Crankbait rods...Megabass vs G.Loomis...which would you pick?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jnkoepp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Crankbait rods...Megabass vs G.Loomis...which would you pick?

Post by Jnkoepp » Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:11 pm

I REALLY like the Steez rods. They are all a lot more versatile than the MB imo. If I were looking for a rod for RKs, the z crank and Steez MBV would be at the top of my list.

If clemson means you’re in SC, maybe we can plan a fishing trip sometime and you can throw all mine

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:22 pm

Jnkoepp wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:11 pm
I REALLY like the Steez rods. They are all a lot more versatile than the MB imo. If I were looking for a rod for RKs, the z crank and Steez MBV would be at the top of my list.

If clemson means you’re in SC, maybe we can plan a fishing trip sometime and you can throw all mine
Oh thank you1 I'm actually in NC but thank you though. Have you ever fished Imx-pro or any loomis cranking rods? wonder how they compare

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:26 am

Jnkoepp wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 5:11 pm

Thanks! Unfortunately it’s hard to find the steez moving bait rod!
Anyone use a p5 for medium (3/8-3/4)depth cranking? If so, what model and how do you like it? Thanks

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:15 am

Im thinking the z-crank elseil. Anyone think that’s a good or bad idea for 3/8-3/4?

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:18 am

clemsondds wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 11:15 am
Im thinking the z-crank elseil. Anyone think that’s a good or bad idea for 3/8-3/4?
1/2 or 3/4 oz on the Z-crank would be pushing it. For cranks in that size, you'd want the P5 Madbull.

Z-crank Elseil is more for cranks up to 3/8 oz.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:42 pm

Neither,

Just go with a Shimano rod for cranking. For what your wanting i'd go shimano jdm since you want to stay away from glass.
I'd suggest the valkyrie but its a blend and you may not like it but it will do all that your asking IMHO and more. really good rod that I 've even playing around with..
You could wait til ICAST is over and see what new offerings are out but if your like me and just the tool that best suited to do what you want it to do, I'd honestly look at shimano. I have an older cumara reaction rod that is just love on butter. I imagine someone here can help you with what your looking for in the shimano jdm line up. Also have you considered EvERgreEn rods?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

clemsondds
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by clemsondds » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:58 pm

jmb27 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:18 am
clemsondds wrote:
1/2 or 3/4 oz on the Z-crank would be pushing it. For cranks in that size, you'd want the P5 Madbull.

Ok thanks! Do you have both of these rods? What do you use the eiseil for? thanks

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:54 am

clemsondds wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:58 pm
jmb27 wrote:
Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:18 am
clemsondds wrote:

Ok thanks! Do you have both of these rods? What do you use the eiseil for? thanks
I have an X7 Super Elseil. It is rated for 1/4 - 3/4. I like it for everything in that range and it can do single hook moving baits as well. I am a big fan of the Elseil rods--the one in the Evoluzion line are great as well. Many of those have a medium fast taper compared to the regular of the Super Elseil.

I do not have either of those P5 models (I am very pleased w/the ones that I have). In talking with people that have the Z-crank, it is a great rod for cranks up to 1/2 oz. Bigger topwaters and deeper divers would align better w/the MadBull.

Another MB cranking line to look into (harder to find) is the Black Jungle series.