Batson RX8+ vs. SCV

When production rods are not enough, it's time to go custom. Come share your experiences building and/or ordering a custom rod and tell us if you'll ever go back to off the shelf.
Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Batson RX8+ vs. SCV

Post by Katron » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:24 pm

Can somebody tell me if these blanks are similar in sensitivity? I am planning on building myself a heavy jig rod this fall and am having a hard time deciding between these two blank series. I was looking in particular at the Batson c865 and the St. Croix 5c70HF-G.

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

shfishinsticks
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Batson RX8+ vs. SCV

Post by shfishinsticks » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:40 pm

RX8+ = SCV

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:07 pm

In the blanks I measured that were supposedly identical blanks (many will tell you that the RX8+ are relabeled SCV's) I have found that the RX8+'s are not up to par with the SCV. The numbers I get tell me that they are not the same blanks. And the numbers tell me they are not up to the performance levels of the SCV.

St. Croix MAY make them for Batson, but they aren't relabeling SCV's to do it.
Matt Davis
Otterods-High performance fishing rods

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:05 pm

I should also state that most of my jig fishing is done with a roll cast or pitch, more often the latter. Would you guys recommend the H 7' or the MH 7' SCV? I enjoy a lighter tip and nice stiff butt section for jig pitching.

Kaleb

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew
Location: Fergus Falls, MN - Otterods - Hand Crafted High Performance Fishing Rods

Post by Mattman » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:47 am

Well...the H is a bit of a pool cue and not a blank I think of when I think, "a lighter tip and nice stiff butt section".

But a lot depends on how heavy your jigs really are. Without knowing the weight, its hard to offer up the blank that will load well.

From your statements, I'd say the MH.
Matt Davis

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:04 am

This is a heavy jigging rod which for me would land in the range of 3/8 - 1oz (just lead).

Kaleb

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:08 am

For that I'd recommend the gloomis glx mb844 or a mhx version of it. That is about as good of a jig blank as you will find for skipping and pitching jigs.

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:21 am

Umm dude, the Loomis blanks are not available anymore ](*,) ... thanks for the tip though.

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:54 am

Katron wrote:Umm dude, the Loomis blanks are not available anymore ](*,) ... thanks for the tip though.
mudhole shows they still have old stock on the site. 32 IMX and 10 GLX in the MB844. Not sure how the warranty works now though. I would think since they still make the production models they'd be able to handle a claim if neccessary.

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:47 pm

Katron wrote:Umm dude, the Loomis blanks are not available anymore ](*,) ... thanks for the tip though.
Umm "dude" I realize that. ](*,) Magically though some places still have them in stock. As a matter of fact American legacy has some glx mb844's in stock at 40% off. Maybe that's a better tip.

jimmyb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jimmyb » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:18 pm

loomis glx844 = $270 with a questionable warranty

stcroix 5c70MHF = $167 with a full factory warranty and from a company that still supports custom builders

I think the choice is clear

Also, if you are gonna throw jigs towards the 1oz range more often, i would go with the 5c70HF. If you are gonna stay closer to 1/2 oz, the 5c70mhf is the ticket. It is hard to get a blank to do both!

5bites
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by 5bites » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:25 pm

So nobody knows if gloomis will honor the warranty? If they won't I'd buy a hm mhx equilavent. Maybe try a phenix.

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:52 pm

Gloomis would probably give you a coupon to use on something else they sell... such as a finished rod.

Mattman
TT Gear Crew
TT Gear Crew

Post by Mattman » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:07 am

jimmyb wrote: if you are gonna throw jigs towards the 1oz range more often, i would go with the 5c70HF. If you are gonna stay closer to 1/2 oz, the 5c70mhf is the ticket. It is hard to get a blank to do both!
Ditto

5bites wrote: So nobody knows if gloomis will honor the warranty?
You get a discount on a factory rod.

Blanks are not an option.

So...in my opinion...there is no warranty. If I wanted some factory built off the shelf rod that's what I would have bought in the first place.
Matt Davis