Replacements

The single most important aspect of your tackle providing that vital link between yourself and your catch. What's everyone's favorites and why? Come on in and find out!
DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Replacements

Post by DarkShadow » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:04 am

As everything in life, sometimes you lose something forever and have to find a replacement.

For me, it was the best FC that I've ever had the opportunity to use, but Sunline discontinued it:

Anybody had the pleasure of fishing this? Have no idea with Sunline discontinued it.

And no, the "Sniper Shooter" that they have now doesn't even come CLOSE to the Shooter Metan Invisible. I guess I can use the regular Shooter but I preferred the 'invisible' coloration of both lines.

Anything come close to replacing it?

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Replacements

Post by Johnny A » Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:33 pm

I was a big fan of several of Sunline products but felt they were starting to go down hill recently. Daiwa has a couple lines, J-Flouro Samurai Hidden Concept among them. I think it’s top notch.

PotatoLake
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by PotatoLake » Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:06 pm

I agree I've been very happy with the Daiwa Samurai, especially with flipping and pitching situations.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:37 pm

I'll add a third vote for the Daiwa J-Fluoro Samurai. I've been fishing it since it first came out and appreciate how good it is more now than ever. I buy the big spools :lol:

The "hidden" concept is interesting too...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:44 am

DarkShadow wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:04 am
As everything in life, sometimes you lose something forever and have to find a replacement.

For me, it was the best FC that I've ever had the opportunity to use, but Sunline discontinued it:

Anybody had the pleasure of fishing this? Have no idea with Sunline discontinued it.

And no, the "Sniper Shooter" that they have now doesn't even come CLOSE to the Shooter Metan Invisible. I guess I can use the regular Shooter but I preferred the 'invisible' coloration of both lines.

Anything come close to replacing it?
I was just about to suggest the JDM Sunline BMS and/or the Sunline Invisible before I read you tried them. The line you had posted must be great, because I love both the BMS and Invisible. Not as thin as US Sniper, but handles great, love the color, and seems to be strong.

Real
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Real » Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:59 am

Both of these lines seem great but I have trouble with the whole concept. Why would it be necessary to ad color to a line that is almost invisible in it's clear form ? If fluoro has the same refractive index as water wouldn't coloring it just make it more visible ?

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:18 am

Real wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:59 am
Both of these lines seem great but I have trouble with the whole concept. Why would it be necessary to ad color to a line that is almost invisible in it's clear form ? If fluoro has the same refractive index as water wouldn't coloring it just make it more visible ?
You are right concerning the fish, this is more for the user to see. Especially the case in the Sniper BMS which has bright orange and pink indicators. I love colored fluorocarbon, though I know clear is probably better, I just feel I can see it above water better and detect hits. Below it seems the refractive index kicks in and the colored lines are still nearly invisible.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:32 am

I picked up a spool of 8 and spooled my Core 50 with it, for some light Texas rig duties and so far, it has handled great. The true test will be longevity and abrasion resistance, since I've only managed to test it at my local pond which is pretty much a big swimming pool without any structure.

Something tells me I'm going to be having to buy these in bulk. LOL.
DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:44 am
I was just about to suggest the JDM Sunline BMS and/or the Sunline Invisible before I read you tried them. The line you had posted must be great, because I love both the BMS and Invisible. Not as thin as US Sniper, but handles great, love the color, and seems to be strong.
I was hoping to get a few people who had used the Metan Invisible and now are using the regular Shooter to see if they noticed any difference, and I sure did.

The Metan seemed 'softer' than the Shooter and had a smaller diameter with equal breaking strength. The running joke on my buddy's bass boat whenever we hooked a tree limb, is that the tree is in for a rough fight, and more often then not, the 8 pound Sunline held up, and without too much damage.

I still have spools of 2 and 3 pound test that I use for tippet material when I fly fish, and you should see the looks I get from the guys on the stream when I pull out that Sunline. If you know, you know.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:12 am

Real wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:59 am
The "hidden" concept, as it's told, goes something like this:

Fluoro acts like a fiber optic cable in terms of light transmission down into stained water making it "glow". The coating on the "hidden" concept line blocks this light transmission therefore reducing under water visibility of the line in stained conditions. I have no underwater footage to demonstrate this, but that's the story nonetheless. I do use Daiwa J-Fluoro Hidden primarily in stained water, and the standard in clear water. I really like the line regardless!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:48 pm

DarkShadow wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:32 am
I picked up a spool of 8 and spooled my Core 50 with it, for some light Texas rig duties and so far, it has handled great. The true test will be longevity and abrasion resistance, since I've only managed to test it at my local pond which is pretty much a big swimming pool without any structure.

Something tells me I'm going to be having to buy these in bulk. LOL.
DirtyD64 wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:44 am
I was hoping to get a few people who had used the Metan Invisible and now are using the regular Shooter to see if they noticed any difference, and I sure did.

The Metan seemed 'softer' than the Shooter and had a smaller diameter with equal breaking strength. The running joke on my buddy's bass boat whenever we hooked a tree limb, is that the tree is in for a rough fight, and more often then not, the 8 pound Sunline held up, and without too much damage.

I still have spools of 2 and 3 pound test that I use for tippet material when I fly fish, and you should see the looks I get from the guys on the stream when I pull out that Sunline. If you know, you know.
There is another classic thought I left out... That is the thought that the dye helps to soften the fluorocarbon line. I first heard this about HiSeas Quattro fluoro reading a TW review. I then posted that I had similar results. Wish I could be a better help to you, I did ironically just order my first spool of 14lb Shooter from Japan, never tried the exact dyed line you posted though.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:40 pm

Not sure what the "Metan" line is, I don't see it on the packaging anywhere, but I've been using the 8lb Shooter Invisible for a year or so. I picked up a couple spools cheap a long time ago and never really used it until recently. I am seriously impressed with the abrasion resistance and it is surprisingly hard to see the line above or under the water imo. I mostly fish rivers for smallmouth and 8lb sniper can get chewed up over the course of a day. The Shooter Invis was a large step up in abrasion resistance. Shocking to me really. I only have one 75m spool left so I recently picked up 8lb Shooter to try and hopefully it's comparable to the Shooter Invis in regard to abrasion resistance, it should be.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:49 pm

For those of you who are liking the J-Fluoro, are you primarily referring to higher tests? I tried a spool of the 7 and 10, didn't care for it much. Seemed fairly brittle compared to my primary lines. Slowest sinking fluoro I've ever used as well.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Mon Apr 03, 2023 11:19 am

So, after a few sessions with the J Floro, I've noticed something right off the bat.

The Shooter Invisible, as Mike son alludes to below, has some supernatural abrasion resistance. LOL. I rarely had to retie, and rarely got stuck and pulled the line out and had it come back with various knicks.

The J Floro? You better be conscious of knicks and abrasions. So far it's a great line, but nothing compared to the Shooter Invisible.

Let's see what it feels like after the year.
Mike son wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:40 pm
Not sure what the "Metan" line is, I don't see it on the packaging anywhere, but I've been using the 8lb Shooter Invisible for a year or so. I picked up a couple spools cheap a long time ago and never really used it until recently. I am seriously impressed with the abrasion resistance and it is surprisingly hard to see the line above or under the water imo. I mostly fish rivers for smallmouth and 8lb sniper can get chewed up over the course of a day. The Shooter Invis was a large step up in abrasion resistance. Shocking to me really. I only have one 75m spool left so I recently picked up 8lb Shooter to try and hopefully it's comparable to the Shooter Invis in regard to abrasion resistance, it should be.

Mike, I have NO idea why I always referred to it as METAN and maybe the old school JDM packaging had it written on it? But I also see stores calling it "Metan" too. Weird, since none of my packages read it. https://www.americanlegacyfishing.com/s ... b-75m.html

Mandela effect?

But, personally, the Shooter Invisible and Shooter are two different lines. The Shooter Invisible doesn't seem as stiff as the new Shooter, and seemed silkier? or slicker? than the regular Shooter. It almost seemed a tad thinner too, but that may have just been my imagination.

I know my buddy has a few spools of 8, but he's fished it too and I think has 'em behind lock and key. :-D

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:50 am

So, I've been fishing the line hard for 2 weeks now.

I've used it once off my buddy's boat fishing what I call a 'real lake, that has extensive natural cover. I've gotten stuck a few times, and after yanking and coming back with a Tree pounder, I've noticed that it frays very easily. Of course, I retie and go on with the day.

I live 5 minutes away from a city pond. This pond is literally a big swimming pool, with ZERO natural cover, and the only man made cover coming in the way of tubes and pipes that are used to aerate and filter the water. This is the type of lake that if you were to throw a jig, you could cut off the entire weed guard and be ok.

I've fished the line in this pond about 10 times. Caught some fish, but nothing that would really test it as they were all your cookie cuter 2 pounders. Yesterday, I was about to make my last casts and call it a day. At this point of the day, my mind isn't really focused and I didn't pay attention that I had developed a big bow in my line thanks to the wind that had turned on. And from the corner of my eye (because I wasn't even staring forward towards my line) I see my line start taking off in one direction.

I was kinda confused to tell you the truth and thought the wind was playing games on me, and I 'half ass' set the hook. You know the type of hookset? The one that you're like, "maybe that's a fish?" and you kinda just jerk a bit?

I reeled in nothing. I looked at the end of my line and it looks like it had been cut clean with a pair of scissors. No pig tail at the end, no knot failure. It was the weirdest thing ever. Even with a hard MLF Pro hookset, I couldn't envision this happening, let alone with a half assed hook set that had zero OOompf behind it.

[-o< I'm hoping this doesn't become a problem.

DarkShadow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by DarkShadow » Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:12 am

You'll definitely have to baby this line.

At my local pond today, I saw a bass sitting right against the cement retaining wall, and I stepped back knowing I could dangle my worm without the fish noticing me.

I had about....2 feet of line out, and gently lowered the worm and THWACK!

I straight lined the fish straight up and as it's flopping on the grass, SNAP.

:?

I just have to be constantly retying with this line it seems.