Shimano Core 51 MG7

Here's your chance to speak directly with the TT Gear Crew. Post your questions, comments, experiences regarding tackle maintenance and super tuning
cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Shimano Core 51 MG7

Post by cadman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:40 pm

I got 5 of these reels to clean for a friend of mine. I noticed the 3 sets of bearings I took out look like sealed bearings. These are stock from shimano. (2 ) of them on the side plates and 1 under the main gear in the frame. Can these bearings be cleaned or are the permanently sealed? I normally clean all my bearings in an ultra-sonic cleaner in naphta then hand spin dry. Thanks in advance

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Shimano Core 51 MG7

Post by Jeffbro999 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:16 pm

Clean them just like you do any bearings. It’s just a pressed in shield(not sealed) as opposed to a shield held in with a retainer. Ultrasonic does a great job cleaning out those bearings without removal. It is possible to remove the shields, but there is a risk of damage.

cadman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Shimano Core 51 MG7

Post by cadman » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:19 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:16 pm
Clean them just like you do any bearings. It’s just a pressed in shield(not sealed) as opposed to a shield held in with a retainer. Ultrasonic does a great job cleaning out those bearings without removal. It is possible to remove the shields, but there is a risk of damage.
That's all the info I need. Thank You for the quick reply. :D :D :D