Kistler rods?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Kistler rods?

Post by Drakestar » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:28 pm

I think we might just be overly paranoid or conspiracy-minded. This is a highend enthusiast forum; based on my experience, these are some of the most opinionated and excitable corners of the internet :)

If models aren't getting restocked it might point to COVID supply chain issues that the entire industry is experiencing. A big sale to start off refreshed product lines might just be a way to get Kistler rods into people's hands and to create word of mouth on how good the rods are.

Or it's actually true. I'm not saying it impossible, but I think that it's unlikely.

Bronzeye
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bronzeye » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:13 pm

The image of the 50% off sale presented here says "While supplies last" with no other expiration date. Doesn't that mean Kistler is selling its stock of all the rods shown at 50% off (when you buy 10 at a time) until they are gone?

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:21 pm

I don't see how it's a big sale unless you plan on buying 10rods at a time which seems a little excessive even for this corner of the internet

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:45 pm

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:28 pm
I think we might just be overly paranoid or conspiracy-minded. This is a highend enthusiast forum; based on my experience, these are some of the most opinionated and excitable corners of the internet :)

If models aren't getting restocked it might point to COVID supply chain issues that the entire industry is experiencing. A big sale to start off refreshed product lines might just be a way to get Kistler rods into people's hands and to create word of mouth on how good the rods are.

Or it's actually true. I'm not saying it impossible, but I think that it's unlikely.
Not trying to conspire negative thoughts, but as soon as the new rods hit the net, huge discounts (45%) for purchases over a certain $$ amount. All the spinning Z Bones were instantly sold out and shortly after, the Heliums. I guess it makes sense to get them in people’s hands, but at what impression when the average price for the sale Z Bones was $300.... It makes it very difficult to swallow $550 retail going forward. I wish all the best for the company and hopefully this is just a refresh/introduction using the new blanks and components. Obviously, many folks really like the brand.

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:31 pm

I didn't mean to infer anything about their sales volume.

I was simply laughing at the spend X get X off. Buy 10 rods get 50% off.

Now I love fishing equipment. I have never purchased more than 2 rods at once. Buy 10 new rods sight unseen is pretty crazy.

All this said, nothing but positive post on FB. Tons of folks are very happy with the rods and reels. So often I forget we are a drop in the bucket.

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:56 pm

I think it is difficult to read too much into this introduction. Does anyone know how many rods were "in stock"? Could be thousands of every model it could be ten. It might be a huge success or just a marketing ploy. If it was more of a marketing ploy it has some of us talking so I guess it worked to some degree.

Based on Kistlers history of having big sales (30% +) I couldn't imagine paying full price anytime soon. I'm interested to hear reviews, especially on what makes these different from some of the other Toray blanks now on the market. I'm not overly excited, but that is probably because I'm a bit disgruntled due to the fact I really like the NFC X-Ray blank. Time will tell.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:41 pm

Well considering his factory is essentially a house attached to a metal building I doubt the inventory is kept very high. There's people satisfied with kastking on Facebook too :mrgreen: but more power to them. I find it quite ironic that you can buy a helium built on a nfc blank from tackle warehouse cheaper than a helium built by kistler in 2021.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:27 am

On top of all this the new kistler facebook ad reminds me of vexan rods...get to flexan with a vexan :mrgreen:

ftl1951
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ftl1951 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:08 am

Restock underway...

mobass11652
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mobass11652 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:04 am

Point blank possibly as new supplier? They are the first one to come to mind as a top tier blank to outperform X-ray and they cost more as well.

Texas_bullet
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Texas_bullet » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:33 am

Just read the review on the new Helium ML. I have a Kistler salt-water popping rod I ordered from Trey at a fishing show at least 20 years ago. It is rated Medium power and probably Slow. This versatile rod has survived many trips and only has a paint rub to show for it. I think I paid $125 for it. Talk about value! If I could only have one rod.....
Lately I have paid a small fortune for an NRX and a Shimano Expride rod. Doubt they will give me more satisfaction.
Tight lines!

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:25 pm

I ordered a 2021 Helium 703 LMH spinning during Kistler's "Xmas in July" sale. At 33% off ($270 instead of $400) I figured it might be a nice high-end rod for my non-enthusiast family, who are usually fishing a collection of Powell Infernos. I was also interested in comparing this rod to my 2020 Zbone 733 LMH (built on the Xray blank), which I love. Since Kistler is now using the same blank for both the Helium and the Zbone ("KISTLER KC9 100% Japanese Carbon by Toray-Extreme High Modulus"), I figure that it's fair to compare this Helium to the old Zbone; sure, upgraded Zbone components like the reel seat and guide train contribute to the overall sensitivity, but the blank does an overwhelming part of the work.

The blank is definitely a high-end blank with great sensitivity. Hard to objectively judge and write about, but it's definitely on a GLX level. Maybe a bit better, but not as good as an NRX, K2, Steez AGS or Xray. I've been using braid-to-leader in clear-water reservoirs with lots of rocks to fish a 3" Dark Sleeper (which is softer than a lead or tungsten head, of course), but still felt every rock I hit, when my bait got fouled up with twigs etc.

Overall, the power of this LMH rod feels heavier than my Xray LMH Zbone. The tip feels stronger and isn't anywhere as electric as the Xray one. The taper is listed as "Fast" on the Kistler website, but that doesn't ring true to me at all! The rod bends deeeeep into the blank and it feels like it almost has no flex in the tip. Because of that, and even though the rod itself feels plenty sensitive, I find it deader than the Xray Zbone, everything is more muted. This also affects bite detection - while bottom contact is transmitted very well, I haven't felt bites well yet! I've fished this rod for about 4 hours, caught two fish (a 3.5lbs largemouth and a 3lbs smallie), and I think I missed one fish. Both fish that I caught had inhaled my little Dark Sleeper rather well and that might have been part of the problem. But I still expect a telltale tick when the inhale happens, and I didn't feel it - the line just started feeling heavy after a small bump, and I set the hook instinctively. This was worrying to me, I'll have to try it some more... but the idea that sensitivity doesn't equal good bite detection isn't new.

Rod build is typical barebones Kistler. I was surprised (and disappointed) that on my rod, I didn't see any winding checks that were shown in the TT review. The cork meets the blank in a unfinished-looking way. Rod balances 2 inches above the reel seat knot and the rod is tip heavy (using a ABU MGX30, which weighs ~6.5oz).

Hawk82
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Hawk82 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:54 am

Does anyone have a Z-bone comparison of the NFC X-Ray to the new 2021 blank. I have a 2019 ML spinning and a 2021, but haven’t fished the 2021. Any thoughts out there?

I have 8 Kistler rods. This they are fantastic. I never have used my 2021 Heliums though so may sell them. Have 2 spinning in the 2 and 3 power and a casting that I was going to use for pike and Muskie. It’s a 6 power XH.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:05 pm

Hawk82 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:54 am
Does anyone have a Z-bone comparison of the NFC X-Ray to the new 2021 blank. I have a 2019 ML spinning and a 2021, but haven’t fished the 2021. Any thoughts out there?

I have 8 Kistler rods. This they are fantastic. I never have used my 2021 Heliums though so may sell them. Have 2 spinning in the 2 and 3 power and a casting that I was going to use for pike and Muskie. It’s a 6 power XH.
There are a bunch of comparisons earlier in this thread if you agree that the new Helium blank is the same as the new Zbone blank (which is seems to be, both are listed as " KISTLER KC9 100% Japanese Carbon by Toray-Extreme High Modulus"). I haven't fished that Helium a ton after writing up my thoughts. I take it whenever a family member is around and I don't mind using it myself then, but it's not a rod that I ever want to take when I'm going out on my own.

(I do still take my 2020 Xray Zbone all the time, though.)

Hawk82
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Hawk82 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:42 pm

Ok, thanks for the feedback. I did see the responses earlier in the thread but nobody had fished the same action and line of rod in the two different years (2019 & 2021). I have both in the ML Spinning version and debating on selling the X-Ray. I won’t be able to fish the new one until Spring to compare.