Shimano Zodias Action?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
fishballer06
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Zodias Action?

Post by fishballer06 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:50 am

So I'm looking for a heavy power rod that would be good for jigs, as well as larger chatterbaits (3/4 - 1oz plus a trailer), and carolina rigs. The 7'2" H Zodias is the main rod I'm considering at this time. Does anyone out there have this rod and can tell me what the action is like on these things? I know that the Zodias is advertised as a "do everything" type action, but I'd prefer a personal opinion rather than a generic description. Thanks.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Zodias Action?

Post by cndbasshunter » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:54 am

It's a fast action rod. will work great for jigs and carolina rig.

see the table below...seem slike a perfect fit for you.

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:55 pm

Nice and fast. Crisp for a $200 rod. I frog with mine mostly with some swim jigging on the side. 1 oz + trailer seems doable.

Only gripe is the reel seat is uncomfortable with taller reels if I go four fingers in front of the tigger palming. Comfortable with a '13 Met or Ci4+ however.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun Feb 21, 2016 1:25 pm

CGrinder wrote:Nice and fast. Crisp for a $200 rod. I frog with mine mostly with some swim jigging on the side. 1 oz + trailer seems doable.

Only gripe is the reel seat is uncomfortable with taller reels if I go four fingers in front of the tigger palming. Comfortable with a '13 Met or Ci4+ however.
yea...sems the shimano reels fit best with this this handle. LOL. i run 7 mets so i am okay with the handle. LOL.

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:29 pm

TW now lists the actions some are med-fast. Is that about right? It makes me more interested in the 610M now.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by smalljaw » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:30 pm

If you are looking for something that is stout with a little bit extra flex with nice sensitivity, try the Hammer 7'3" Heavy, I have a 6'9" heavy that I got for large topwaters and big square bills but I've found that it is an outstanding chatterbait and spinnerbait rod. The funny thing is no matter what rod I tried with that slower action, I never wanted to use it for bottom contact baits but the sensitivity on the Hammer I got really makes me want to throw a jig with it and there is no question it is stout enough to drive a big single hook home with it. I think it may be something to look at , it isn't fancy but it is light and it does perform and is in that same price range as the Zodias that is made in America with an American made blank and the blank is really nice.

paulito
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by paulito » Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:29 am

Hi!

I just got the Shimano Zodias 7'2" Heavy power. I went from a Poison Adrena 6'10" MH that broke on a hookset. The Heavy power is a true for tossing lures. I can toss large topwater walking baits, jerkbaits, etc with it as well. It has great sensitivity, you wont have trouble recognizing a subtle bite, nonetheless it is noticeably less sensitive than the Adrena. I would say that with added weight, there is a 2nd flex further down the rod (closer to the handle) when you have a good fish on the other end, which gives it more of a parabolic arch (just a tad bit more than a true Fast action). Dont worry about hooksets, you will drive the stout monster EWG Gamagatsu hooks home easily with the rod. I am very impressed with the Heavy action rod from Zodias! :) Lemme know if you have any other questions