medium vs medium light heavy kistler helium 3, or other option?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Nimitz
Angler
Angler

medium vs medium light heavy kistler helium 3, or other option?

Post by Nimitz » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:45 am

hey guys awesome forum I've lurked for years and finally decided I need ya'll's help. looking to add a 2nd bait caster to round out the heavy frog rod, and my spinning rig.

I own a bull bay rods 7'6 medium heavy fast spinning rod with a 2500 fuego w/ 10lb braid and use this for damn near everything, topwaters skitter v's whopper plopper 90/110's, bang o lures, etc, shallow jerk baits, throw light texas rigs, chatter baits basically all my moving baits on it , it's my "do all" rod. and up until a few weeks ago it was the only fishing rod I've owned for the last ten years, it's caught everything from peacock bass to tarpon and snook.

I also have a kistler helium 3 casting rod 7'3 heavy, mod action which i use for heavier jigs, frogs, small swim baits/glide baits etc.

I guess I'm looking for something similar to the bull bay MH that I own that I can throw my moving baits on the casting, currently looking at the LMH helium 3 and the medium helium 3, I live in south Florida, fish lot of ponds/canals and occasionally the bigger lakes. I'm cautious that the medium is going be too light for what I want to do. My budget is $300 and under and I'm open to other suggestions. I'll be pairing it with a tatula coastal sv tw with 12 lb mono or braid + mono leader.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: medium vs medium light heavy kistler helium 3, or other option?

Post by Cal » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:37 pm

Medium heavy or light medium heavy sounds about right for what you want to do. So many options in that $300 range.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Nimitz
Angler
Angler

Post by Nimitz » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:53 pm

Cal wrote:
Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:37 pm
Medium heavy or light medium heavy sounds about right for what you want to do. So many options in that $300 range.
well I went ahead and ordered a helium 3 medium light heavy.

and quickly am trying to cancel the order so I can order a zbone instead. damn the budget. :lol:

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:16 am

Nimitz wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:53 pm

and quickly am trying to cancel the order so I can order a zbone instead. damn the budget. :lol:
Welcome to TackleTour! =D> =D> =D> :D
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:01 am

The Light Medium Heavy is the way to go - the tip is still pretty light and you can chuck small stuff down to 1/8 and up to 1/2oz (though 1/2 is about the heaviest I'd want to go). I have thrown 3/4oz poppers on my LMH spinning rod and it works but it's not ideal.

Honestly I feel like the Zbone is best used as bottom contact/worms and Helium is better for moving baits and still works excellently for bottom contact/worms. The Zbone won't be much lighter. You're better off getting a second Helium. ;)

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:03 pm

Cal wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:16 am
Nimitz wrote:
Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:53 pm

Welcome to TackleTour! =D> =D> =D> :D
:laugh1: :laugh1: :laugh1: :welc:

Nimitz
Angler
Angler

Post by Nimitz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:43 pm

bwjay wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:01 am
The Light Medium Heavy is the way to go - the tip is still pretty light and you can chuck small stuff down to 1/8 and up to 1/2oz (though 1/2 is about the heaviest I'd want to go). I have thrown 3/4oz poppers on my LMH spinning rod and it works but it's not ideal.

Honestly I feel like the Zbone is best used as bottom contact/worms and Helium is better for moving baits and still works excellently for bottom contact/worms. The Zbone won't be much lighter. You're better off getting a second Helium. ;)
well the helium is on the way, just checked the kistler website and the 50% off a zbone is tempting as hell.

maybe i'll keep the lmh helium for treble baits/moving baits and get a MH z bone for worming/jigs ?

man 1 day off on the sale kind of boned me...oh well.

edit: ordered the 7'3 zbone LMH, most likely going to return the helium 3. $$270 for a helium 3 vs $330 for a zbone is too good to pass up.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:01 pm

Nimitz wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:43 pm
bwjay wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:01 am

well the helium is on the way, just checked the kistler website and the 50% off a zbone is tempting as hell.

maybe i'll keep the lmh helium for treble baits/moving baits and get a MH z bone for worming/jigs ?

man 1 day off on the sale kind of boned me...oh well.

edit: ordered the 7'3 zbone LMH, most likely going to return the helium 3. $$270 for a helium 3 vs $330 for a zbone is too good to pass up.
It's only 40% off (for $500), but it is a pretty good deal. You're making me think about one... but it's $245 for a Helium3 (30% off $150) which makes me think I should snag one of those instead. Hmm.

Nimitz
Angler
Angler

Post by Nimitz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:13 pm

bwjay wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:01 pm

It's only 40% off (for $500), but it is a pretty good deal. You're making me think about one... but it's $245 for a Helium3 (30% off $150) which makes me think I should snag one of those instead. Hmm.
yeah $330 for the x-ray blank seems like a no brainer from what I've been seeing...I'm pairing it with an tatula sv tw 103 8:1

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:58 pm

I have the zbone LEXF-3MH-70 and I gotta say your going to love it. I use mine for jerkbaits up to an ounce in weight, topwater & as a fluke rod. It has handled largemouth up to 8.75 so far without any problems. The tip is soft enough to keep treble bait hooked fish buttoned up without any problems. It is feather lite in hand. Very versatile rod.

Nimitz
Angler
Angler

Post by Nimitz » Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:01 pm

dhottle wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:58 pm
I have the zbone LEXF-3MH-70 and I gotta say your going to love it. I use mine for jerkbaits up to an ounce in weight, topwater & as a fluke rod. It has handled largemouth up to 8.75 so far without any problems. The tip is soft enough to keep treble bait hooked fish buttoned up without any problems. It is feather lite in hand. Very versatile rod.
nice I can't wait I'm pretty stoked, rod and reel should both be here by next fri, I see you're in SE florida, me too, broward county. I do lot of top water fishing, and just started to get a few jerk baits for peacocks.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:59 am

I own the HE3 7'3 H you have plus two z-bone heavy power rods from 2017 and 2019. My preference in Florida is to use the H rod for worms by default. I fish mostly out of a boat but find the longer H rod helpful for landing fish on the banks of small lakes and ponds.

For moving baits and topwaters, I think understanding the blank is most important. That said, I fish MH rods in crankbaits or slower action all purpose rods.