River Jig Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Scud_Muffin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

River Jig Rod

Post by Scud_Muffin » Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:58 am

Hey everyone,

Ive found a good place to fish that’s close to me and a technique that seems to work well for the bass that reside in its waters. This is a species that lives in and around rapids and jigs seem to do well as they key in on crawfish.

I’ve been using a 7’ M Expride spinning rod for shakyheads and 1/4 oz jigs but sometimes they don’t get deep as fast as I need them to. I was thinking a heavier casting rod would work well. I wade fish and casts are pretty short with small targets I’m trying to hit so precision is a value.

What length/power rod jumps out at you as an all around jig rod with jigs weighing between 3/16-1/2 oz? I fish the 1/2 very rarely because it seems to snag far more so 3/8 is likely to be the most typical weight. It has its place though in less snaggy but fast water.

I was considering the Expride in M 6’10” so it could double as a jerkbait/square bill rod but I’m not sure it will do much better than the spinning rod. So maybe the 7’2” MH Expride or a GLX MBR 783 or 843?

This is to be paired with a Curado 70 MGL.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: River Jig Rod

Post by i_am_R2 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:41 am

As soon as I read the description of the environment I thought this has GLX 783 written all over it then got to the end of your post and saw you were thinking of it as well. I think that would be a great option and it will work for the other baits you mentioned also. Good luck with your decision!

Scud_Muffin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scud_Muffin » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:44 am

i_am_R2 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:41 am
As soon as I read the description of the environment I thought this has GLX 783 written all over it then got to the end of your post and saw you were thinking of it as well. I think that would be a great option and it will work for the other baits you mentioned also. Good luck with your decision!
Thanks!! Anything in particular about that rod that makes it a good fit?

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:04 am

The first thing that came to mind is the length. I still like and fish with shorter rods often and think that length would be perfect especially if accuracy is important. It also has excellent sensitivity, a strong backbone, and a nice tip for working the baits you mentioned. It's a great all around rod in my opinion.

Scud_Muffin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scud_Muffin » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:52 am

i_am_R2 wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:04 am
The first thing that came to mind is the length. I still like and fish with shorter rods often and think that length would be perfect especially if accuracy is important. It also has excellent sensitivity, a strong backbone, and a nice tip for working the baits you mentioned. It's a great all around rod in my opinion.
Sounds perfect! I think we have our front runner.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:26 pm

The GLX 783 sounds like a perfect fit, it’s an outstanding 1/4oz jig rod and do a ton more. My only beef with it is that I think the handle is too long for anything tip-down.

Scud_Muffin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scud_Muffin » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:23 am

Houndfish wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:26 pm
The GLX 783 sounds like a perfect fit, it’s an outstanding 1/4oz jig rod and do a ton more. My only beef with it is that I think the handle is too long for anything tip-down.
I wonder if that even matters for me as I’m wading most of the time and the tip down stuff is a bit hard to do when waist deep. Thanks, I think I’ve narrowed it down to that 783c, 782c to give a bit more flex for jumping fish and lighter jigs, or the Expride 610M to save a few bucks/have a stellar Jerkbait rod that works great for micro/finesse jigs. Thus far leaning 783c if for no other reason than my 7’M Expride(S) can cover micro jigs.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:34 am

If you are sticking to 3/8 + trailer and 1/2 + trailer (and are willing to go into this price range), I'd consider the P5 Super Destroyer. At 6'9" it's a great length for wading, its taper is super universal, and the rod is very, very sensitive for jigging. If you're looking for a rod that can also handle 1/4oz the SD might be overpowered, though.

I have a GLX 843 and it's a great 1/4 jig rod that can also handle 3/8, I'd think that you can't go wrong with the 78x versions of that rod (I'd go with a 3-power for more versatility).

Personally, I've never liked the Exprides much for bottom contact. I have three (including the 6'10" M) and I love them for moving baits and slack line bite detection, but find them too soft for jigging, detecting grass etc. If pushed, I'd jig on a GLX over the Expride every day of the week (but I'd throw jerkbaits in the Expride every day of the week). Your mileage may vary, of course, since you've been using an Expride for your bottom contact fishing so far.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:59 am

Scud_Muffin wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:23 am

I wonder if that even matters for me as I’m wading most of the time and the tip down stuff is a bit hard to do when waist deep. Thanks, I think I’ve narrowed it down to that 783c, 782c to give a bit more flex for jumping fish and lighter jigs, or the Expride 610M to save a few bucks/have a stellar Jerkbait rod that works great for micro/finesse jigs. Thus far leaning 783c if for no other reason than my 7’M Expride(S) can cover micro jigs.
I don't think it will, the handle isn't like super super long, but it is when compared to the older MBR and CR rods, which I have a few of and also love. Plus side, there is enough cork on there that the rod should float a light reel if you slip ;)

I have a old model 782c GLX and to me it feels a lot softer then the 3 powers, esp in the tip. I think it's an ideal senko/small paddletail/popper rod, but I don't like it as much for anything bottom-contact other then really light tubes or shakeyheads.

If you want a really short rod, try and track down an old 723c GLX. My first "nice rod" was the IMX version and it is what started me down this dark path. You have to pay strict attention to slackline management to insure good hookset chances, but the power/taper/tip are still on point and a 6' rod is a dream to hike/wade with.

Scud_Muffin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scud_Muffin » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:24 am

Houndfish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:59 am
Scud_Muffin wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:23 am
I don't think it will, the handle isn't like super super long, but it is when compared to the older MBR and CR rods, which I have a few of and also love. Plus side, there is enough cork on there that the rod should float a light reel if you slip ;)

I have a old model 782c GLX and to me it feels a lot softer then the 3 powers, esp in the tip. I think it's an ideal senko/small paddletail/popper rod, but I don't like it as much for anything bottom-contact other then really light tubes or shakeyheads.

If you want a really short rod, try and track down an old 723c GLX. My first "nice rod" was the IMX version and it is what started me down this dark path. You have to pay strict attention to slackline management to insure good hookset chances, but the power/taper/tip are still on point and a 6' rod is a dream to hike/wade with.
Ah the 2 power being a bit light actually was a consideration for me that I wanted to test. I had heard the Loomis rods run a hair light to begin with.

Thanks for the tips! It really helps me understand what it is I’m looking for. I hadn’t really considered slack line management with a shorter rod but that makes sense.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:48 am

Since you fish fast current, which is likely to put a bow in your line (especially in a cross-current presentation), I would be inclined toward a 3-power rather than a 2-power. You don't want a long rod for short-range pinpoint casting (unless you are exclusively pitching), so you need a stiffish rod to set a jig hook when you have lost some of the hookset-sweep distance to just taking the slack out of the line.

romans
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by romans » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:25 pm

I cannot speak to the "new" glx rods but the older MBR rods I am familiar with. With that being said, if powers and tapers havent changed much between the "old" and the "new" MBR rods then I would steer clear of the 782 for the given application. My vote is 783 for what you are looking to do with it. I also think you will find the 783 more versatile for your circumstance.

Scud_Muffin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scud_Muffin » Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:17 pm

Thanks y’all! I appreciate all the tips and the array of opinions. I try not to buy too often and enjoy researching so that I end up with something I really love. Y’all have been a huge help!

So bit of a wrench to throw in the mix. I greatly prefer to support our local shops, but they only have the imx pro 803c JWR as the closest to what we have discussed. Would this be too far off the mark and what’s the quality like on the imx pro series? They said to expect restocking around February but until then it’s slim pickings and they may still not carry the GLX MBR. Exprides and Megabass are basically wiped out of any of the stores in my area.

That IMX Pro 803C seems a bit stiff for the possibility of jerkbaits but excellent for the primary lures I’m looking to throw the most (finesse jigs, shakyheads, spinnerbaits, maybe some flukes). I suppose I could always get a different rod for jerkbaits, since it seems tough to try and do everything with just one rod.

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:02 pm

Imo from loomis if its not glx up its not worth it. Many nicer rods at the imx price point like alx enox or poison adrena. I had a imx pro 853c and it was just ok to me not worth the price tag. I regret trading my alx zolo deputy for it. Only thing i dislike about the zolo is the exposed nut threads

Scud_Muffin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scud_Muffin » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:24 pm

bronzebacks wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:02 pm
Imo from loomis if its not glx up its not worth it. Many nicer rods at the imx price point like alx enox or poison adrena. I had a imx pro 853c and it was just ok to me not worth the price tag. I regret trading my alx zolo deputy for it. Only thing i dislike about the zolo is the exposed nut threads
I was having trouble finding reliable reviews on the imx pro. Out of 3 stores in my area that offer high end rods, it seems the JDM and GLX market is slim pickings. The store highly recommended the rod, so I figured I would follow up to see if the Imx Pro 803c JWR would be suitable for river jig fishing. Thanks!