BFS = Dropshot Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

BFS = Dropshot Rods

Post by nfnband » Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:52 am

This may be an over simplification but it seems to me the US market already have BFS blanks all they need to do is lay them out for casting. I pretty much just need a casting version of the "Loomis" DSR 820 maybe 822 a light tip to fling small baits and absorb the strike with a backbone. If they feel like chopping off a half inch here or a half inch there to make it "different" have at it. But lets not pretend this is rocket science.
Last edited by nfnband on Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: BFS = Dropshot Rods

Post by Drakestar » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:33 am

Is there any controversy surrounding this statement? I guess people could argue that BFS, as a term, originated in Japan, and as such should be reserved for Japanese rods? But it's a weak argument.

Ultimately, a BFS rod is just a finesse casting rod. And as far as I'm aware (I'm not a blank or rod-building expert), you use exactly the same blanks for spinning and casting rods - the blank's spine is just on the other side of the rod.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:38 pm

Didnt Loomis do a drop shot bc rod in the past, and I believe Edge rods currently still do. Wou.d have thought others would have a similar rod in there line up. I have Dobyns 702C that does below 3g with my Conquest BFS. Perhaps the problem is, the manufacturers made them previously but at that time they didnt sell well enough to continue production. Do really know as I am in a diffirent market.

njbasscat
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by njbasscat » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:33 am

You can get a custom built to your exact specifications. There are also rods on the market that will work as well. One that comes to mind is a Phenix K2 med light. There are also plenty of MB BFS rods.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:27 am

If you go custom, whatever specs and action you want, it can be a casting rod.

I love BFS gear but, I found dropshotting to be best for spinning gear. The way you can balance the spinning rod in your hand is more sensitive for me. The casting is better too.

I do plan on trying BFS dropshotting again, as the last time I tried it was with a 12 Aldebaran BFS. That reel doesnt like awkaward cast like a dropshot or the wind very much.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:49 am

Older than those mentioned was the old Team Daiwa X drop shot casting rod.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Thu Dec 10, 2020 11:12 am

The stock Phenix K2 713 ML Casting is an awesome dropshot rod. Pair it with any BFS reel (I got an SV Light on it) and it's a joy to use; one-handed drop-shotting! (Can check your phone and still creep the worm along the bottom.) Of course you can get a custom rod built on that blank as well, as mentioned.

That said, any BFS reel is still going to be outperformed by a spinning setup around docks. I had a Clear Lake trip this year where I brought the NRX 822 on day 1 and the Phenix casting rod on day 2, and my inability to place the dropshot under various docks on day 2 (can't really skip a DS) was borderline comical, especially compared with day 1.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:04 pm

I use several light powered casting rods, none that are specifically categorized as BFS rods but all work great for DS to me.

Edge BWC DSR 710-1, MB Hein Carbonhead, MB C40 EVO Cliffhanger, MB Northwall Eiger but my favorite is the Edge BW.

nfnband
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by nfnband » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:20 pm

I am looking for a casting rod, not a drop shot, I have a 822S DSR spinner for that. I'm wondering if the tip is to stiff on the GLX 802C JWR. The rating is in line with the drop shot rod but line rating. Ideally 6'8"-6'10"

I'd go Japaneese BFS but no real to feel these rods before purchase.

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:32 pm

Have you looked into the new Megabass Bait Finesse rod? DESTROYER P5 (JDM) F3-610X Bait Finesse.