hyper speed mod for the millionaire 103 platform

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

hyper speed mod for the millionaire 103 platform

Post by zenbassr » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:07 am

i'd put this project off for awhile but a recent arrival got the ball rolling...

i use my CVX103 as my frog reel, though i've always wanted to speed up the retrieve a bit... so out goes the 5.8 to 1 ratio stock gears. here's a shot of the old gearset alongside of the 6.8 to 1 gearset from the PX Type R:

though dimensions differ slightly, the stock drag stack will transfer over with perfect fitment. hard to tell by naked eye, but the PX pinion gear is ~.5mm longer than the CVX pinion according to my calipers:

initial testing shows no difference in cranking smoothness, and so far i'm not seeing any issues with line lay. the change in line takeup is noticeable :D

and here's the inspiration for getting this project done:

FWIW this mod required only the gears and no other parts. it should apply to all Millionaire 103 based reels including the CVZ, Luna, Ringa, I'ze Light, etc

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: hyper speed mod for the millionaire 103 platform

Post by Mcyl » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:33 am

Should definitely be possible, I mean how else would MB do it with the HG? I'm interested in doing the same as well as make it compatible with RCS spools. Would be a fun project to take say a baycasting sp and mill it based on own designs and fashion a few parts ala monoblock. Does PXR drag star set also fit on it?

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:11 pm

Thanks for the new info :D
I was always under the impression that the 6.8 gears would not fit.The high speed(6.8) Monoblock has a special gearbox extension in order to accommodate the 6.8 gears(red anodized portion on photo below). :-k
ImageImage
ImageImage

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:30 am

africanbass wrote:The high speed(6.8) Monoblock has a special gearbox extension in order to accommodate the 6.8 gears(red anodized portion on photo below)
interesting, i would love to see close ups of that piece or even better inside the gearcase... with MB form doesnt always follow function but i wouldn't put it past them to source a 6.8 gearset from a reel other than the Pixy platform :-k

comparing caliper measurements the PX 6.8 drive gear OD is ~.5mm more than the CV 5.8 drive gear, but there's still just enough room to fit inside the CV gearcase, no fitment issues found:

Mcyl wrote:Does PXR drag star set also fit on it?
on the drive shaft yes, but there's no room to tighten down due to the cast control (tension) cap. i believe that's why the new form factor cap was adopted for the PX, to resolve the clearance issue. i don't have the PX cap on hand so i can't rule this one out yet...

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:02 pm

zenbassr wrote: with MB form doesnt always follow function but i wouldn't put it past them to source a 6.8 gearset from a reel other than the Pixy platform :-k
Couldn't source a larger gear set because it wouldn't fit the centers of rotation. 6.8 gear ratio means the large gear is 6.8 times larger in radius than the small gear. Long story short, if the px 6.8 fits, than any 6.8 gearset that would work for the spacing between the drive shaft and the spool shaft would be the same size. Therefore a gearbox extension would never be needed with a 6.8 gearset in that reel.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:08 pm

smalliesteve wrote:
zenbassr wrote: with MB form doesnt always follow function but i wouldn't put it past them to source a 6.8 gearset from a reel other than the Pixy platform :-k
Couldn't source a larger gear set because it wouldn't fit the centers of rotation. 6.8 gear ratio means the large gear is 6.8 times larger in radius than the small gear. Long story short, if the px 6.8 fits, than any 6.8 gearset that would work for the spacing between the drive shaft and the spool shaft would be the same size. Therefore a gearbox extension would never be needed with a 6.8 gearset in that reel.
A gearbox extension would mean an increase of the distance between the centres. That's a major change to frame and side plate...could be too much a change for MB for such a low volume model. Speaking of gears anyone seen the 7.0:1 gear sets for cq50?

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by africanbass » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:15 pm

Now I am curious :lol:
Can someone with a 6.8 high speed Monoblock please remove the gearbox extension and snap a photo for us please [-o<
Keen to see what's up under the skin.

smalliesteve
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by smalliesteve » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:27 am

Mcyl wrote:
smalliesteve wrote:
A gearbox extension would mean an increase of the distance between the centres. That's a major change to frame and side plate...could be too much a change for MB for such a low volume model. Speaking of gears anyone seen the 7.0:1 gear sets for cq50?

If the red anodized portion under the handle is a gearbox extension as mentioned, then it alone is not needed. If MB changed the frame (what you're talking about) then it's a whole 'nother ball of wax.

As Africanbass pointed out, a picture would go a long way! I will also join in the begging. [-o< [-o< [-o<

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:44 pm

i have tuned quite a few monoblocks. my recollection is that the frame and handle-side side-plate are basically the same dimensionally, the as a millionaire 103....the reason it looks so different is because megabass replaced the side-plate outer ring with a plate that covers a much smaller area(only the area that the side-plate leaves open over the drive gear)

part 45 here:
cvzr.jpg
cvzr.jpg (23.03 KiB) Viewed 8690 times
was replaced with part 50 here:
monoblock.jpg
monoblock.jpg (44.58 KiB) Viewed 8690 times

zenbassr
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zenbassr » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:42 am

e_bassfisher wrote:i have tuned quite a few monoblocks. my recollection is that the frame and handle-side side-plate are basically the same dimensionally, the as a millionaire 103...
so in this case, why does part 50 on the HG 68 extend below the frame, as seen in a number of pics including here:

while the same part in the 100XR is flush with the frame:

is this just for show, MB being MB?

or, is there a limited run gearset out there that requires an extension?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:13 am

The gearset sits down into the main frame on all the Millionaire and MB variants. The bulge added by the "half-ring" that Ian pointed out is a moot point since the frame doesn't make the same bulge. All indications are that it is purely cosmetic. Look closely at the last picture posted above. Also, regarding OD of the main gear, check this direct comparison. If this following info is correct, the pinion gear has to be slightly smaller in diameter where the gears mesh.
http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... lit=alphas

e_bassfisher
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by e_bassfisher » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:55 am

megabass trickery :lol:

if you think about it, IF the drive gear were to be enlarged, while the frame stayed the same(dimensionally), it seems like the pinion gear would have to be absolutely tiny in diameter(think of how skinny the px68's pinion gear is)...not sure one could be made much smaller than the 68 gear set. OR, i guess there is a possibility that the frame could be different....though that doesn't seem likely at all because it be a very expensive undertaking. as well, it seems that we do now know for sure, thanks to ZB's tinkering, that the 103 millionaire gear center-line is the same as the pixy and alphas platform.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:04 am

I don't think MB could get Daiwa to revise a frame (entire new castings and CNC instruction sets)
For a low volume variant of a reel. It ain't trickery because when it comes to reels MB is an asthetics mod company not a a tuning company. That extra bulge is a design feature not a function feature, all in all to make a already beautiful reel even more appealing...no small task.

BARRAMANIAC
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BARRAMANIAC » Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:44 am

So you should be able to take the outside ring off a cvz ( not cvx as it is different design ) and fit the monblock parts. Looking close at a monoblock and cvz I would asume most parts are interchangeable.

Mcyl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Mcyl » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:06 pm

BARRAMANIAC wrote:So you should be able to take the outside ring off a cvz ( not cvx as it is different design ) and fit the monblock parts. Looking close at a monoblock and cvz I would asume most parts are interchangeable.
They are. I'm trying to make a few parts for the millionaire family like a Perspex version of the MB plate and thumb bar. A lot can be done to such a solid platform.