What's it gonna be? 22 Stella or 22 Exist

This is the place to talk shop about all the enthusiast and import tackle for the truly afflicted
HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: What's it gonna be? 22 Stella or 22 Exist

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:59 pm

I'm a little disappointed that there's no USDM 4000 XH model. I like the larger spool for line management and the high speed for most applications.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:53 am

Got some time on the 22 Exist and really happy with it. I’d say it lives up to the hype as far as refinement. It’s spectacular. Very very similar to the last version but slightly better balance and winding. With the improved inertia talk I was expecting a big difference in winding feel and I’d score it as slightly lighter winding but not equivalent to high end Shimano (if that’s what you’re most interested in). It does feel more nimble so to speak and the great balance is noticeable. So far it feels like an improved version and not necessarily a reinvention. 22 Stella should be here Monday and will be interesting to compare them head to head. I still think the new Stella features will feel like a reel that fishes noticeably different than the previous model but time will tell.

StymoDe
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by StymoDe » Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:48 pm

Cranky wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:53 am
Got some time on the 22 Exist and really happy with it. I’d say it lives up to the hype as far as refinement. It’s spectacular. Very very similar to the last version but slightly better balance and winding. With the improved inertia talk I was expecting a big difference in winding feel and I’d score it as slightly lighter winding but not equivalent to high end Shimano (if that’s what you’re most interested in). It does feel more nimble so to speak and the great balance is noticeable. So far it feels like an improved version and not necessarily a reinvention. 22 Stella should be here Monday and will be interesting to compare them head to head. I still think the new Stella features will feel like a reel that fishes noticeably different than the previous model but time will tell.
this is super helpful. I am debating just get a Airity or jump to 22 Exist or Stella. can't wait for your thoughts on the new Stella :big grin:

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:54 am

StymoDe wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:48 pm
can't wait for your thoughts on the new Stella :big grin:
x2

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:36 am

StymoDe wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:48 pm
Cranky wrote:
Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:53 am
this is super helpful. I am debating just get a Airity or jump to 22 Exist or Stella. can't wait for your thoughts on the new Stella :big grin:
cant speak on the new stella or exist (likely wont own one unless i find it on clearance!) but the airity is a fantastic reel, esentially a 18 exist for less money, i will probably get another by the end of the summer (i currently have a lt fc2000s-p) if i can find one in stock when the funds allow!

18RangerZ520L
Angler
Angler

Post by 18RangerZ520L » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:02 am

I got two of the 3000's, have both paired up with Conquest 902S's. Was able to try them out for a little bit a couple weeks ago. They cast great with just a flick of the wrist and the slower oscillating spool seemed to lay the line perfectly on the retrieve. I'm a straight fluorocarbon guy, both have 8lb Tatsu on them. The FK does feel smoother than my previous FJ's (didn't know that was possible...). My 2022 reel arsenal is complete now :D

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:00 am

Had some head to head time and here’s my take on only the 22 Stella vs 22 Exist.

Winding feel / startup inertia: Stella feels extremely airy at room temp and below freezing both, Exist feels more like a magnetic feel at room temp and resistance goes up a little when it’s below freezing temps. Picture it like a hard whirl of the handle the Stella free spins roughly 8-10 seconds while the Exist free spins 4 seconds. It’s not a perfect comparison but there’s a noticeable difference in the feel head to head.

Perceived Smoothness: Stella feels kinda like perfectly spinning bearings/gears, a finely precision tuned mechanical feel. The Exist actually feels more like spinning the handle through air or hydraulics, there’s no perceived mechanical feel.

Balance/Wobble/Weight: Exist has better balance at the reel foot, feels centered in hand, and feels very low swing weight and more nimble on the rod than the Stella. Stella has very slight high speed wobble, whirl the handle hard and it’s noticeable compared to the Exist. The Exist has very very low wobble at even the highest handle speeds. Weight advantage goes to the Exist obviously.

Casting/Line-Management: Stella casts better with less line resistance and has less looping over the top of the spool with the new design. Exist is very good but as far as casting goes it seems overall pretty similar to previous reels/designs to me.

All in all I’d give the edge to the Stella in casting and winding feel. Exist gets the edge in weight, balance/wobble, and smooth feel.

reason162
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by reason162 » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:20 am

18RangerZ520L wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:02 am
They cast great with just a flick of the wrist and the slower oscillating spool seemed to lay the line perfectly on the retrieve. I'm a straight fluorocarbon guy, both have 8lb Tatsu on them.
How do you find that twist reducing fin on the new Stella for straight fluoro?

I've always had issue with slack line winding techniques with straight fluoro on spinning reels - jerkbaits, twitching jigs etc.

18RangerZ520L
Angler
Angler

Post by 18RangerZ520L » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:51 pm

reason162 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:20 am
18RangerZ520L wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:02 am
They cast great with just a flick of the wrist and the slower oscillating spool seemed to lay the line perfectly on the retrieve. I'm a straight fluorocarbon guy, both have 8lb Tatsu on them.
How do you find that twist reducing fin on the new Stella for straight fluoro?

I've always had issue with slack line winding techniques with straight fluoro on spinning reels - jerkbaits, twitching jigs etc.
I threw a jerkbait the whole time with it, zero issues

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:24 am

How do the drags compare?

My last Daiwa purchase was a Certate Custom Finesse and I was a bit disappointed in the drag compared to the comparable Shimano models.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:33 pm

I’d definitely give the edge to the Stella on drag. I’m aware of the new drag marketing on the 22 Exist but on the water it seemed pretty similar to the 18 Exist to me… at least not something I noticed any big difference in and I’ve had a few incidental 20#+ drag screamer rough fish mixed in the last few days that gave the drags a real workout. I thought the 18 Stella had a great drag (and sound) and the 22 Stella keeps the same best-drag title in my opinion.