not throw a frog on it or do any kind of heavy application technique.
I have 666TMLRB as well and really like it. Unfortunately, I do find that it’s slower to set up and take down then a four part rod due to the fussiness with the floating guides and just having more pieces to align straight. But it cannot be beat for compactness.
I guess it depends.

For the multi piece rods, one usually needs to take the time to thread the line through the guides and then tie on the lure. All of that is not needed for the telescopic rod, but I agree, aligning the guides can take a bit time. I usually dont care that much. Spiral wrapped guides ;)

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:02 pm

Never thought about a telescopic rod. Are there any other good options out there?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:19 pm

freelancer27 wrote:

Saying it competes with a Sierra kinda turns me off. I'm really after a quality blank.

freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by freelancer27 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:36 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:19 pm
freelancer27 wrote:

Saying it competes with a Sierra kinda turns me off. I'm really after a quality blank.
Maybe I was a bit too negative here. I used the Spinning version for drop shot and I liked it a lot. The casting version I only used for moving baits. So, cant really say much about the sensitivity.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:18 pm

freelancer27 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:46 pm
I guess it depends.

For the multi piece rods, one usually needs to take the time to thread the line through the guides and then tie on the lure. All of that is not needed for the telescopic rod, but I agree, aligning the guides can take a bit time. I usually dont care that much. Spiral wrapped guides ;)
I timed myself, I can put a 4-part together, thread the line, and tie a lure on in less time then setting up the BBB. It's not a huge difference, but the 4-part is a lot less annoying.

I love the idea of using it to try out a spiral-wrap though, that's hilarious.
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I will say that I can fish a weightless senko on mine and not feel like I am handicapping myself much, I can easily feel a little slack line tap. It's not a rod that I would pick for bottom contact, but I bought it mainly for small topwaters, flukes, and senkos.

It's outrageously compact though, which is it's main appeal. I can easily fit it fully inside a 11L daypack and the case it comes in is the perfect blend of light and sturdy.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:26 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:18 pm
freelancer27 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:46 pm
I guess it depends.

I timed myself, I can put a 4-part together, thread the line, and tie a lure on in less time then setting up the BBB. It's not a huge difference, but the 4-part is a lot less annoying.

I love the idea of using it to try out a spiral-wrap though, that's hilarious.
Hogsticker2 wrote:
I will say that I can fish a weightless senko on mine and not feel like I am handicapping myself much, I can easily feel a little slack line tap. It's not a rod that I would pick for bottom contact, but I bought it mainly for small topwaters, flukes, and senkos.

It's outrageously compact though, which is it's main appeal. I can easily fit it fully inside a 11L daypack and the case it comes in is the perfect blend of light and sturdy.
I think I like the idea of 4 piece over telescopic. I also believe a multi piece blank will likely provide a little better sensitivity. Convenience factor sounds about the same, as you tested.

q1w2e3_89
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by q1w2e3_89 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:21 am

Being without a car and a frequent international traveler, I don't own any 1 piece rods and half of them can be broken down to under 60cm to fit in a suitcase.

Looking at the >2 piece options, your choices are quite limited and it would be hard to find rods that are noticeably "above average". But since you asked, I'd rank them (in descending order): any Fishman rod (probably not easy to get outside Asia) > Abu Hornet Stinger series > Megabass Secret Service > Tailwalk Namazon. I'd recommend looking into Fishman if you haven't already.

These days I mostly build travel rods myself in order to get exactly what I want.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:39 pm

Fishman Brist rods. I love mine.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:35 pm

q1w2e3_89 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:21 am
Being without a car and a frequent international traveler, I don't own any 1 piece rods and half of them can be broken down to under 60cm to fit in a suitcase.

Looking at the >2 piece options, your choices are quite limited and it would be hard to find rods that are noticeably "above average". But since you asked, I'd rank them (in descending order): any Fishman rod (probably not easy to get outside Asia) > Abu Hornet Stinger series > Megabass Secret Service > Tailwalk Namazon. I'd recommend looking into Fishman if you haven't already.

These days I mostly build travel rods myself in order to get exactly what I want.
Wow. Fishman rods aren't cheap. Looks like Hedgehog Studio carries them. Namazon looks to be a catfish rod - heavier than I'm after. I wonder how they compare to the Tailwalk Fullrange CC? As for the Hornet Stinger, what do you like about it? I owned one, as well as a Fullrange. Decent rods, but the blanks were just kinda there to serve its purpose. Nothing too great from my experience, but definitely serviceable.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:22 am

q1w2e3_89 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:21 am

Reading more on the Abu Garcia, it sounds like maybe I didn't give it a fair shake. Come to think of it, I only fished it one time. Can you tell me what models you have? The 2 and 4 piece medium power rods are rated 3/16 to 3/4. I'm curious if this is accurate, or if they fish lighter than advertised. Seems like these should be somewhat like a 2 piece Fantasista?

q1w2e3_89
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by q1w2e3_89 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:23 pm

Namazon is listed as a catfish rod, but I'm not even sure what that means! It has a lot of power in the lower half and the tip section is pretty soft. Good for non-excessive hooksets while still providing plenty of backbone to drive fish out of structures. No experience with Fullrange CC though.

I've got one of the Abu Hornet Stinger BC rods rated up to 3/4oz and a World Monster (similar stuff, just much heavier action). They get the job done but like you said, I wouldn't consider them anything more than a functional rod. Lure ratings are consistent with JDM manufacturers like Majorcraft.

You might be interested in trying a Goldenmean Packman 4 piece rod. I've not handled one myself, but GM rods are generally underpriced and pretty good quality. Afterall, they are Evergreen's sibling brand. https://www.golden-mean.co.jp/item/salt-water/packman/

I guess I've got a different perspective on pricing of JDM rods after getting spoiled on Hong Kong's tackle shop prices. Rods are generally sold at 30-50% off JPY retail prices. Tax-free too!

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Aug 25, 2020 8:48 pm

Bone Voyage are awesome rods. I currently have 8 of them from the BFS to XXH models and have no complaints. They do fish like one piece rods and don't have flat spots under load. In fact they are all I use and I no longer own any one or two piece rods. Bone Fishing World does have ties with ATC and Zerek but don't let that fool you as they are high quality. I have previously used major craft travel rods but the Bones are definitely better.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:33 pm

q1w2e3_89 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:23 pm
Namazon is listed as a catfish rod, but I'm not even sure what that means! It has a lot of power in the lower half and the tip section is pretty soft. Good for non-excessive hooksets while still providing plenty of backbone to drive fish out of structures. No experience with Fullrange CC though.

I've got one of the Abu Hornet Stinger BC rods rated up to 3/4oz and a World Monster (similar stuff, just much heavier action). They get the job done but like you said, I wouldn't consider them anything more than a functional rod. Lure ratings are consistent with JDM manufacturers like Majorcraft.

You might be interested in trying a Goldenmean Packman 4 piece rod. I've not handled one myself, but GM rods are generally underpriced and pretty good quality. Afterall, they are Evergreen's sibling brand. https://www.golden-mean.co.jp/item/salt-water/packman/

I guess I've got a different perspective on pricing of JDM rods after getting spoiled on Hong Kong's tackle shop prices. Rods are generally sold at 30-50% off JPY retail prices. Tax-free too!
These look interesting. Where do you order from? Associated with Evergreen eh.. I wonder who makes the blanks.