High end football jig rod recommendation

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
The Pond King
Angler
Angler

High end football jig rod recommendation

Post by The Pond King » Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:48 am

Hey guys, I’m looking for a dedicated 3/4oz to 1oz football jig rod. I will be using this rod to cast long distances and drag football jigs in various water depths. Now, I do have a GLX 844C MBR, Dobyns Champion Extreme 745HP, and even a GLX 954 FPR. I find that the 844C and DX 745 are fantastic rods. However, I feel like they are slightly underpowered for 3/4oz and 1oz football jigs, in my opinion, but they can get the job done without any problems. For instance, the DX 745 isn’t as powerful as you are led on to believe from reading the specs. As for the GLX 954 FPR, I’m aware that it wasn’t designed for dragging footballs but have tried fishing football jigs with it, anyways, and it’s a tip heavy pool cue, so I can’t fish with it comfortably all day. It’s simply just too powerful and too long.

Anyways, I’m looking for a rod that is between 7’ – 7’ 6” that can handle 3/4oz football jigs and the occasional 1oz. I’m looking for a rod that is perhaps a half power stronger than DX 745 but don’t want a pool cue.

The GLX 855 JWR has piqued my interest, but there are not many reviews on this rod. Anyways, I don’t want to be one track minded and be able to make the best choice. As you know, reading specs isn’t always reliable as each manufacturer has their own ratings, so I need your guys’ help from your guys’ experience. I’m looking for a rod with enough power to be capable of handling heavy football jigs that are dragging across bottom but can also effectively deflect the jigs off of rocks while simultaneously not being a broomstick. In addition, I’d like this rod to be super sensitive to detect what my jig is making contact with on the bottom and to easily distinguish it from a fish bite.

Which rod would you recommend for a high end 3/4oz and 1oz football jig?

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: High end football jig rod recommendation

Post by Cal » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:15 pm

The Pond King wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:48 am

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewevergre ... krose.html
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

The Pond King
Angler
Angler

Post by The Pond King » Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:47 pm

Cal wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 12:15 pm
The Pond King wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:48 am

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewevergre ... krose.html
OMG.. this rod looks amazing! Something I didn't even know about or consider. Glad I asked. Thanks Cal!

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:02 pm

Not as "high end" as Cal's recommendation, but iRod Air 754.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:15 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:02 pm
:lol: :lol: ... well, when he underlines the word, I had to go there ;)
Cal, Managing Editor

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:47 pm

MB Destroyer Bunker Buster would have been my recommendation if you can find one. I throw 3/4oz swim jigs on it (to rip them through heavy grass), and it also does bottom contact very well.

I own a GLX855 that I've used for the same job (i.e. dragging 3/4oz Comeback Jigs) and it does it well. The Bunker Buster has a livelier tip in my opinion.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:17 pm

Orion shall be my next rod purchase. Different model, power finesse-ish, can't decide which one being the specs on these models are all over the place. Definitely some of the cleanest most stealthy rods I've seen.

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:31 pm

Cal wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:15 pm
Finnz922 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:02 pm
:lol: :lol: ... well, when he underlines the word, I had to go there ;)
:lol:

The Pond King
Angler
Angler

Post by The Pond King » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:43 pm

@Cal, I prefer cork handles, but the EVA grip on the Orion Black Rose isn't a deal breaker. However, I wanted to ask how does the EVA grip feel on it? Is it spongy or dense? Is it smooth or gritty? etc. How would you describe what it feels like, if you can recall.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:17 pm

Another rod I would highly recommend looking into, is the latest generation Poison Glorious. These blanks are incredibly light, crisp, and sensitive - rolled with M40X. Not sure which model would fit best, as I only fish medium plus and lighter rod models. The only other rods I have that I would compare the Glorious with are the original Megabass X7, and some custom Phenix K2's. If you want to spend a little less, the 2020 Olympic Graphiteleader Vigore could definitely work.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:01 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:17 pm
Another rod I would highly recommend looking into, is the latest generation Poison Glorious. These blanks are incredibly light, crisp, and sensitive - rolled with M40X. Not sure which model would fit best, as I only fish medium plus and lighter rod models. The only other rods I have that I would compare the Glorious with are the original Megabass X7, and some custom Phenix K2's. If you want to spend a little less, the 2020 Olympic Graphiteleader Vigore could definitely work.
Would you be able to compare the new PG and Vigore in any way? I own a few Vigore and looking to get a few PG and just try to set my expectations right

jwfflipper14
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jwfflipper14 » Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:08 pm

I got to use my Steez Bottom Contact rod and WOW!! The sensitivity is unbelievable, light great feel!! I'll be getting another one!!
RiverValleyCrankbaits
Picasso
K-9 Flourocarbon

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:28 am

jwfflipper14 wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:08 pm
I got to use my Steez Bottom Contact rod and WOW!! The sensitivity is unbelievable, light great feel!! I'll be getting another one!!
Agreed. This new Steez AGS Bottom Contact II is amazing. It is my go to football jig rod @ 3/4 oz and deeper water.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Cal » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:26 am

The Pond King wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:43 pm
@Cal, I prefer cork handles, but the EVA grip on the Orion Black Rose isn't a deal breaker. However, I wanted to ask how does the EVA grip feel on it? Is it spongy or dense? Is it smooth or gritty? etc. How would you describe what it feels like, if you can recall.
smooth and dense
Cal, Managing Editor

City17Banner
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by City17Banner » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:54 am

Cal wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:26 am
The Pond King wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:43 pm
smooth and dense
I used to be biased against EVA handles too, as the ones I had encountered were on the decidedly poor side of the quality scale.

In the spring of 202 I got my hands on the new Defiant 210 swimbaits and I decided I wanted to try a different rod than just re-use my older custom muskie rods as a treat to myself.

After much reading here on TT, I decided to spend more time researching the Evergreen Grand Stallion GTX and I truly found the rod specifications to be so fantastic as to be almost "too good to be true" and the only hang up in going ahead with the purchase was the fact it had an EVA handle. After re-reading Cal's rod reviews of the Evergreen Super Stallion and Super Stallion Black, I decided to go ahead and buy the Grand Stallion since he seemed to prefer the EVA handle on the Super Stallion Black over the cork version.

Cal is absolutely correct! The EVA on the Grand Stallion is smooth and dense in a way that no previous rod with EVA handles I'd ever touched before could compare! You have to feel it to believe its EVA as it doesn't look or feel like the stuff you find on lesser quality rods.

I've since used the Grand Stallion for a variety of presentations ranging all the way from a Megabass I Slide 262T at 6oz to the Megabass Deep-X 200 LBO crankbait that weighs a comparatively paltry 1/2oz with great success and joy! I know you will be as pleasantly surprised as I was with how great the EVA handle is on the Black Rose as I was with my Grand Stallion.

Good luck with your search for your new high-end football jig rod!
2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS