og zillion type R vs the new zillion G

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

og zillion type R vs the new zillion G

Post by johns » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:08 am

For those who have both which reel is better at bombing 1 oz plus top water lures. I have been using the zillion type r for bombing a buzz jet at night to cover water on shallow flats. Every once in a while I get a back lash. Which reel would cast 1 oz lures the best. thanks john

Kimbro1014
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: og zillion type R vs the new zillion G

Post by Kimbro1014 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:42 am

Not an apples to apples comparison…I have a 50th Zillion and a few Zillion 1000s. The 50th has spacers and a Zillion SV spool in it. I get more distance with the SV spool than I do the stock spool. My 50th with SV spool casts a tad farther, maybe 5-10 feet than the Zillion 1000. I’ve not compared the stock spool to the Zillion 1000 directly. I’d wager the stock Zillion spool will slightly beat the Zillion 1000 when all things are equal providing the lure has mass and is aerodynamic to an extent. I’m not sure if the 50th and Type R spools differ.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:35 am

What type line are you using on the Zillion Type R?
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:09 pm

Bombing and backlashes come with the territory. For night fishing I value control and would use my Tatula 200 for night fishing a 1 oz bait. I fish 110 ploppers at night on it and it casts them as far as I care to at night yet still has the braking power to lob the bait near cover and keep me out of trouble. Out of the new reels I would opt for the Zillion HD but its not a long bomber from what I am seeing but probably better a fixed inductor Tatula 200 that I am using. For my long bombing of 1 oz I like my TD Zillon HLC and Z200 on Long Cast mode but during daylight hours and with braid. Both are too fast for non braid.

johns
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by johns » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:03 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:35 am
40 lb power pro super slick

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:09 pm

johns wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:03 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:35 am
40 lb power pro super slick
If you want more control with braid at night, then I agree on an SV spool, although a 36 mm with the correct brake and CCC setting has it's advantages over a 34 mm spool.

Personally, for 1 oz Buzzjets and big bait night fishing, I would slap on my Z2020H and put the 3-D setting on mid-range, it does a great job of mitigating backlashes while still providing "SV-ish" distances.

Between the Zillion Type R and Zillion 1000, I think the 34 mm mag boost spool with that 40lb braid may be better controlled than the stock Zillion Type R spool while still allowing for good consistent distances on your casts.

For overall distance with braid, I say the Zillion Silver Wolf would be the way to go or OG Zillion with factory HLC spool or I'ZE HLC spool.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."