Project T 22: 2 new Tatulas

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Project T 22 #6: another Tatula

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:53 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:45 am
Laughed pretty good at the reject Tatula parts line... I have always wondered if they use molds or spool designs from previous reels, like the current JDM Alphas SVTW and find a way to add a longer shaft (remove free floating spool) and cheapen the aluminum. I know a ton of people don't like them but cookie cutter parts that interchange help production cost a ton.
I want to try some new reels but, the Alphas SV TW is so nice for the money. Looking for a jig reel and possibly a topwater/shallow crank reel too. I tend to lean toward new offerings for videos/reviews but, sometimes getting what you know is nice.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:00 am

Tatula TW 80 now available in Aliexpress stores and plat.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:54 am

Nice. Same going rate as the Elite but it's a new release so maybe the price will drop. Same site sells regular 100s for $120. I'm really curious to see how the 80 casts compared to the Elite. My Elite spool just appears to be a lightweight Tatula spool but it makes the casting super effortless and it skips well. Also hoping the 80 gets alphas gears. Tatulas aren't exactly smooth reels. If the 80 can get Elite like effortless casting and skipping with near Alphas/Zillion smoothness in a compact 6.5 oz reel then I'm sold.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:35 am

I'm suddenly feeling the urge to FOMO into one of these at $174. What if the US version is $230? Remember when the Alphas SV was going to $185 all day long in 2015 and then Daiwa released the USDM reel for like $80 more but called it an SV105? Prices shot up overnight on the Alpahs SV. I watched them go from $185 to $220 in a day just because of the US version being released for so much more.

There is also a history of these companies looking at the US market as a bunch of people with more money then sense and selling the same reel in the US but worse for more. I'm getting Alphas SV vibes off this one.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:55 pm

I'm sure someone mentioned it already, but the inward hex screws look so much better than the old style. Was looking at my Zillion TWS and SVTW earlier and realized how awful that one front screw spot is, along with the wide open exposed brake dial.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:05 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:55 pm
I'm sure someone mentioned it already, but the inward hex screws look so much better than the old style. Was looking at my Zillion TWS and SVTW earlier and realized how awful that one front screw spot is, along with the wide open exposed brake dial.
I dont mind. I like the color dials on the old Tatula platform and having the screws exposed means you can add color screws. Silver screws does look weird on a matte finish reel though. Hidden or black screws is best then. On a shiny reel with silver accents then exposed silver screws doesn't look too bad. I'll be getting a Tatula 100 and those silver screws are going to bother be a bit. I'll have to track down cheap black ones. I'm making a "classy" tat out my old Type R for my gen 1 Zodias and a Steez esque "racing" tat for a 100 I haven't bought yet for a Jackall BPM.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:38 pm

LowRange wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:05 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
I dont mind. I like the color dials on the old Tatula platform and having the screws exposed means you can add color screws. Silver screws does look weird on a matte finish reel though. Hidden or black screws is best then. On a shiny reel with silver accents then exposed silver screws doesn't look too bad. I'll be getting a Tatula 100 and those silver screws are going to bother be a bit. I'll have to track down cheap black ones. I'm making a "classy" tat out my old Type R for my gen 1 Zodias and a Steez esque "racing" tat for a 100 I haven't bought yet for a Jackall BPM.
I've seen your type R picture a few times, makes me want to order the plate/nut/handle to build the same. That chrome plastic piece was a bad choice...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:17 pm

DirtyD64 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:38 pm
LowRange wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:05 pm
DirtyD64 wrote:
I've seen your type R picture a few times, makes me want to order the plate/nut/handle to build the same. That chrome plastic piece was a bad choice...
That was the 1st thing to go on all my Tatulas. Oddly the HD Custom came with a nice lock plate, bolt and an aluminum drag star. My new 100 I havent gotten yet is getting the Aliexpress RCS look alike carbon handle treatment.

daiwafan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwafan » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:59 am

The latest issue of Bassmaster Magazine has an add for the New Tatula 70 SV in it. There are no details given, just a picture, and there is a QR code that says learn more about the Tatula 70 SV but it goes to a six month old video with Brent Ehrler talking about SV technology in general.

This new reel along with the 80 will likely be introduced at the Classic next week.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:29 am

It definitely not a super free reel. Looks like they made a long shaft variant of the Alphas but 32mm. Sort of like how the Zillion TW SV came out shortly before the Tatula CT which ended up being a long shaft version of that reel. There was a pretty large difference in smoothness and refinement between the Tatula CT and Zillion TW SV. Let's hope this new Tatula 80 and 70SV are Alphas like or even share the same gears or have compatible gears. [-o<

Spool looks a little heavy as in the thickness of the material is a bit thick and appears to be on par with the current Tatula spool. We'll see how it performs but I like the Tatula braking profile but in a lightweight spool like the Elite Long Cast. It makes for an effortless caster where as the regular Tatula spool takes some effort to get it to send baits our there. This thing is going to compete with the Curado 150 MGL which is a great distance caster. I would hope Daiwa would being their spool A game. If not Boost tech then the Elite's A7075 spool material.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:22 am

daiwafan wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:59 am
The latest issue of Bassmaster Magazine has an add for the New Tatula 70 SV in it. There are no details given, just a picture, and there is a QR code that says learn more about the Tatula 70 SV but it goes to a six month old video with Brent Ehrler talking about SV technology in general.

This new reel along with the 80 will likely be introduced at the Classic next week.
That 70 SV may be my next pickup. Should fit the bill for pitching plastics and such.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Loafer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loafer » Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:30 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:54 am
Nice. Same going rate as the Elite but it's a new release so maybe the price will drop. Same site sells regular 100s for $120.
Hello!
Digitaka set the price for this reel: 18,900 JPY or 164.96 USD

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:07 pm

Daiwa put out teaser vid titled "The future is coming. Are you ready? 03/04/2022" on their Facebook page. Just shows a dude in a tux, a briefcase, handcuffs, and a helicopter.
Last edited by joekaz on Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:35 pm

Loafer wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 11:30 am
LowRange wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:54 am
Nice. Same going rate as the Elite but it's a new release so maybe the price will drop. Same site sells regular 100s for $120.
Hello!
Digitaka set the price for this reel: 18,900 JPY or 164.96 USD
Best price so far

IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 8:01 pm

joekaz wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:07 pm
Daiwa put out teaser vid titled "The future is coming. Are you ready? 03/04/2022" on their Facebook page. Just shows a dude in a tux, a briefcase, handcuffs, and a helicopter.
Interesting...