Zillion sv TW 1000

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
freelancer27
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Zillion sv TW 1000

Post by freelancer27 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:04 am

LowRange wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:16 pm
SSS wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:47 pm
If i were to get the JDM model, is the brass gear upgrade even worth it? If the aluminum gears are as smooth as everyone is saying, then what's the point of increasing your reel's weight by an additional 0.4oz? Durability might be a reason, but if the steez sv tw gears have held perfectly fine for years, i don't see how these improved gear sets would have any issues.
I've not heard people rave about the Steez TW SV as a particularly smooth and solid feeling reel. I hear that talk from the TD Zillions, Bantam MGL and 19 Morethan but don't not the Steez. I've also heard the phrase "its not Antares smooth" when describing the smoothness of the reel. I've also heard of a guys replacing Steez A gears because they got geary feeling from just throwing chatterbaits. They seem to hold up great but I would want Bantam MGL smooth out of a Zillion and for it to stay that way. Not sure if the Daiwa aluminum gears have that track record.
I can absolutely NOT confirm that the Steez SV TW is not smooth or solid. It is amongst the smoothest reels that I have (with my Morethans, 2019 Antares and Steez SV CT). I have had more issues with my high end Shimanos in this regard (Calcutta Conquest, 2016 Metanium, Antares DC MD).

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:20 am

freelancer27 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:04 am
LowRange wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:16 pm
SSS wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:47 pm
If i were to get the JDM model, is the brass gear upgrade even worth it? If the aluminum gears are as smooth as everyone is saying, then what's the point of increasing your reel's weight by an additional 0.4oz? Durability might be a reason, but if the steez sv tw gears have held perfectly fine for years, i don't see how these improved gear sets would have any issues.
I've not heard people rave about the Steez TW SV as a particularly smooth and solid feeling reel. I hear that talk from the TD Zillions, Bantam MGL and 19 Morethan but don't not the Steez. I've also heard the phrase "its not Antares smooth" when describing the smoothness of the reel. I've also heard of a guys replacing Steez A gears because they got geary feeling from just throwing chatterbaits. They seem to hold up great but I would want Bantam MGL smooth out of a Zillion and for it to stay that way. Not sure if the Daiwa aluminum gears have that track record.
I can absolutely NOT confirm that the Steez SV TW is not smooth or solid. It is amongst the smoothest reels that I have (with my Morethans, 2019 Antares and Steez SV CT). I have had more issues with my high end Shimanos in this regard (Calcutta Conquest, 2016 Metanium, Antares DC MD).
I also wouldn't agree that the Steez SV tw is not smooth, and i've only heard one person saying that they aren't. The og steez, yes, but not the sv tv. Never heard of anyone replacing their gears because they're worn either. Shimano metanium on the other hand OOF

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:14 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:01 am
joekaz wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:55 am
I must be super hard on my reels because even my Bantam MGL and Curado 71 MGL gears have a slight buzz to them.
One of my Mets got a little buzzy after its first year of usage on all kinds of different baits.

I sent it off to Dan Isaac and he said it wasn't the gear. It was ball bearing PN# BNT3927. He said a very common issue. All my Mets came back perfect after he replaced that part.

You might want to look into that being the issue. I would be very surprised if your Bantam's were already worn out gear-wise.
I just installed a new bearing and nothing changed. It feels like the gears to me. After comparing the smoothness of the Steez A to the Bantam, the Bantam feels rougher. I shouldn't single out the Steez A because I can't keep any of my modern reels smooth. My smoothest reels I own are the lower gear ratio O.G. Zillions. Every year I catch between 1,000 to 1,700 bass and most are caught on a bladed jig using braided line. I make a ton of casts and I am pretty aggressive with reeling in the fish. I think all this wear and tear kills the gears. I am hoping the new US Zillion gears holds up over time.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:31 pm

joekaz wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:14 pm

I just installed a new bearing and nothing changed. It feels like the gears to me. After comparing the smoothness of the Steez A to the Bantam, the Bantam feels rougher. I shouldn't single out the Steez A because I can't keep any of my modern reels smooth. My smoothest reels I own are the lower gear ratio O.G. Zillions. Every year I catch between 1,000 to 1,700 bass and most are caught on a bladed jig using braided line. I make a ton of casts and I am pretty aggressive with reeling in the fish. I think all this wear and tear kills the gears. I am hoping the new US Zillion gears holds up over time.
Got an accelerometer by any chance? :lol: I kid.

I live on a stocked 500+ acre lake and probably do some effort of fishing 2-3 times per week minimum. I estimated between 200 - 300 fish (bass + catfish + trout + reds) caught on that Metanium I sent to Dan Isaac in the year I used it. So still well below what you're doing.

It very well could be the gears. And if you're buzzing brass gears every year, I'm actually impressed. That's a ton of fishing! You need tungsten gears :lol:

trevor60
Angler
Angler

Post by trevor60 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:25 pm

This is a very tempting reel.
I know it’s early but does anyone think that the zillion brass gears will fit in there morethan PE 2019.
Thanks Trevor

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:03 pm

I've found on my sv103 the 7.9 gears seem to wear out the fastest. I got some 7.3 from Japan and they are the best in terms of speed and durability.

I have moved to leaving the drag just above lockdown to wear if it's a really big fish or a thick mat I can feel the drag slip. This saves the gears and also lets me know when it's a healthy fish. Nothing under 5 has ever made it slip and if I need a little extra love I use my thumb to support the spool.

I've got the Boost spool loaded up with 15 lb floral and I'm headed to the lake.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:29 pm

I've found on my sv103 the 7.9 gears seem to wear out the fastest. I got some 7.3 from Japan and they are the best in terms of speed and durability.

I have moved to leaving the drag just above lockdown to wear if it's a really big fish or a thick mat I can feel the drag slip. This saves the gears and also lets me know when it's a healthy fish. Nothing under 5 has ever made it slip and if I need a little extra love I use my thumb to support the spool.

I've got the Boost spool loaded up with 15 lb floral and I'm headed to the lake.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:41 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:31 pm
joekaz wrote:

I live on a stocked 500+ acre lake and probably do some effort of fishing 2-3 times per week minimum. I estimated between 200 - 300 fish (bass + catfish + trout + reds) caught on that Metanium I sent to Dan Isaac in the year I used it. So still well below what you're doing.

It very well could be the gears. And if you're buzzing brass gears every year, I'm actually impressed. That's a ton of fishing! You need tungsten gears :lol:
Tungsten gears might be the ticket. If not. maybe titanium. I sometimes have a bad habit of using the reel to fight the fish instead of using the rod and then reeling in the slack. Ok, I admit it. I am very bad to my beloved reels.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:05 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:29 pm

Same. My IP79 is not as smooth as my IP68.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:43 pm

joekaz wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:41 pm
CFDoc wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:31 pm
joekaz wrote:

Tungsten gears might be the ticket. If not. maybe titanium. I sometimes have a bad habit of using the reel to fight the fish instead of using the rod and then reeling in the slack. Ok, I admit it. I am very bad to my beloved reels.
I don't think you'd want tungsten gears based on the weight. You want something that is very hard while being light.

CFDoc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CFDoc » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:54 pm

The zillion got a good test today. Had a work call end early, decided to go out and fish a little bit. ‘Ol Nadene was sitting under a dock pylon getting her bed ready. Skipped a jig under there and the zillion horsed her out beautifully.

The reel does not feel geary or buzzy after the catch :lol:

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:01 pm

CFDoc wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:54 pm
The zillion got a good test today. Had a work call end early, decided to go out and fish a little bit. ‘Ol Nadene was sitting under a dock pylon getting her bed ready. Skipped a jig under there and the zillion horsed her out beautifully.

The reel does not feel geary or buzzy after the catch :lol:

You might need a new measuring stick 😉

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:18 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:48 am
Mang wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:12 pm
Anybody got one pair with the silver tatula rods? Wanna see how well those pair up.
You’ll see in a week, Good Lord willin’ and the creek don’t rise!
Just unwrapped mine, a couple of drops of earl on the bearings and some grease on the worm gear. Looking forward to Wednesday

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:12 pm

I put Megabass cork knobs on the handles. It looks and feels a lot better. I was surprised I had to use a couple of shims though.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:33 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:12 pm
I put Megabass cork knobs on the handles. It looks and feels a lot better. I was surprised I had to use a couple of shims though.
My one set of Megabass knobs needed shims also. I don't usually use them with RCS/SLPW knobs.