Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:15 pm

Casted a buddy's Met20 and I was not impressed as a Daiwa guy. To me I felt the bait being "pulled" down and baits didn't seem to sail like I was accustomed.

In fact, I tried his Curado 70mgl and like it more.

One thing I noticed on the Met20 was how narrow the spool was. One reason why I'm afraid to try the new Alphas.

I think the Daiwa 34mm platform is the best bass size spool. You don't loose a ton of diameter (ipt)on long cast. The ZPI 001 is great if you need to throw 17-20 pound.

Jbc88
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Jbc88 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:51 pm

LowRange wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:19 am
Just saw the vid. He says there is no different in casting distance between the SV Boost and SV spools. He also casts with the mag dial as low as 5 out of 20 on his reels and does a lot of lob casts and low energy casting while palming in the vids I have seen. I don't think I have ever seen him bomb cast an SV Daiwa. I wonder if he can even appreciate the SV Boost spool. Has anyone compared an SV Boost to a regular SV spool yet?
I also saw the video... i came to the conclusion where everyone cast differently and the way they cast can outcast someone's else cast. I was surprised when he said he couldnt see a difference in the spools. This sv boost spool outcast my zpi pg spool and every other spool i bought.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:18 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:15 pm
Casted a buddy's Met20 and I was not impressed as a Daiwa guy. To me I felt the bait being "pulled" down and baits didn't seem to sail like I was accustomed.

In fact, I tried his Curado 70mgl and like it more.

One thing I noticed on the Met20 was how narrow the spool was. One reason why I'm afraid to try the new Alphas.

I think the Daiwa 34mm platform is the best bass size spool. You don't loose a ton of diameter (ipt)on long cast. The ZPI 001 is great if you need to throw 17-20 pound.
I’m sure I’m as guilty as anybody but generic casting distance statements about reels are difficult to absorb at face value. There’s so many variables that have first order effects on casting distance.

Aerodynamically, there’s mass and cross sectional areas of line/lure. Among other things. Reel wise there’s spool mass moment of inertia, braking settings, etc.

Just assuming three different settings on five variables gives almost 250 different unique combinations that one reel could excel vs another.

Having said that, I’m a firm believer that the 20 Met has a wheelhouse where it excels like no other ‘off the shelf’ offering. Outside of those parameters, it can be beat.

Yes, the Met spool is very narrow and makes for some interesting behavior.

Back to the zillion, I spent some more time with it today throwing 12 pound tatsu and baits in the 1/8 - 1/4 ounce range. Long story short, I’m waiting on the bfs spool.
Last edited by CFDoc on Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KooyaKey
Angler
Angler

Post by KooyaKey » Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:31 pm

y2k88 wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:14 am
Does anyone know if the black plastic cover at the bottom/side of the main frame is meant to allow greasing the main gear? And meant to be able to be opened without opening the whole reel up?

Is there a trick to opening the plastic cover, And getting the black piece back in, without feeling like you're doing something really wrong...?
Apparently it's just a drain hole? Can't pry it open.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:13 pm

Finally got to take the boat out this morning and put a lot more hours on the reel. I’m more convinced now that Daiwa really has something special here.

So when I ordered this zillion, I ordered a Steez ct as well with the intentions of probably keeping the Steez and selling the zillion.

Well, I’m now doing the opposite. I’m not here to review the Steez but the tiny handle and a few other things coupled with the fact that this zillion is just as smooth (if not smoother) and will more than likely have a brass gear and bfs spool swap option; I’ve lost any desire to keep the Steez.

Also, I don’t want to say I was a Daiwa hater, but my stereotypical response to Daiwa the past 10-15 years has been they are mechanically fine but ugly, bulky, and over hyped for what you get. I’ll gladly eat my crow with this new zillion. Well done Daiwa.

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:58 am

CFDoc wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:07 pm
Yes everything I’ve tried so far has been 12, 15, and 20 lb tatsu. Will try braid next. I would still be very surprised if the zillion could match the Met on the lighter end of the spectrum.

I had a good call with Dan Isaac the other day about getting the most out of my Mets. He had a good explanation of what happens when the line thickness gets big and ‘chokes’ the conical shaped line guide.
I have a feeling the Met's conical guide being unnecessarily close to the spool is the biggest cause of that.

I bet ~50% of the TWing's benefit is due to it being relatively far away from the spool during casts.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:51 am

IlliniDawg01 wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:58 am
CFDoc wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:07 pm
Yes everything I’ve tried so far has been 12, 15, and 20 lb tatsu. Will try braid next. I would still be very surprised if the zillion could match the Met on the lighter end of the spectrum.

I had a good call with Dan Isaac the other day about getting the most out of my Mets. He had a good explanation of what happens when the line thickness gets big and ‘chokes’ the conical shaped line guide.
I have a feeling the Met's conical guide being unnecessarily close to the spool is the biggest cause of that.

I bet ~50% of the TWing's benefit is due to it being relatively far away from the spool during casts.
I have the new zillion and the newest met. I have KTF aftermarket spools for both (and a lot of other spools for the zillion).
I like both out of the box but I enjoy the zillion most. I find that the zillion more than matches the met on lighter end of the spectrum. The met does ok with light lures, but not great - in my hands at least.
I love shimanos baitcast design and looks but I am getting tired of shimanos differing spool sizes and braking systems.
Line guide design differences are of little importance to me.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:11 am

Dalleinf wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:51 am
The met does ok with light lures, but not great - in my hands at least.
Im not doing a good job with specifics as to why my Mets are very good with light lures. I’m unfamiliar with the KTF spool as well.

Anyways, if you tried light baits with the USDM stock spool, I agree, it’s pretty awful. The JDM stock spool is about 40% shallower and was a different animal altogether with lighter setups.

I could also go into more detail on how I set it up but this is a zillion thread. Long story short, my light bait Mets are launching small cranks, weightless yum dingers, and Ned rigs noticeably further than anything else I own.
Dalleinf wrote: I love shimanos baitcast design and looks but I am getting tired of shimanos differing spool sizes and braking systems.
Line guide design differences are of little importance to me.
Agreed. Shimano can be exhausting at times. It’s another reason why I’m so impressed with this zillion. Any idiot can find the sweet spot for this reel.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:23 am

CFDoc wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:43 pm
Got mine today from Japan Tackle. I can 100% confirm Japan Tackle is selling the Made in Japan aluminum gear version.

Didn’t get to take it out. Work kept me in today.

First impressions are the handle knobs are way too small. Hopefully the USDM version comes with larger knobs like Shimano did for the Met B.

I hacked together a solution for now with a Lews handle. Here’s a couple pics that show just how small the knobs are.

This handle do anything for you? It has similar style knobs but much bigger on a 106mm carbon fiber handle.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210201-102042_Chrome_copy_720x1103.jpg
Screenshot_20210201-102042_Chrome_copy_720x1103.jpg (45.21 KiB) Viewed 5225 times

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:15 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:23 am

This handle do anything for you? It has similar style knobs but much bigger on a 106mm carbon fiber handle.
That's an interesting option for sure. For $12 I may order one just to see how it looks.

Right now, I actually really like how the Lews handle feels. Just not the looks.

I'm working on altering a Shimano Curado K XG 95mm handle at the moment.

I've got two more Zillions on the way from Japan so I'm going to be knee deep in handle solutions sooner rather than later.

Update - The Shimano oversized knobs are a direct fit to the Daiwa handle spindles. However, I still would like a 95mm handle so I’m going to be on my floor drill press tonight with some end mills to see what I can manufacture out of a curado XG handle. Also, the darker aluminum of the curado handle looks amazing on this new zillion.

A few pics. Check out how small the zillion handle/knobs are compared to the curado.

And here’s the curado knobs on the zillion handle. I’m digging the black end caps over the plastic chrome look.

Update #2 - Here she is. After end milling the curado handle space to 5.5mm, I’ve got the curado K 95 mm handle on the zillion. After getting the handle from shimano I realized it didn’t come with the cover for the hex nut. So I had to improvise with a, you guessed it, Lews cover lol.

poker_lamina
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by poker_lamina » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:58 pm

https://www.thehookuptackle.com/fishing ... W+1000+JDM

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_p ... s_id=16365

THUT says that the USDM zillion handle is going to be 100 mm while TTT and TW says 90 mm handle. I don't know who to believe.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:52 am

I know this board isn't always a fan of other gear testers but reel test on YT just posted his results from casting distances of the Zillion vs 20 Met.

I'd say his results are pretty much exactly what I was seeing. Light baits the Met just soars beyond anything I could get out of the Zillion. The Met just effortlessly gets 15-20 more feet. As the weight goes up, it gets much closer, if not dead even.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:44 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:52 am
I know this board isn't always a fan of other gear testers but reel test on YT just posted his results from casting distances of the Zillion vs 20 Met.

I'd say his results are pretty much exactly what I was seeing. Light baits the Met just soars beyond anything I could get out of the Zillion. The Met just effortlessly gets 15-20 more feet. As the weight goes up, it gets much closer, if not dead even.
That specific tester threatened me over a mild comment I made, I do watch his stuff, but he seems VERY biased. I know 14ft is not a big deal when you spend all day on the water and ease of use and versatility comes in to play. He's always talking about "triggered fanboys" and all it takes it one religious comment and he threatens to block people. Again, very informative and good channel, just some things there are over blown. I mean we know by now if you have ANY education that centrifugal brakes can cast further and magnetics offer more control and ease of use. That is literally EVER video, Daiwa sucks cause Shimano casts a few feet more, that is the entire channel for the most part.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:11 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:44 pm
CFDoc wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:52 am

That specific tester threatened me over a mild comment I made, I do watch his stuff, but he seems VERY biased. I know 14ft is not a big deal when you spend all day on the water and ease of use and versatility comes in to play. He's always talking about "triggered fanboys" and all it takes it one religious comment and he threatens to block people. Again, very informative and good channel, just some things there are over blown. I mean we know by now if you have ANY education that centrifugal brakes can cast further and magnetics offer more control and ease of use. That is literally EVER video, Daiwa sucks cause Shimano casts a few feet more, that is the entire channel for the most part.
It's Bootytrain. He's a former member and huge Shimano fan boy. He used to get triggered all the time on here an BR so he created his own YT channel. He uses some of his own reels like his engetsu and claims a subscriber sent it to him. He does do budget BFS stuff and aliexpress parts which is good content. I enjoy that.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:35 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:44 pm

I’m pretty new to fishing forums and YT channels in general, so I’m unaware of the history with most of these folks. Regardless, I don’t find it difficult to digest someone’s opinion/information and separate out useful facts from overblown drivel.

Reel test has some useful information in his videos so I watch the ones that seem interesting to me. I have no YT account and don’t really read comments so I will trust you that’s he’s a d-bag to the viewers. The Bible verses in the beginning are more than enough convincing to me that you are probably telling the truth.

Regarding the casting differences, for me, I think it’s a significant advantage for the Shimano in certain applications. Also I’d stress that the extra distance with the shimano is just effortless. At least with the Met vs the Zillion. It’s just a flick of the wrist with Met. Compared to it feeling more like actual work with the zillion.

You can trust my opinion. I’m a Lews fan. Lol