Third generation Tatula is coming next month

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Third generation Tatula is coming next month

Post by joekaz » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:33 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:03 pm
joekaz wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:31 am
LowRange wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 9:13 am
joekaz wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:40 am
I will have to handle one in person to confirm, but this new Tatula looks to be the most uncomfortable one to date. Protruding mag dial and crazy contours for the thumb rest. It seams like more reels these days are forcing the user to put their thumb in a certain spot. I like a nice flat area to put my thumb anywhere I want without feeling some kind of edge.
It looks like it only protrudes on the top like the classic daiwa reels. In that case it occupies the vacant spot between your index finger and thumb when palming while offering ease of access to your thumb for adjustment. They got it right from the get go IMO. They later made the whole perimeter of the dial stick out then moved it to under the reel with the newest iterations making basically impossible to adjust while palming.

Old school and new school mag dial theory reference
Looking at the front and palm side pics on Tackle Wharehouse there is a huge difference between this reel and the og Zillion.
I own some og zillions and I can't feel the mag dial with my pointer finger. I can't say that about any of the Tatula's. The Tatula 81 that I tried was not as bad as the others but it still didn't work for me. It's not just the dial, it's the ridge that sticks out under the dial that I feel to. I like a smooth side plate like most of the Shimano reels.
It reminds me more of the OG Alphas than the OG Zillion. Alphas palm pretty well but still have a slight non textured beveled edge on the outpost perimeter of the dial. This new Tatula has the style of dial with the textured leading edge. Still, I think that if the old Alphas palms well for you then thus new Tatula should too.
Also am I imagining things or does the Tatula look like it's frame could accommodate a larger diameter spool? Is this a native 36mm frame with 34mm spool? Maybe an HD version will come out with 36mm spool or some bay vertical jigging reell? Or is it a 34mm native frame with a 33mm or 32mm spool? We usually only see that with the SV variants. Seems like a few mils of wasted space if it is never used.
I have never had an old Alphas in my hand so I wouldn't know on that one. Hope to check out the new Tatula soon.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:20 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:44 am
Who cares
Deep down, I think you really care. You're just too shy to admit it.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:47 pm

Chode wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:20 pm
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Who cares
Hey buddy show us that stellar Tatula collection you have :lol:

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Nov 30, 2023 8:19 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 7:47 pm
Chode wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 3:20 pm
Fishing4Fun wrote:
Who cares
Hey buddy show us that stellar Tatula collection you have :lol:
Maybe tomorrow? Don't wanna keep you from sleeping by getting a chubby all night

Mnsmallieguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Mnsmallieguy » Mon Dec 04, 2023 8:23 am

Why do some people have a problem with graduating Tatula models over the years? I have been buying Curados since the 90's. No one complains about that series never going away. What am I missing?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:11 am

joekaz wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:33 pm
LowRange wrote:
joekaz wrote:
LowRange wrote:
joekaz wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:40 am
I will have to handle one in person to confirm, but this new Tatula looks to be the most uncomfortable one to date. Protruding mag dial and crazy contours for the thumb rest. It seams like more reels these days are forcing the user to put their thumb in a certain spot. I like a nice flat area to put my thumb anywhere I want without feeling some kind of edge.
It looks like it only protrudes on the top like the classic daiwa reels. In that case it occupies the vacant spot between your index finger and thumb when palming while offering ease of access to your thumb for adjustment. They got it right from the get go IMO. They later made the whole perimeter of the dial stick out then moved it to under the reel with the newest iterations making basically impossible to adjust while palming.

Looking at the front and palm side pics on Tackle Wharehouse there is a huge difference between this reel and the og Zillion.
I own some og zillions and I can't feel the mag dial with my pointer finger. I can't say that about any of the Tatula's. The Tatula 81 that I tried was not as bad as the others but it still didn't work for me. It's not just the dial, it's the ridge that sticks out under the dial that I feel to. I like a smooth side plate like most of the Shimano reels.
It reminds me more of the OG Alphas than the OG Zillion. Alphas palm pretty well but still have a slight non textured beveled edge on the outpost perimeter of the dial. This new Tatula has the style of dial with the textured leading edge. Still, I think that if the old Alphas palms well for you then thus new Tatula should too.
Also am I imagining things or does the Tatula look like it's frame could accommodate a larger diameter spool? Is this a native 36mm frame with 34mm spool? Maybe an HD version will come out with 36mm spool or some bay vertical jigging reell? Or is it a 34mm native frame with a 33mm or 32mm spool? We usually only see that with the SV variants. Seems like a few mils of wasted space if it is never used.
I have never had an old Alphas in my hand so I wouldn't know on that one. Hope to check out the new Tatula soon.
Do you have the Tatula 80? Those are going for $113 on the chinease site.

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Thu Dec 07, 2023 5:18 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2023 11:11 am
joekaz wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:33 pm
LowRange wrote:
joekaz wrote:
LowRange wrote:

Do you have the Tatula 80? Those are going for $113 on the chinease site.
I have a 81 but I am going to sell it. While it is a little more comfortable than the other Tatula's, I can still feel the Mag dial with my pointer finger. Wearing a sun glove does help. Still not enough for me to keep it.
's

joekaz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by joekaz » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:02 am

I had the chance to check out the new Tatula. I mounted it on a Tatula rod. As I expected, I can feel the mag dial when I grip the rod and reel. It is just as bad, if not worse than the other models. I did not like the contoured thumb rest either. I could feel the two "fangs" on the end of my thumb. With all that said, if you grip the rod with just two fingers in front of the trigger it was fine. I tried this grip on all the other Tatula models in the past, but it was too awkward for me. I have to have 3 fingers in front of the trigger.