Conquest brake blocks, Aldebaran (SVS infinity)

Reels are the hottest topic for TackleTour. Everyone wants to know what the latest and greatest is and how they compare to the old guard. What's the best for light stuff, or what's your suggestion for heavy cover. Do we really need different retrieve ratios? It's all in here.
y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Conquest brake blocks, Aldebaran (SVS infinity)

Post by y2k88 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:06 pm

G'day all.

Reporting back after not getting any responses back here about fitting the Aldebaran brake blocks on a Conquest's SVS infinity (http://forums.tackletour.com/viewtopic. ... 15#p544144). The reason I looked into this was because the Conquest was still very stable slinging TN60's with one brake block on and the external dial set to min (but zero brake blocks was too wild).

The Aldebaran's brake blocks (white) are smaller than the Conquest's brake blocks (red). Whilst the contact area on the 'inner hook' remains the same, the weight around the 'outer hook' is less, so the centrifugal braking would also be less. Similar to having the smoke/green/pink brake blocks on the old VBS.

Sideview showing the 'inner hook' contact point and 'outer hook' weight area

Got some from Japan, and did a side by side comparison, and everything seems to suggest it'll work. Night time here, so won't be able to throw the rod around, but will report back again when I do.

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Conquest brake blocks, Aldebaran (SVS infinity)

Post by Bootytrain » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:13 am

Are you trying to achieve less braking force?

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:10 am

Yes.

reznor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reznor » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:15 am

Maybe these small blocks work better with light lures and make more linear brake on this spool. they need less centrifugal force to engage.Just a theory... Could you test it with lighter lures (5- 6gr)? I'll be waiting your report !

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:16 am

I know swapping the red blocks for the white ones on the Metaniums noticeably adds distance but a little more backlash prone

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:49 am

Rod Loomis 842c mbr
Line varivas seabass pe#1 or 1.2

With a 10-11 g casting plug, i switched between one red block on and one white block on. I was getting about 40 m either way, with maybe the white block with the lighter braking giving me up to 5%, so 2 m extra. Nothing practically useful but still very controllable.

Switched to a scatter rap shad with the hooks removed (probably around 6g) and found it slightly uncontrollable with two light blocks on, but OK with 1 red + 1 white or 2 reds. Casting into a slight breeze, about 20 m. Again, the gains in distance was probably nothing practically significant, at least in my hands. I think the braking also becomes less responsive to the external dial when using the white blocks because of the reduced braking/friction on the drum.

Under some situations, the white blocks may offer some benefit. I think my ultimate setup might be to have 3 whites and 1 red on the spool, with most likely configs being 1 white, 1 white + 1 red, 3 whites. I don't see a practical application where i need to turn all 4 red blocks on.

They're as good as free, like 50 yen block. If nothing else, cheap tackle tinkering entertainment.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:12 am

A non-owner question.
I've read here that the SVS braking system makes noise, and requires that the brake drum be oiled regularly. Do the red blocks make noise?

reznor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reznor » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:43 am

I'm planning buy a cnq 101hg but I prefer mag brake for windy shores where I live.Now I've read you post... I know it needs a mag conversion just I've to make some parts

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:31 am

Mine is very quiet. No noise on any of my svs reels for that matter.

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:13 am

reznor wrote:I'm planning buy a cnq 101hg but I prefer mag brake for windy shores where I live.Now I've read you post... I know it needs a mag conversion just I've to make some parts
Yeah, maybe look into a Daiwa SV-equipped reel. I've never cast one before, but plenty on here have. The benefit I see is that you get the full range of mag adjustment (from min to max) in a single dial so can adjust as required under rapidly changing conditions.

The SVS infinity has the adjustment over two areas, but I imagine most would use the external dial once setting one or two blocks to on.

I think you'll also need to look at the type of 5-6 g lures you're throwing. Highly buoyant cranks like the scatter rap shad is a bit diff to casting a spoon or a jighead and plastic.

reznor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reznor » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:08 am

You're right y2k88.My t3sv casts those weigths like a dream.Just I want to prove this reel, if is silky and powerfull like others said here.With a little upgrade can cover my needs

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:24 am

Yes, the Conquests are very smooth on the retrieve.

Maybe give the Zillion SV TW a look when they come out Feb/Mar.
http://www.daiwaweb.com/jp/fishing/item ... index.html
Metal frame (but not sure on side frames), but made in Thailand (if that matters to you; Conquest made in Japan).

Bootytrain
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Bootytrain » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:49 am

y2k88 wrote:
reznor wrote:I'm planning buy a cnq 101hg but I prefer mag brake for windy shores where I live.Now I've read you post... I know it needs a mag conversion just I've to make some parts
Yeah, maybe look into a Daiwa SV-equipped reel. I've never cast one before, but plenty on here have. The benefit I see is that you get the full range of mag adjustment (from min to max) in a single dial so can adjust as required under rapidly changing conditions.

The SVS infinity has the adjustment over two areas, but I imagine most would use the external dial once setting one or two blocks to on.

I think you'll also need to look at the type of 5-6 g lures you're throwing. Highly buoyant cranks like the scatter rap shad is a bit diff to casting a spoon or a jighead and plastic.
Eh.. I have the SS SV and while its a good caster, it doesnt stand out as anything special among my reels.

reznor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by reznor » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:44 am

(Should I a post a new topic? Let me know) A lot of reels can cast light lures. I think if stock spool doesn't manage these weights just fair with a mag brake still is 1024r spool.Don't you give a try?

y2k88
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by y2k88 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:58 am

Yeah, it's all good. Unless someone reports back with their results, there isn't really much to add to this thread.

No, haven't tried the Avail 1024 spool.
I lost interest in pimping my gear.
(P.S. the new Avail spool from Shimano rely on transplanting the SVS hub from the stock spool to the avail spool. I think they are moving away from the mag design.)

I might try again tomorrow with a 5-6 g suspending minnow with a smaller profile/denser body.
But as per the results on the 10g casting plug, don't see how the white/red block will significantly change the casting distance, maybe 5-10%.