Graphite or aluminum frame on baitcast reel?

The heart and soul of TackleTour. It is, afterall, all about the tackle. Select your subforum of choice and start sharing and asking information, and if you can't figure out which is the right one, choose "General".
dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Graphite or aluminum frame on baitcast reel?

Post by dustlane » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:41 pm

Is there anything wrong with a graphite frame on a freshwater baitcast reel primarily used for bass? It seems that the only freshwater reels that have a graphite frame are the really low end models while the higher priced models have aluminum frames. Why is that? ALOT of saltwater reels have graphite frames and seem to perform great. I know that graphite is used on saltwater reels to avoid corrosion. But if graphite is strong enough for huge saltwater fish it would appear that it would work even better on freshwater reels. Yet most baitcasters, except for the ones in the $20-$40 price range, have aluminum or magnesium frames. Pflueger has a new reel called the Echelon that is really nice. However, it too has a graphite frame. All of my current reels have aluminum reels. I didn't plan it that way it just happed. My question is that if graphite is so great for big saltwater reels why do we need frames made of aluminum or magnesium for freshwater reels. Is it because if all reels were made with graphite frames we would happily spend $50 instead of $150 for aluminum that we really don't need?

shadow745
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Graphite or aluminum frame on baitcast reel?

Post by shadow745 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:13 pm

For freshwater fishing I don't think it matters. Back in the 80's several top companies used graphite instead of aluminum and it worked fine. The reasoning was that it was a little more sensitive than aluminum. The aluminum frames made back then were crude by modern standards. I still have an old Daiwa PT10X that has an aluminum frame and I really don't see how it held together that long. I think what really boosted the aluminum craze was the reinvention of the round baitcasters. It seems that after round reels such as the Calcutta were being made from solid chunks of aluminum, manufacturers started looking for ways to incorporate aluminum in a better way for low-profile reels as well. I don't think there's much of a price difference between the 2 materials overall, but maybe aluminum is easier to work with. Who knows? Good question on your part. I'm the same way with magnesium. I can't see what benefit it offers for the increased cost. Later!

Loudmouthbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Loudmouthbass » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:16 pm

it doesnt matter as much now but it does matter enough that i will only buy aluminum(or better) frame reels

Hammer
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hammer » Mon Oct 17, 2005 4:47 pm

That is qood question and i dont know the answer. At a quick guess without any research i thing the answer might be something to do with rigidity. Ive heard of graphite frames flexing, probably not the best thing for precision machined gears and tight tolerance bearings. The low to mid range of big game reels (tld, torium, tyranos ect.) use graphite frames. However, once you move to the top end, like the tiagras, sealine tournament, torsa and saltiga type reels they all go back to machine cut aluminium.

As for the benefit of magnesium over aluminium; ity is purely in its strength to weight ratio. Means you need less weight for same strength. Is the difference in weight worth the price is up to the individual.

dustlane
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by dustlane » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:12 pm

I do know that on spinning reels graphite frames can flex when put under a real heavy load causing gear misalignment. But on a baitcaster it would seem to me that, simply because of its design, it would be extremely hard for any frame to flex very much at all. Anybody can bend a coat hanger. But cut a one inch piece of that coat hanger off and try to bend it. Alot harder to do. It would seem that the same principal would apply for the frames on baitcasting and spinning reels. Who knows. I have to say, though, that I lke the price of the graphite framed reels alot better. But, for some reason I can't explain, I only have aluminum framed reels.